- Volume 54 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Experimental and numerical investigation of expanded metal tube absorber under axial impact loading
- Nouri, M. Damghani (Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Semnan University) ;
- Hatami, H. (Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Semnan University) ;
- Jahromi, A. Ghodsbin (Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Semnan University)
- Received : 2014.08.21
- Accepted : 2015.05.05
- Published : 2015.06.25
In this research, the cylindrical absorber made of expanded metal sheets under impact loading has been examined. Expanded metal sheets due to their low weight, effective collapse mechanism has a high energy absorption capacity. Two types of absorbers with different cells angle were examined. First, the absorber with cell angle
- ABAQUS Analysis User's Manual (2010), v6.10 Section 6.3.3, Explicit Dynamic Analysis.
- Alghamdi, A.A.A. (2001), "Collapsible impact energy absorbers: an overview", Thin Wall. Struct., 39, 189-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8231(00)00048-3
- ANSI/ASTM A611-72 (1979), Standard Specification for STEEl, COLD-ROLLED SHEET, CARBON, STRUCTURAL.
- Dietenberger, M., Buyuk, M. and Kan, C.D. (2005), "Development of high strain-rate dependent vehicle model", FHWA/NHTSA National crash Analysis Center.
- EMMA (Expanded Metal Manufacturers Association) (2012), Division of the National Association of Architectural Metal Manufacturers (NAAM), EMMA 557-12: Standards for Expanded Metal.
- Ghamarian, A., Zarei, H.R. and Abadi, M.T. (2011), "Experimental and Numerical Crashworthiness Investigation of Empty and Foam-filled End-capped Conical Tubes", Thin Wall. Struct., 49(10), 1312-1319. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2011.03.005
- Graciano, C., Martinez, G. and Smith, D. (2009), "Experimental investigation on the axial collapse of expanded metal tubes", Thin Wall. Struct., 47, 953-961. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2009.02.002
- Graciano, C., Martinez, G. and Gutierrez, A. (2012), "Failure mechanism of expanded metal tubes under axial crushing", Thin Wall. Struct., 51, 20-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2011.11.001
- Gupta, N.K. and Venkatesh. (2006), "A study of the influence of diameter and wall thickness of cylindrical tubes on their axial collapse", Thin Wall. Struct., 44, 290-300. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2006.03.005
- Huang, M.Y., Tai, Y.S. and Hu, H.T. (2010), "Dynamic crushing characteristics of high strength steel cylinders with elliptical geometric discontinuities", Theo. Appl. Fract. Mech., 54, 44-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tafmec.2010.06.014
- Johnson, G.R. and Cook, WH. (1983), "A constitutive model and data for metals subjected to large strains, high strain rates and high temperatures", Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Ballistics, Hague, Netherlands.
- Jones, N. (2010), "Dynamic energy absorption and perforation of ductile structures", Int. J. Press. Vess. Pip., 87, 482-492. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpvp.2010.07.004
- Jones, N. (2010), "Energy-absorbing effectiveness factor", Int. J. Impact Eng., 37, 754-765. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2009.01.008
- Li, Z., Yu, J. and Guo, L. (2012), "Deformation and energy absorption of aluminum foam-filled tubes subjected to oblique loading", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 54, 48-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2011.09.006
- Martinez, G., Graciano, C. and Teixeira, P. (2013), "Energy absorption of axially crushed expanded metal tubes", Thin Wall. Struct., 71, 134-146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2013.05.003
- Nia, A.A. and Hamedani, J.H. (2010), "Comparative analysis of energy absorption and deformations of thin walled tubes with various section geometries", Thin Wall. Struct., 48, 946-954. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2010.07.003
- Olabi, A.G., Morris, E. and Hashmi, M.S.J. (2007), "Metallic tube type energy absorbers a synopsis", Thin Wall. Struct., 45(7-8), 706-726. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2007.05.003
- Qu, H., Huo, J., Xu,C. and Fu, F. (2014), "Numerical studies on dynamic behavior of tubular T-joint subjected to impact loading", Int. J. Impact Eng., 67, 12-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2014.01.002
- Smith, D., Graciano, C., Martinez, G. and Teixeira, P. (2014), "Axial crushing of flattened expanded metal tubes", Thin Wall. Struct., 85, 42-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2014.08.001
- Song, J., Chen, Y. and Lu, G. (2013), "Light-Weight thin-walled structures whit patterned windows under axial crushing", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 66, 239-248. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2012.11.014
- Tai, Y.S., Huang, M.Y. and Hu, H.T. (2010), "Axial compression and energy absorption characteristics of high-strength thin-walled cylinders under impact load", Theo. Appl. Fract. Mech., 53, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tafmec.2009.12.001
- Theodore, N. and Recht, R.F. (1990), High Velocity Impact Dynamics, Chapter 1 Introduction to Impact Phenomena, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY.
- Zachary, A. and Ensign, K. (2005), Determination of the Constitutive Equations for 1080 Steel and Vascomax 300, Air force institute of technology, Air Force Univercity.
- Zhang, X., Cheng, G., You, Z. and Zhang, H. (2007), "Energy absorption of axially compressed thin-walled square tubes with patterns", Thin Wall. Struct., 45(9), 737-746. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2007.06.004
- Axial Crushing of Concentric Expanded Metal Tubes Under Impact Loading vol.14, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1590/1679-78253670
- Numerical and Experimental Investigation of SS304L Cylindrical Shell with Cutout Under Uniaxial Cyclic Loading 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40997-017-0120-2
- Buffering sandwiches made of thermoplastic polyurethane honeycomb grids: Manufacturing technique and property evaluations 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1099636217739547
- Energy absorption performance on multilayer expanded metal tubes under axial impact vol.116, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2017.03.005
- Polypropylene fiber reinforced concrete plates under fluid impact. Part I: experiments vol.60, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.60.2.211
- A theoretical analysis of the energy absorption response of expanded metal tubes under impact loads vol.109, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2017.06.009
- Penetration performance of axisymmetric U-shape-nose grooved projectile into aluminum target: Theoretical model and experiment vol.15, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/1679-78254511