- Volume 39 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Perceived Value Dimensions of Up-cycling Fashion Goods and the Relationship with Attitude and Purchase Intention -The Moderating Effect of Fashion Innovativeness-
업사이클링 패션제품의 지각된 가치 차원과 태도 및 구매의도의 관계 -유행혁신성의 조절효과-
- Park, Hyun Hee (School of Business Administration, Kyungpook National University)
- 박현희 (경북대학교 경영학부)
- Received : 2014.09.25
- Accepted : 2014.11.20
- Published : 2015.04.30
This study investigates the effect of perceived value on attitude and purchase intention of upcycling fashion goods. The study also examines the effect of perceived value on attitudes according to fashion innovativeness. The qualitative data analysis results from NVivo 10.0 showed that consumers paid attention to the creative design value, environmental value, scarcity value of upcycling fashion goods. Next, 201 effective questionnaires were analyzed using SPSS 22.0 and AMOS 20.0. The results are as follows. First, there were 5 factor solutions for the perceived value of up-cycling fashion goods: environmental value, creative design value, functional value, emotional value, and self-expression value. Second, environmental value, functional value, and self-expression value positively affected attitude; however, creative design value and emotional value did not affect attitude. Third, attitude positively influenced purchase intention of upcycling fashion goods. Fourth, there was a significant difference in the magnitude of the effect of self-expression value on attitude according to fashion innovativeness. The results of this study provide useful information for marketers or managers interested in upcycling fashion goods.
- Baik, E., & Kim, J. H. (2014). A study on the trend analysis of upcycling furniture design. Journal of the Korean Furniture Society, 25(2), 112-121.
- Bagozzi, R. P., & Yi, Y. (1988). On the evaluation of structural equation models. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 16(1), 74-94. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02723327
- Belk, R. W. (1988). Possession and the extended self. Journal of Consumer Research, 15(2), 139-168. https://doi.org/10.1086/209154
- Chae, J. M., Cho, H. S., & Lee, J. H. (2009). A study on consumer acceptance toward the commercialized smart clothing. Korean Journal of the Science of Emotion & Sensibility, 12(2), 181-192.
- Chandy, R. K., & Tellis, G. J. (1998). Organizing for radical product innovation: The overlooked role of willingness to cannibalize. Journal of Marketing Research, 35(4), 474-487. https://doi.org/10.2307/3152166
- Cho, H. J. (2010). Aspect and meaning of social discussion in media discourse of clothing reuses. The Study of Practice Folkloristics, 16, 121-165.
- Choo, T. G., & Park, H. H. (2013). The effect of consumption value on attitude and repurchase intention of secondhand fashion goods-The moderating role of self-confidence in fashion coordination-. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 37(4), 618-630. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2013.37.4.618 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2013.37.4.618
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, D. F. (1981). Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research, 18(1), 39-50. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- Goldsmith, R. E., & Flynn, L. R. (1992). Identifying innovators in consumer product markets. European Journal of Marketing, 26(12), 42-55. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090569210022498
- Ha, S. N., & Lee, J. K. (2013a). A study on company cases of upcycling design activation. Journal of Korean Society of Design Science, 26(3), 305-325.
- Ha, S. N., & Lee, J. K. (2013b). A study on upcycling design education of students majoring in design. Journal of the Korea Institute of the Spatial Design, 9(1), 149-158.
- Ha, S. Y., & Park, J. O. (2010). Analysis of values and design elements in eco-friendly fashion using an in-depth interview. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(10), 1754-1766. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.10.1754
- Homer, P. M., & Kahle, L. R. (1988). A structural equation test of the value-attitude-behavior hierarchy. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 54(4), 638-646. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.528
- Hong, B. S., Lee, E. J., & Chu, Y. J. (2010). The effect of environmental values of fashion consumers on purchase satisfaction and repurchase intention of eco-friendly fashion products. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 12(4), 431-438. https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2010.12.4.431
- Hong, H. S., & Hong, B. S. (2008). Perceived risks and benefits to natural dyeing product: The role of product knowledge. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 32(9), 1343-1355. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2008.32.9.1343
- James, G. S., & Osgood, C. E. (Eds.). (1969). Semantic differential technique: A sourcebook. Chicago, IL: Aldine Publishing Company.
- Jun, D. K. (2007). The effects of clothing consumers' innate innovativeness on fashion innovativeness and fashion adoption. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Kang, K. Y., & Jin, H. J. (2007). Influences of consumers' fashion innovativeness and technological innovativeness on attitudes and buying intention toward smart clothing. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 9(1), 35-40.
- Kim, A. J. Y., & Ko, E. J. (2010). The impact of design characteristics on brand attitude and purchase intention: Focus on luxury fashion brands. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(2), 252-265. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.2.252
- Kim, H. J. (2014). A study of high value-added upcycled handbag designs for the Dubai luxury fashion market. Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion Design, 14(1), 173-188.
- Kim, H. J., & Hwang, S. J. (2011). The influence of perceived value and perceived risk on consumer purchasing behavior for imported apparel in internet shopping malls. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 61(4), 63-75.
- Kim, S. A. (2014). A study on business creation through the upcycling design: A case study on the “The nanugi” project. Bulletin of Korean Society of Basic Design & Art, 15(2), 13-23.
- Kim, S. H., & Kang, J. Y. (2005). Effects of consumer characteristics on benefits sought and importance in attributes of durable goods: Emphasis on consumer innovativeness, social sensitivity, and consumer knowledge. Journal of Korean Marketing Association, 20(4), 209-226.
- Kim, S. J., & Kim, H. J. (2013). The impact of consumption value on the attitude toward luxury brand's real goods and counterfeiting. Journal of Consumption Culture, 16(4), 129-142. https://doi.org/10.17053/jcc.2013.16.4.006
- Kim, S. Y. (2012). A study on the up-cycling trend in fashion for environment-friendly design. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 36(3), 297-310. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2012.36.3.297 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2012.36.3.297
- Kong, H. W. (2010). A study on the effects of values, consumption values, environment conscious behavior on consumer's attitude and purchase behavior of environment-friendly goods. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Kwan, J. S. (2012). Based on the perspective of sustainability, the characteristics of upcycle fashion design. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 14(1), 13-23. doi:10.5805/KSCI.2012.14.1.013 https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2012.14.1.013
- Kwon, S. H., & Kim, T. U., & Lee, Y. G. (2003). The roles of customer's perceived value, satisfaction, trust and their relationship with loyalty in internet shopping environment. Korean Management Science Review, 20(1), 149-163.
- Lee, E. J., & Hong, B. S. (2006). The effect of flow experience and perceived utilitarian value of internet shopping on purchase intention of the fashion merchandise. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 30(8), 1188-1198.
- Lee, M. J., Lee, S. H., Song, J. H., & Hong, S. H. (2011). The effect of materialistic values, recycling belief and recycling attitude on the shopping behavior of recycling products. Journal of Marketing Studies, 19(4), 171-187. https://doi.org/10.1080/0965254X.2011.557741
- Lee, M. S., & Ryou, E. J. (2011). Consumption behavior according to purchase experience of natural dyeing fashion products. Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture, 17(3), 526-540.
- Lee, S. J., & Han, E. K. (2013). Media use and consumption values: Cultivation theory and socialization theory. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 24(8), 257-275. doi:10.14377/KJA.2013.11.30.257 https://doi.org/10.14377/KJA.2013.11.30.257
- Moon, H. K., & Choo, H. J. (2008). The effects of clothing consumption values on ambivalent clothing consuming behavior. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 58(2), 1-14.
- Nam, S. J. (2007). The effects of individualism/collectivism and consumption values on the consumption self-regulation. Journal of Consumption Culture, 10(3), 59-86. https://doi.org/10.17053/jcc.2007.10.3.004
- Noh, M. J., Park, H. H., & Jang, H. Y. (2011). An effect of the perceived value on the trust and acceptance intention of the smart clothing: Moderating effect of price involvement toward clothing. Journal of Business Research, 26(3), 123-147.
- Park, C. W. (2009). NVivo 8 프로그램의 활용: 현장 연구자를 위한 질적데이터의 과학적 관리와 분석 [Use of NVivo 8 program: Scientific management and analysis of qualitative data for field researcher]. Seoul: Hyungseul.
- Park, C. W. (2012). 질적 자료 분석: NVivo 10 응용 [Qualitative data analysis: NVivo 10 application]. Busan: Pukyong National University Press.
- Park, H. H., & Noh, M. J. (2012). The influence of innovativeness and price sensitivity on purchase intention of smart wear. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 36(2), 218-230. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2012.36.2.218 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2012.36.2.218
- Park, J. M., & Shin, H. W. (2014). Environmental consciousness, clothing recycling behavior and interest in fashion by awareness of upcycling and purchasing behavior for upcycled fashion products of middle & high school students. Journal of Korean Home Economics Education Association, 26(2), 89-99.
- Park, J. Y., Lee, A. H., & Choi, J. Y. (2008). Influence of consumption value and beliefs on attitudes towards luxury brands. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 10(2), 191-197.
- Rhee, E. Y., & Chung, I. H. (2010). Research methodology in clothing & textiles (2nd ed.). Paju: Kyomunsa.
- Rhee, S. H., & Park, S. H. (2010). Study on the brand personality preference by consumer value. Advertising Research, 85, 191-228.
- Sheth, J. N., Newman, B. I., & Gross, B. L. (1991). Consumption values and market choices: Theory and applications. Cincinnati, OH: South-Western Publishing Co.
- Thompson, C. J., & Troester, M. (2002). Consumer value systems in the age of postmodern fragmentation: The case of the natural health microculture. Journal of Consumer Research, 28(4), 550-571. https://doi.org/10.1086/338213
- Tiger, D. J., Ring, L. J., & King, C. W. (1976). Fashion involvement and buying behavior: A methodological study. Advances in Consumer Research, 3(1), 46-52.
- Vinson, D. E., Scott, J. E., & Lamont, L. M. (1977). The role of personal value in marketing and consumer behavior. Journal of Marketing, 41(2), 44-55. https://doi.org/10.2307/1250633
- Wang, K. H. (2014). A study on characteristics of material types in upcycling bag design. Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture, 20(2), 337-351.
- Wong, K. D., & Fan, Q. (2013). Building information modelling (BIM) for sustainable building design. Facilities, 31 (3/4), 138-157. doi:10.1108/02632771311299412 https://doi.org/10.1108/02632771311299412
- Yang, Y., & Kang, S. S. (2002). The differences in consumer innovation and information acquisition behavior based on impulse buying tendency. Advertising Research, 57, 53-74.
- Yim, E. Y. (2014). Analysis on upcycling design cases. Bulletin of Korean Society of Basic Design & Art, 15(2), 11-19.
- Yoo, H. S. (2012). Ethical fashion in the fashion industry: Focusing on the actualization of sustainable fashion. Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion Design, 12(2), 39-57.
- Yoon, N. H., & Youn, S. Y. (2010). The effects of fashion luxury consumption values on the perceived acquisition value and the role of reservation price. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 18(4), 774-788. https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2010.18.4.774
- Perceived Consumption Value, Pro-Environmental Belief, Attitude, eWOM, and Purchase Intention Toward Upcycling Fashion Products vol.20, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2018.20.2.177
- The effect of perceived value and risk on purchasing intention of up-cycling fashion product vol.26, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2018.26.6.899