- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Attitudes towards Death and Euthanasia among Nurses and Nursing students : In Convergence era
융복합 시대의 간호사와 간호대학생의 죽음과 안락사에 대한 태도
- Lee, Yong-Mi (Department of Nursing, Kangwon National University) ;
- Jung, Kye-A (Department of Nursing, Kangwon National University) ;
- Son, Mi-Ae (Department of Nursing, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2015.03.23
- Accepted : 2015.06.20
- Published : 2015.06.28
The purpose of the study was to investigate the attitudes towards death and euthanasia of Nurses and Nursing students live in convergence era. The participants were 380 nurses and nursing students and data were collected from May until June of 2014. The data were collected by means of self reported questionnaires and analyzed using descriptive statistics t-test, one-way ANOVA and Scheffe test with the SPSS/WIN 18.0 program. The result showed that the fear of death of others with nursing students was higher than nurses (t=-3.34, p=.001) and nursing students supported euthanasia more than nurses(t=-3.06, p=.002). Among the death attitude, both of the nurses and the nursing students had the highest score 'fear of their own dying' and the lowest score 'fear of the dying of others'. Regarding attitude to euthanasia, both of them the most important factor was 'the right of the client'. These results suggest that death education program to deal with nursing services without ethical conflicts should be developed.
- H. K. Seo, Study of Attitudes toward the Death of the Elderly Korean and American. The Korean Gerontological Society, Vol.7, No. 1, pp.36-60, 1987.
- Statistic Korea, 2012 Death Statistics, http://meta.narastat.kr(October 1, 2014)
- S. N.,Kim, Attitudes towards Euthanasia among Physicians and Nurses, Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, Vol.18, No.2, pp.137-146, 2009..
- K. S. Choi, Death with Dignity and Voluntary Passive Euthanasia. Korea Journal of Medical Ethics. Vol.12, No.1, pp.61-79, 2009.
- J. Y. Choe, B. G. Kwon, The Current Debates and Social Trends Regarding Euthanasia and the Withdrawal of Life-sustaining Treatment in Korea. Korean Journal of Medical Ethics. Vol.12, No.2, pp.127-142, 2009.
- A. K. Kim, Development of a Scale to Measure Attitude Euthanasia by Korean Nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamental Nursing. Vol.8, No.1, pp.95-104, 2001.
- J. H. Lee, H. Y. Kim, S. K. Kim, A Study on Attitude of Nursing Students toward Euthanasia. Nursing Science Research Institute Chung-Ang University. Vol.8, No.1, pp41-49. 2004.
- M. H. Sung, J. C. Jeon, H. J. Mo, Nurse's Perceptions and Attitudes towards Euthanasia. Journal of Korean Oncology Nursing. Vol.7, No. 2, pp. 140-149. 2007
- J. R. Moon, Attitude on the withdrawal of meaningless life-sustaining treatment and ethical values of clinical nurses. Master's thesis, Catholic University of Pusan, Busan. 2013.
- K. J. Lee, An analytical study on Attitudes of Nursing towards Euthanasia. Master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul. 2001.
- K. M. Park, A Study on Attitudes of Clinical Nurse's towards Death and Dying patients. Keimyung University Research Institute of Nursing Science. Vol.7, No.1, pp.1-10, 2003.
- Y. E. Lee, H. S. Park, S. K. Son, The Relationship between Spiritual Welling-Being and Attitude toward Death in Nursing students. Faith and Scholarship. Vol.12, No.3, pp.195-232, 2007.
- DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1191/0969733006ne881oa https://doi.org/10.1191/0969733006ne881oa
- Stewart AE, Lord JH, Mercer DL, "A survey of pofessional's training and experiences in delivering death notification", Death study, Vol 24, No.7, pp.611-631, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1080/07481180050132811
- K. S. Kang, A Study on the Nursing Students Attitude on Death and Hospice. Chunnam Journal of Nursing Science, Vol.5, No.1, pp.187-202, 2000
- M. K. Jeon, M. Y. Moon, A. H. Jaung, Relationship between Nurses' Consciousness of Biomedical ethics, Job satisfaction and nursing performance. Jounal of Korean Bioethics Association. Vol.14, No.1, pp.27-47. 2013.
- M. K. Cho, A comparative study on the consciousness of bio-medical ethics of nursing and non-nursing students. The Society of Digital Policy & Management. Vol.11, No.4, pp.311-320, 2013.
- DOI:.http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.10.375 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.10.375
- DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.5388/aon.2013.13.4.265 https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2013.13.4.265
- S. Y. Jung, E. K. Lee, B. H. Kim, J. H. Park, M, K, Han, I. K. Kim, Attitude toward Death in Nursing Students. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. Vol.17, No.2, pp.168-177, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.2.168
- A. K. Kim, The study of attitude passive euthanasia among Korean nurses. Jounal of Korean Academy of Fundamental Nursing. Vol.9, No.1, pp.76-85, 2002.
- C. H. Lee, Smart Learning strategies for STEAM Education. The Korean Association of Practical Arts education. Vol25, No4. pp123-147. 2012.
- H. S. Cho, J. H. Lee, A Legal Study on the Euthanasia. Korean Law Association. Vol.49, pp63-90. 2013.
- L, J. Collett and D. Lester, "Fear of death and the fear of dying", J. of Psychology, Vol72, pp.179-181, 1969. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980.1969.10543496
- D. Y. Eo, Nurse's death anxiety and attitude concerning hospice care. Master's thesis. Catholic University of Pusan, Busan. 2010.
- DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1188/05.ONF.97-104 https://doi.org/10.1188/05.ONF.97-104
- H. M. Son, Perception and Attitudes of Nurses toward Euthanasia. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamental Nursing. Vol.11, No.3, pp.309-316, 2004.
- C. Y. Cho, Research of how the attitude of old people toward their own death affect their self-esteem. Journal of Welare for the Aged. Vol.63, pp.203-227, 2014.
- Y. R. Han, I. H. Kim, Attitude toward Death and Recognition of Hospice of Community Dwellers. Korean Society of Pubic Health Nursing, Vol.22, No.1, pp.49-61, 2008.
- C. S. Kim, A Study on the Nursing Student's Attitude on Euthanasia. Korean Journal of Hospice care. Vol.6, No.2, pp.10-18, 2005.
- J. W. Yun,. The Factor Affecting Attitudes of Patient's Family Members toward Euthanasia for the Almost Dying Patients. Master's thesis, Kyungpook National University, Daegu. 2010
- M. S. Hong, A Study on Attitude of Nurses toward Euthanasia. Journal of Korean pubic Health Nursing. Vol.14, No.2, pp.446-463, 2000.
- DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2013.19.2.88 https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2013.19.2.88
- I. J. Seo, Meaning of life for hospital nurses. Master's thesis, Catholic University of Pusan, Busan. 2011.
- Recognition of Good Death, Attitude towards the Withdrawal of Life-Sustaining Treatment, and Attitude towards Euthanasia in Nurses vol.19, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2016.19.2.136