- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Influencing factors of self-reported dry mouth in the employees in social welfare facilities
일부 지역 사회복지시설 종사자의 주관적 구강건조증에 영향 요인
- Lim, Sun-A (Department of Dental Hygiene, Songwon University) ;
- Jung, Eun-Ju (Department of Dental Hygiene, Cheongam College) ;
- Youn, Hye-Jeong (Department of Dental Hygiene, Suwon women's University)
- Received : 2015.04.24
- Accepted : 2015.07.30
- Published : 2015.08.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study was to examine the influencing factors of self-reported dry mouth in the employees in social welfare facilities. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 260 employees in social welfare facilities from January 5 to 30, 2015 by convenience sampling method. Except 25 incomplete answers, 215 data were analyzed by t test, one way ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient analysis, and multiple linear regression analysis using SPSS 180. program. The questionnaire consisted of general characteristics of the subjects, health-related characteristics, whole body dryness and self-reported dry mouth. The oral health-related quality of life was measured by five point Likert scale, and a higher score indicated a lower quality of life. Results: The self-reported dry mouth in the employees in the social welfare facilities varied by the general health status, stress, oral health status and oral malodor. The self-reported dry mouth was closely related to the quality of life and the four subfactors including dryness of skin, eye, lip and nasal mucosa. The quality of life had the influence on the self-reported dry mouth, nasal mucosa dryness, eye dryness, and oral malodor in order. Conclusions: The self-reported dry mouth was closely related to whole body dryness and the quality of life. It is necessary to develop the quality of life improvement programs that prevent and manage the dry mouth and whole body dryness in the employees in the social welfare facilities.
Supported by : 송원대학교
- Ryoo SB. A study on the quality of life for social welfare workers-focused on the effects of dlderly life preparation and job satisfaction-[Doctoral dissertation]. Gwangju: Univ. of Chonnam, 2013.
- Kim JE. The impact of job stress on mental health of social workers[Master's thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Kyungpook, 2012.
- Kim BY. Study on the job stress management of social welfare facility workers-focusing on employee assistance programs-[Master's thesis]. Cheonan: Univ. of Namseoul, 2013.
- Chai GM. The problems of social welfare facilities and the assignments and strategies for improvements. Social Welfare Policy 2003; 16: 79-106.
- Chang SJ, Koh SB, Kang DM, Kim SA, Kang MG. Lee CG, et al. Developing an ossupational stress scale for Korean employees. J Occup Environ Med 2005; 17(4): 297-317.
- Fox PC, van der Ven PF, Sonies BC, Weiffenbach JM, Baum BJ. Xerostomia: evaluation of a symptom with increasing significance. J Am Dent Assoc 1985; 110(4): 519-25. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1985.0384
- Guggenheimer J, Moore PA. Xerostomia: etiology, recognition and treatment. J Am Dent Assoc 2003; 134(1): 61-9. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2003.0018
- Cassolato SF, Turnbull RS. Xerostomia: clinical aspects and treatment. Gerodont 2003; 20(2): 64-77. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.2003.00064.x
- von Knorring L, Mornstad H. Qualitative changes in saliva composition after short-term administration of imipramine and zimelidine in healthy volunteers. Scand J Dent Res 1981; 89(4): 313-20.
- Nederfors T, Isaksson R, Mornstad H, Dahlof C. Prevalence of perceived symptoms of dry mouth in an adult Swedish population-relation to age, sex and pharmacotherapy. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1997; 25(3): 211-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1997.tb00928.x
- Kim ME. The effect of job stress im jobholders on xerostomia. J Korean Soc Dent hyg 2012; 12(1): 1-15. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.1.001
- Nam MJ, Uum DC. Correlation between oral dryness and stress level of college students. J Korea Acad Industr Coop Soc 2011; 12(90): 4030-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.562/KAIS.2011.12.9.4030. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.9.4030
- Kim SJ, Choi JS. The associated factors with xerostomia in patients with systemic disease. J Dent Hyg Sci 2013; 13(4): 386-92.
- Kim SS, Youn HJ. Associated factors of self-reported dry mouth in adults. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015; 15(1): 55-62. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.01.55. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.01.55
- Lee JY, Lee YO, Kho HS. Reliability of a questionnaire for evaluation of dry mouth symptoms. Oral Medicine 2005; 30(4): 383-9.
- Yoon MH. Association between oral health and health-related quality of life in adults[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Korea, 2008.
- Thomson WM, Williams SM. Further testing of the xerostomia inventory. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2000; 89(1): 46-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1079-2104(00)80013-X
- Bergdahl M, Bergdahl J. Low unstimulated salivary flow and subjective oral dryness: association with medication, anxiety, depression, and stress. J Dent Res 2000; 79(9): 1652-8. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345000790090301
- Eli I, Kleinhauz M, Baht R, Littner M. Antecedents of burning mouth syndrome (glossodynia)-recent life events vs. psychopathologic aspects. J Dent Res 1994; 73(2): 567-72.
- Park HJ, Shim YS. Adults self-reported of dry mouth and it's associated impact factors. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(5): 973-85. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.5.973
- Thomson WM, Poulton R, Mark Broadbent J, Al-Kubaisy S. Xerostomia and medications among 32-year-olds. Acta Odontol Scand 2006; 64(4): 249-54. https://doi.org/10.1080/00016350600633243
- Kim SJ, Choi JS. The associated factors with xerostomia in patients with systemic diseases. J Dent Hyg Sci 2013; 13(4): 386-92.
- Han HS, Kwon DA, Kim RN, Kim YN, Lee GH, Lee NR, et al. The associated factors with xerostomia in adults aged 30 years and over. J Dent Hyg Sci 2013; 13(1): 62-70.
- Hong MH. Influence of daily stress to oral symptoms amogn adults. J Dent Hyg Sci 2013; 13(1): 20-8.
- Lee MR, Choi JS. Self-reported halitosis and the associated factors in adults. J Dent Hyg Sci 2013; 13(2); 142-50.
- Oral health-related quality of life in social welfare workers according to oral health status vol.16, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.02.277