- Volume 42 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Improving the Lifetime of NAND Flash-based Storages by Min-hash Assisted Delta Compression Engine
MADE (Minhash-Assisted Delta Compression Engine) : 델타 압축 기반의 낸드 플래시 저장장치 내구성 향상 기법
- Received : 2015.01.08
- Accepted : 2015.05.29
- Published : 2015.09.15
In this paper, we propose the Min-hash Assisted Delta-compression Engine(MADE) to improve the lifetime of NAND flash-based storages at the device level. MADE effectively reduces the write traffic to NAND flash through the use of a novel delta compression scheme. The delta compression performance was optimized by introducing min-hash based LSH(Locality Sensitive Hash) and efficiently combining it with our delta compression method. We also developed a delta encoding technique that has functionality equivalent to deduplication and lossless compression. The results of our experiment show that MADE reduces the amount of data written on NAND flash by up to 90%, which is better than a simple combination of deduplication and lossless compression schemes by 12% on average.
Supported by : 서울대학교, 한국연구재단
- Lee, Sungjin, et al., "Improving performance and lifetime of solid-state drives using hardware-accelerated compression," Consumer Electronics, IEEE Transactions on, Vol. 57, issue 4, pp. 1732-1739, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2011.6131148
- Chen, Feng, et al., "CAFTL: A Content-Aware Flash Translation Layer Enhancing the Lifespan of Flash Memory based Solid State Drives," Proc. of the 9th Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST), 2011.
- Wu, Guanying, and He, Xubin, "Delta-FTL: improving SSD lifetime via exploiting content locality," Proc. of the 7th ACM European Conference on Computer Systems (EuroSys), pp. 253-266, 2012.
- R. N. Williams, "An extremely fast ziv-lempel data compression algorithm," Proc. of the Data Compression Conference, pp. 362-371, 1991.
- Shilane, Phlip, et al., "WAN-optimizzed replication of backup datasets using stream-informed delta compression," ACM Transactions on Storage (TOS), 2012, Vol. 8, issue 4, No. 13.
- Bentley, Jon, and Douglas, McIlroy, "Data compression using long common strings," Proc. of Data Compression Conference. IEEE, pp. 287-295, 1999.
- Rajaraman, Anand, and Ullman, "Mining of massive datasets," Cambridge University Press, pp. 71-126, 2011.
- Korn, D, Macdonald, J, and Mogul, J, "RFC 3284: The vcdiff generic differencing and compression data format," Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), 2002.