- Volume 52 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Block-based Contrast Enhancement Algorithm for X-ray Images
X-ray 영상을 위한 블록 기반 대비 개선 기법
- Choi, Kwang Yeon (Department of Electronic Engineering, Inha University) ;
- Song, Byung Cheol (Department of Electronic Engineering, Inha University)
- Received : 2015.06.17
- Accepted : 2015.09.24
- Published : 2015.10.25
If typical contrast enhancement algorithms for natural images are applied to X-ray images, they may cause artifacts such as overshooting or produce unnatural visual quality because they do not consider inherent characteristics of X-ray images. In order to overcome such problems, we propose a locally adaptive block-based contrast enhancement algorithm for X-ray images. After we derive a weighted cumulative distribution function for each block, we apply it to each block for contrast enhancement. Then, we obtain images that are removed from block effect by adopting block-based overlapping. In post-processing, we obtain the final image by emphasizing high frequency components. Experimental results show that the proposed block-based contrast enhancement algorithm provides at maximum 5-times higher visual quality than the exiting algorithm in terms of quantitative contrast metric.
- R. C. Gonzalez, R. E. Woods, Digital image processing. 2nd ed. Reading, MA. Addison-Wesley, pp. 85-103, 1992.
- M. Abdullah-Al-Wadud, M. Hasanul Kabir, M. Ali Akber Dewan, and Oksam Chae, "A dynamic histogram equalization for image contrast enhancement," IEEE Trans. Consumer Electron., vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 593-600, May 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2007.381734
- C. H. Lu, H. Y. Hsu, L. Wang, "A new contrast enhancement technique by adaptively increasing the value of histogram," in IEEE International Workshop on Imaging Systems and Techniques, China, pp. 407-411, 2009.
- S. D. Chen and A. Rahman Ramni, "Contrast enhancement using recursive mean-separate histogram equalization for scalable brightness preservation," IEEE Trans. Consumer Electron., vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 1301-1309, Nov. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2003.1261233
- G. H. Park, H. H. Cho, M. R. Choi, "A contrast enhancement method using dynamic range separate histogram equalization," IEEE Trans. Consumer Electron., vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 1981-1987, Nov. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2008.4711262
- S. C. Huang, F. C. Cheng, and Y, S. Chiu, "Efficient contrast enhancement using adaptive gamma correction with weighting distribution," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 1032-1041, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2012.2226047
- K. Kokufuta and T. Maruyama, "Real-time processing of local contrast enhancement on FPGA," in International Conference on Field Programmable Logic and Applications, Prague, pp. 288-293, 2009.
- J. A. Stark, "Adaptive image contrast enhancement using generalizations of histogram equalization," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 889-896, May 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/83.841534
- T. K. Kim, J. K. Paik and B. S. Kang, "Contrast enhancement system using spatially adaptive histogram equalization with temporal filtering," IEEE Trans. Consumer Electron., vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 82-86, Feb. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/30.663733
- K. Zuiderveld, "Contrast limited adaptive histogram equalization," Graphics Gems IV, pp. 474-485. Academic Press Professional, Inc., 1994.
- B. Liu, W. Jin, Y. Chen, C. Liu, and L. Li, "Contrast enhancement using non-overlapped sub-blocks and local histogram projection," IEEE Trans. Consumer Electron., vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 583-588, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2011.5955195
- T. Qiu, A. Wang, N. Yu, and A. Song, "LLSURE: local linear SURE-based edge-preserving image filtering," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 80-90, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2012.2214052
- J. H. Jang, B. Choi, S. D. Kim, and J. B. Ra, "Sub-band decomposed multiscale retinex with space varying gain," in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Image Process.(ICIP), pp. 3168-3171, 2008.
- S. S. Agaian, K. Panetta, and A. Grigoryan, "Transform based image enhancement with performance measure," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 367-382, Mar. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/83.908502
- S. S. Agaian, B. Silver, and K. A. Panetta, "Transform coefficient histogram-based image enhancement algorithms using contrast entropy," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 471-758, Mar. 2007.
- A. Saleem, A. Beghdadi, and B. Boashash, "Image fusion-based contrast enhancement" EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing, 2012.