- Volume 24 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Influential Factors of Difference between Actual Obesity and Perceptional Obesity among Korean Adolescents
청소년의 실제 비만도와 인지된 비만도 차이에 영향을 주는 요인
- Nam, Su-Jung (Dept. of Home Economics Education, Jeonju Univeristy) ;
- Park, Jong-Ho (365MC Obesity Clinic)
- Received : 2015.07.16
- Accepted : 2015.09.21
- Published : 2015.10.31
This study analyses "Survey of Health and Behavior of Children and Adolescents" which is conducted by National Youth Policy Institute that investigated influential factors in difference between actual obesity and perceptional obesity. GLM (Generalized Linear Mode) was carried out to estimate the effects on the eating habits and physical activities and multinomial logit analysis was carried out to examine the influential factors in difference between actual, obesity and perceptional obesity. The results of this study are shown as follows. First 72.0% of total respondents showed the congruence between actual obesity and perceptional obesity and 24.6% of total respondents perceived them fatter than actual. The remaining 3.5% perceived them thinner than actual. Second, the main effects of actual obesity and perceptional obesity on eating habits were statistically significant, but interaction effect between them was not statistically significant. The main effects of actual obesity and perceptional obesity on physical activities and interaction effect between them were all statistically significant. Third, the influential factors in difference between actual obesity and perceptional obesity were gender, age, school record, education of parents, subjective economic status, and living together with family.
Supported by : 전주대학교
- Baek, H., & Yeo, J. (2006). Comparison of weight control behavior and self-esteem between healthy weight and obese children, Korean Journal Community Nutrition, 11(5), 562-574.
- Bas, M., & Kiziltan, G. (2007). Relations among weight control behaviors and eating attitudes, social physique anxiety, and fruit and vegetable consumption in Turkish adolescents. Adolescence, 42(165), 167-178.
- Brown, T. A., Cash, T. F., & Lewis, R. J. (1989). Body-image disturbance in adolescent female binge-purgers: A brief report of the results of a national survey in the USA. Journal of Child Psychology Psychiatry, 30, 605-613. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.1989.tb00272.x
- Chang, V. W., & Christakis, N. A. (2003). Self-perception of weight appropriateness in the United States. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 24, 332-339. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(03)00020-5
- Cheung, P. C., Ip, P. L., Lam, S., & Bibby, H. (2007). A study on body weight perception and weight control behaviors among adolescents in Hong Kong. Hong Kong Medical Journal, 13, 16-21.
- Chin, H. J., & Chang, K. J. (2005). College students' attitude toward body weight control, health related lifestyle and dietary behavior by self-perception on body image and obesity index. Journal of the Korean Society Food Scence Nutrition, 34, 559-1565.
- Cho, S. M., & Ko. A. R. (2001). The effect on sociocultural attitude toward appearance and body image on clothing benefits sought-the comparison of age difference in female adolescents, Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 25(7), 1227-1238.
- Choi, B. Y., & Choi, M. O. (2008). The survey for body shape recognition fatness knowledge and fatness stress of college woman. Journal of The Korean Society of Cosmetology, 14(4), 1052-1064.
- Chung M. Y., & Woo, K. J. (1997). The effect of food habits in the obesity of middle school girls in Inchon area. Journal of the East Asian Society Dietary Life, 7(1), 71-86.
- Engleland, A., Bjorde, T., Sogaard, A. J., & Tverdal, A. (2003). A body mass index in adolescence in relation to total mortality: 32-year follow-up of 227,000 Norweigian boy and girls. American Journal of Epidemiology, 157, 517-533. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwf219
- Felts, M., Tavasso, D., Chenier, T., & Dunn, P. (1992). Adolescents' perceptions of relative weight and self-reported weight loss activities. Journal of School Health, 62(8), 372-376. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.1992.tb02326.x
- Haleama, A. S., Carine, V., Ziad, A., Colette, K., Kristiina, O., & Agnes, N. (2010). Weight control behaviors among overweight, normal weight and underweight adolescents in Palestine: Findings from the National Study of Palestinian School Children (HBSC-WBG2004), International Journal of Eating Disorders, 43, 326-336.
- Hayes, D., & Ross, C. E. (1987). Concern with appearance, health belief, and eating habits. Journal of health and Social Behavior, 28, 120-130. https://doi.org/10.2307/2137126
- Hong, M. S., Pak, H. O., & Sohn, C. Y. (2011). A study on food behaviors and nutrient intakes according to body mass index and body image recognition in female university students from Incheon. The Korean Journal of Food and Nutrition, 24, 386-395. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2011.24.3.386
- Hong, S. H., & Kim, Y. A. (2009). Comparison of food habit and the factors associated with obesity between obese children and normal children in elementary school in Incheon, Journal of the East Asian Society Dietary Life, 19(2), 143-156.
- Hwang I. C., Lee, K. S., Park, D. K., Jung, E. Y., Choi, C. H., Cho, S. J., & Bae, S. M. (2011). Association with self-perception for obesity and mental health among Korean adolescent, Journal of Korean Academy Child Adolescent Psychiatry, 22(2), 112-119. https://doi.org/10.5765/JKACAP.2011.22.2.112
- Jeon, S. M. (2009). Attitude of body weight control, eating disorder and stress by degree of obesity of middle school students in Kunsan area. Unpublished master's thesis, Kunsan University. Kunsan, Korea.
- Jeon, Y. S., & Ahn, H. S. (2006). Influence of subjective perception of body image and weight management on obesity stress in college women. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition of Esthetic & Cosmeceutics, 1(2), 13-26.
- Jung, G. B., Lim, D. K., Lee, Y. J., Lee, S. G. & Oung, S. W. (1995). The analysis of factors influencing to the diet in adolescent. Journal of the Korean Academy of Family Medicine, 16(4), 254-260.
- Kim, H. A. (2004). Comparison of normal weight vs obese children in terms of family factors, eating habits and sociocognitive factors. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 3, 300-310.
- Kim, H. S., & Kim, Y. R. (2010a). The effect of the high school students' body perception on self-esteem and stress(Focused on Chung Cheong Area). Journal of The Korean Society of Cosmetology, 16(4), 941-948.
- Kim, H., & Kim, M. (2010b). Effect of self-esteem, body image and external factors of body type on dieting behavior of high school students, Journal of Korean Home Economics Education Association, 22(4), 65-75.
- Kim, J. A., & Chaung, S. K. (2004). Weight control and cardiovascular risk in middle-aged women, The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing, 7(1), 33-47.
- Kim, J. S. (2005). A study on the perception and practical use on a lesson dietary behaviors of technology home economics in middle school students. Unpublished master's thesis, ChungAng University. Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, J. Y. (2006). A study on the factors related to perceptionon body image, weight control attitude, and dietary behaviors in Korean adolescents by body image satisfaction. Unpublished master's thesis, ChungAng University. Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, J. Y., Son, S. J., Lee, J. E., Kim, J. H., & Jung, I. K. (2009). The effects of body image satisfaction on obesity stress, weight control attitudes, and eating disorders among female junior high school students. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 47(4), 49-59.
- Kim, O. S. (1998). Obesity and weight control behaviors of middle and high school girl students. Nursing Science, 10(2), 13-21.
- Kim, S. H., & Kim, M. (2008). Factors related to health behavior and health-related quality of life among obese high school youths, The Journal of Korean Society for School Health Education, 9(1), 47-61.
- Kim, S. (2004). The Development and Care of Young People, Soomoonsa, Seoul.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2010) Korea Health Statistics 2009: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES IV-3). Seoul, Korea Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention. pp 48-49.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(2007) Korean Pedi/-atric Society, Committee for the Development of Growth Stan/-dard for Korean Children and Adolescent. 2007 Korean children and adolescent national growth chart. Seoul: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Korean Society for The Study of Obesity(2001). Clinical Bariatrics, Korea Medical Book Publisher. Seoul.
- Kwon, E. R., Choi, H. J., Lee, S. R., Paik, E. S., Lee, K. Y., & Park, T. J. (2002) Parental perception on childhood obesity according to weight status in children of elementary schools in Busan. Journal of Korean Academy Family Medicine, 23(1), 68-79
- Kwon, Y. S. (2008). A study on obesity stress and related factors among female college students. Journal of Korean Academic Community Health Nursing, 19(3), 431-442.
- Meadow, R. M., & Weiss, L. (1992). Women's Conflicts about Eating and Sexuality: The Relationship Between Food and Sex. The Howorth Press. NY.
- Moon, J. W. (2012). The effect of obesity, depression, self esteem, body image on adolescents' life satisfaction, Journal of Korean Society for School Health Education, 13(2), 119-146.
- Moon, S. S., & Lee, Y. S. (2009). Comparison of dietary habits, exercise, recognized shapes and weight control between obesity and underweight of adolescents, Journal of Korean Association of Human Ecology, 18(6), 1337-1348 https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2009.18.6.1337
- Nam, S. J., & Park, J. H. (2013). Adolescents' satisfaction of body and self-esteem according to obesity and subjective perception of body: verification of moderating effect of sex, Korean Journal of Obesity, 22(4), 251-253. https://doi.org/10.7570/kjo.2013.22.4.251
- Oh, D. N., Kim, E. M., & Kim, S. (2013). Weigh control behaviors and correlates in Korean adolescents, Journal of Korea Contents Association, 13(3), 2018-228.
- Paeratakul, S., White, M. A., Williamson, D. A., Ryan, D. H., & Bray, G. A. (2002). Sex, race/ethinity, socioeconomic status, and BMI in relation to self-perception of overweight. Obesity Research, 10, 345-350. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2002.48
- Park, B. Y. (2012). A study on stress, obesity index and dietary habit among middle school students. Unpublished master's thesis, Dongkuk University. Seoul, Korea.
- Park, G. O., Jeon, S. S., Kim, Y. H., & Ahn, S. H. (2005). Relationships between gender and perception of body shape, satisfaction with body weight, and experiences of weight control according to obesity level among elementary schoolers, Journal of the Korean Society Maternal Child Health, 9(1), 63-71.
- Park, H. S., Sunwoo, S., Ou, S. W., Lee, K. Y., Kim, B. S., Han, J. H., Kim, S. M., Lee, H. R., Yu, B. Y., Lee, K. M., Suh, Y. S., Nam, Y. D., Park, Y. W., Shin, H. C., & Lee, J. K. (2003). Development of Korean Version of Obesity-related Quality of Life Scale, Korean Journal of Obesity, 12(4), 280-293.
- Pritchard, M. E., King, S. L., & Czajka-Narins, D. M. (1997). Adolescent body mass indicesand self-perception. Adolescence, 32(128),863-880.
- Seo, Y. K., & Lee, S. K. (1992) A study on the life-style of obese children. Journal of Korean Society School Health, 5(1), 84-91
- Shim, E., & Yang, Y. K. (2014). 4th-grade elementary-school children's body image and dietary habits according to body mass index. Journal of Nutrition and Health, 41(4), 287-299.
- Son, M. J. (2008). The relation between obesity stress and self-efficacy of 5th and 6th grades obese children. Unpublished master's thesis, Inje University. Busan, Korea.
- Song M. K., Ha, J. H., Park, D. H., Ryu, S. H., Oh, J. H., & Yu, J. H. (2010). Effect of body image and eating attitude on depressive mood and suicide ideation in female adolescents. Korean Journal of Chosomatic Medicine 18, 40-47.
- Won, K. H.(2003). A comparative study of the degree satisfaction of body image and sex-role identity between primary school boys and girls. The Journal of The Korean Society of School Health, 16(1), 135-148.
- Wright, C. M., Parker, L., Lamont, D., & Craft, A. W.(2001). Implication of childhood obesity for adult health: findings from thousand families cohort study, BMJ, 323, 1280-1284. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.323.7324.1280
- Yim, K. S. (2010). Effects of obesity, body image, dissatisfaction and dietary habits on the risk of disturbed eating attitudes among high school students in Gyunggi province, Korea. Korean J Community Nutrition, 15, 656-669.
- Yoo, J. E., Oh, D. S., & Kim, N. K. (2014). How does body-shape perception affect the weight control practices?: 2012 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, Journal of Korean Medicine for Obesity Research, 14(1), 29-38. https://doi.org/10.15429/jkomor.2014.14.1.29