- Volume 32 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Quality Characteristics of Regional Traditional and Commercial Soybean Pastes (Doenjang)
지역별 전통된장과 개량된장의 품질특성
- Park, Sun-Young (Food Processing Research Center, Korean Food Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Seulki (Food Processing Research Center, Korean Food Research Institute) ;
- Hong, Sang-pil (Food Processing Research Center, Korean Food Research Institute) ;
- Lim, Sang-Dong (Food Processing Research Center, Korean Food Research Institute)
- Received : 2016.10.12
- Accepted : 2016.11.21
- Published : 2016.12.31
Purpose: This study aimed to investigate the quality characteristics of traditional and commercial soybean pastes (Doenjang) for development of traditional soybean pastes. Methods: Proximate compositions, amino acid nitrogen contents, pH, acidity, salt contents, chromaticity, viable bacteria and inorganic substance contents of nineteen traditional and three commercial Doenjang were investigated. Results: Analysis of proximate compositions indicated a significant difference between samples. In moisture content, D10 did not meet the standard of food codex. The contents of moisture, fat, protein and ash were slightly higher in traditional than commercial Doenjang. However, the carbohydrate content was 2-fold higher in commercial than traditional, and thus, the calories were also higher. The amino nitrogen content was lower in commercial than traditional Doenjang. pH, acidity and salt contents of Doenjang were pH 4.67-6.15, 1.53-3.29%, and 9.01-18.78%, respectively. pH and acidity showed no significant differences between traditional and commercial Doenjang, however, salt contents were significantly higher in traditional than commercial Doenjang. In case of chromaticity, the averages of L, a, b values were higher in traditional Doenjang. In microbiological analysis, total bacteria counts were higher in traditional than commercial Doenjang. The number of Bacillus cereus in D12 and D19 exceeded the standard of food codex. Staphylococcus aureust was undetected in all samples. The number of fungi varied widely between samples, with no detection in five traditional and all commercial Doenjang. Results of inorganic substance analysis indicated that contents of inorganic substances in Doenjang were in order of Na, K, Mg and Ca. Overall, Na content was higher in traditional Doenjang. Contents of inorganic substances showed wide variations in traditional Doenjang. Conclusion: For the development of traditional Doenjang, quality standardization and ensuring safety are considered necessary.
Supported by : Korea Food Research Institute
- Ahn JB, Park JA, Jo HJ, Woo IH, Lee SH, Jang KI. 2012. Quality characteristics and antioxidant activity of commercial Doenjang and traditional Doenjang in Korea. Korea J Food Nutr 25(1):142-148. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.1.142
- Chae SK, Kang KS, Ma SJ, Bang KJ, Oh MH, Oh SH. 2000. Standard food analytics. Jigu Pub., Seoul, Korea. pp 460-463.
- Jung KO, Park SY, Park KY. 2006. Longer aging time increases the anticancer and antimetastic properties of Doenjang. Nutr 22(5):539-545. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2005.11.007
- Kang JE, Choi HS, Choi HS, Park SY, Song J, Choi JH, Yeo SH, Jung ST. 2013. The quality characteristics of commercial Deonjang certified for traditional foods. Korean J Community Living Sci 24(4):537-542. https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2013.24.4.537
- Kim CR. 2006. Microbiological and sensory evaluations on sesame leaf of bio soybean paste. J Food Hyg Saf 21(4): 218-222.
- Kim DH, Song HP, Kim KY, Kim JO, Byun MW. 2004. A correlation between fibrinolytic activity and microflora in Korean fermented soybean products. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33(1):41-46. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.1.041
- Kim JG. 2004. Changes of components affecting organoleptic quality during the ripening of traditional korean soybean paste amino nitrogen, amino acids, and color. J Food Hyg Saf 19(1):31-37.
- Kim JH, Yoo JS, Lee CH, Kim SY, Lee SK. 2006. Quality properties of soybean pastes made from Meju with mold producing protease isolated from traditional Meju. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 49(1):7-14.
- Kim KM, Kim IC. 2013. The physical and chemical properties of salt manufactured by process with brine produced in Korean salt-farms. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42(10):1664-1672. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.10.1664
- Kim SH, Lee KA. 2003. Evaluation of taste compounds in water-soluble extract of Doenjang (soybean paste). Food Chem 83(3):339-342. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(03)00092-X
- Kim MJ, Chang BH, Kim IC, Lee DW, Ahn M. 2005. Posttraumatic Bacillus cereus endophthalmitis. J Korean Ophthalmol Soc 46(9):1597-1604.
- Kwon DJ. 2002. Comparison of characteristics of koji manufactured with Bacillus subtilis B-4 and Aspergillus oryzae F-5. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34(5):873-878.
- Lee CH, Moon SY, Lee JC, Lee JY. 2004. Study on the antioxidant activity of soybean products extracts for application of animal products. Korean J Food Sci Anim Resour 24(4):405-410.
- Lee HT, Kim JH, Lee SS. 2009. Analysis of microbiological contamination and biogenic amines content in traditional and commercial Doenjang. J Food Hyg Saf 24(1):102-109.
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. 2013. Korean food standards codex. Korean Food Industry Association, Seoul, Korea. pp 1-67.
- National Agricultural Products Quality Management Service. 2013. Traditional food standards codex. Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Seoul, Korea. pp 92-97.
- Oh HJ, Lim JH, Lee JY, Jeon SB, Kang HY, Oh YS, Oh YJ, Lim SB. 2009. Quality characteristics of Jeju traditional Doenjang. Korean J Culin Res 15(2):298-308.
- Park KY, Jung KO, Rhee SH, Choi YH. 2006. Antimetagenic effects of Doenjang (Korean fermented soypaste) and its active compounds. Mutat Res 523-524:43-53.
- Park SK, See KI, Choi SH, Moon JS, Lee YH. 2000a. Quality assessment of commercial Doenjang prepared by traditional method. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 29(2):211-217.
- Park SK, Seo KI, Shon MY, Moon JS, Lee YH. 2000b. Quality characteristics of home-made Doenjang, a traditional Korean soybean paste. Korean J Soc Food Sci 16(2):121-127.
- Park WP, Kim ND, Lee SC, Kim SY, Cho SH. 2006. Effects of powder and concentrates of Prnus mume on the quality of Doenjang during fermentation. Korean J Food Preserv 13(5):574-580.
- Rho JD, Choi SY, Lee SJ. 2008. Quality characteristics of soybean pastes (Doenjang) prepared using different types of microorganisms and mixing ratios. Korean J Food Cook Sci 24(2):243-250.
- Sasagawa A, Gomi M, Ohura K, Yamazaki A, Yamada A. 2005. Production of miso based on Koji prepared from mixed different grains using high-pressure treatment. Nippon Shkuhin Kagaku Kaishi 52(10):485-490. https://doi.org/10.3136/nskkk.52.485
- Seo JH, Jeoung YJ. 2001. Quality characteristics of Doenjang using squid internal organs. Korean J Food Sci Technol 33(1):89-93.
- Shin ZI, Yu R, Park SA, Chung DK, Ahn CW, Nam HS, Kim KS, Lee HJ. 2001. His-His-Leu, an angiotensin I converting enzyme inhibitory peptide derived from Korean soybean paste, exerts antihypertensive activity in vivo. J Agric Food Chem 49(6):3004-3009. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf001135r
- Sun JK, Baek JH. 2008. The consuming tendency analysis of soybean paste market in Korea. Korean J Food Mark Econ 25(3):25-52.
- Yoo JY, Kim HG. 1998. Characteristics of traditional Mejus of nation-wide collection. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27(2): 259-267.
- Yoon WJ, Lee SW, Moon HK, Moon JN, Kim BG, Kim BJ, Kim GY. 2011. Quality characteristics of traditional soybean paste (Deonjang) manufactured with mixed beans. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 21(3):375-384.