- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Cellular Formation Problem Algorithm Based on Frequency of Used Machine for Cellular Manufacturing System
- Lee, Sang-Un (Dept. of Multimedia Engineering, Gangneung-Wonju National University)
- Received : 2015.10.06
- Accepted : 2015.11.03
- Published : 2016.02.29
There has been unknown polynomial time algorithm for cellular formation problem (CFP) that is one of the NP-hard problem. Therefore metaheuristic method has been applied this problem to obtain approximated solution. This paper shows the existence of polynomial-time heuristic algorithm in CFP. The proposed algorithm performs coarse-grained and fine-grained cell formation process. In coarse-grained cell formation process, the cell can be formed in accordance with machine frequently used that is the number of other products use same machine with special product. As a result, the machine can be assigned to most used cell. In fine-grained process, the product and machine are moved into other cell that has a improved grouping efficiency. For 35 experimental data, this heuristic algorithm performs better grouping efficiency for 12 data than best known of meta-heuristic methods.
- J. F. Gonçalves and M. G. C. Resende, "An Evolutionary Algorithm for Manufacturing Cell Formation," Computers & Industrial Engineering, Vol. 47, Issue. 2-3, pp. 247-273, Nov. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2004.07.003
- J. A. Diaz, D. Luna, and R. Luna, "A GRASP Heuristic for the Manufacturing Cell Formation Problem," Trabajos de Investigación Operativa, Vol. 20, Issue. 3, pp. 679-706, Oct. 2012.
- H. Nouri, S. H. Tang, B. T. H. Tuah, M. K. A. Ariffin, and R. Samin, "Metaheuristic Techniques on Cell Formation in Cellular Manufacturing System," Journal of Automation and Control Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 49-54, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.12720/joace.1.1.49-54
- M. Murugan and V. Selladurai, "Formation of Machine Cells/ Part Families in Cellular Manufacturing Systems Using an ART-Modified Single Linkage Clustering Approach - A Comparative Study," Jordan Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 199-212, Jun. 2011.
- M. Mutingi and G. C. Onwubolu, "Manufacturing System, Chapter 10. Integrated Cellular Manufacturing System Design and Layout Using Group Genetic Algorithms," pp. 205-222, Interopen.com, May. 2012.
- G. Egilmez, G. A. Suer, and O. Ozguner, "Capacitated Cellular Manufacturing System Design: A Genetic Algorithm Approach," Production and Operations Management Society (POMS), pp. 1-23, Apr. 2012.
- K. R. Kumar and M. P. Chandrasekharan, "Grouping Efficiency: A Quantitative Criterion for Goodness of Block Diagonal Forms of Binary Matrices in Group Technology," International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 233-243, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207549008942706
- R. Sudhakarapandian, "Application of Soft Computing Techniques for Cell Formation Considering Operational Time and Sequence," A Thesis of Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering, National Institute of Technology, Rourkela, India, Aug. 2007.