- Volume 40 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Analysis of MBL Experiments from the Korean Secondary Science and Chemistry Textbooks Based on 2007 and 2009 Revision
2007 개정 및 2009 개정 중등 과학 및 고등학교 화학 교과서의 MBL 실험 분석
- Received : 2016.10.05
- Accepted : 2016.12.23
- Published : 2016.12.30
In this study, MBL experiments in the Korean secondary science textbooks and chemistry textbooks under the 2007 and the 2009 curriculum revision were analyzed in terms of curriculum revision era, grade, context of experiment in the textbook, field of science, topic, sensor, and publisher. As a result, 25 MBL experiments were found in the science textbooks under the 2007 revision, and 29 experiments under the 2009 revision (19 for middle school textbook and 10 for high school textbook). MBL experiments in middle school textbooks were not increased after curriculum revision while those in high school textbooks appeared for the first time. Most of them were in the textbooks for grade 7 and presented as an essential experiment rather than optional one. Motion sensor and temperature sensor were used most frequently, and oxygen sensor and carbon dioxide sensor were followed. In aspect of publishers, a frequency of MBL experiment was decreased in most textbook and some publishers didn't include MBL experiment at all. Based on these results, educational implications were discussed.
이 연구에서는 2007 개정 및 2009 개정 중등 과학 교과서 및 화학 교과서를 중심으로 교과서에 수록된 MBL(microcomputer-based laboratory) 실험을 교육과정 시기, 대상 학년, 실험이 제시된 맥락, 내용 영역, 주제, 사용된 센서, 그리고 출판사 등의 측면에서 분류하고 그 특징을 분석하였다. 분석 결과, MBL 실험은 2007 개정 교육과정기의 경우에는 중학교 과학 교과서에서만 25번 제시되었고, 2009 개정 교육과정기의 경우에는 과학 및 화학 I, II 교과서를 통틀어 29회(중학교 19회, 고등학교 10회) 제시되었다. 전체적으로는 교육과정 개정 이후 중학교 과학 교과서에 MBL 실험은 증가하지 않은 반면, 고등학교 교과서에는 처음으로 제시되었다. MBL 실험은 중학교 1학년에 가장 많이 제시되었고, 선택탐구보다는 필수탐구에 주로 포함 되었다. 센서 중에서는 운동 센서와 온도 센서가 가장 많이 사용되었고, 그 다음으로는 산소와 이산화탄소 센서가 많이 사용되었다. 출판사별 분석에서는 전체적으로는 사용 빈도가 감소하였고, 일부 출판사의 교과서에서는 MBL 실험이 단 한번도 사용되지 않았다. 이 결과들을 바탕으로 교육적 함의를 논의하였다.
- Choi, B. S. (2016). Chemistry textbook analysis and teaching strategy (4th ed). Paju: Free Academy.
- Choi, S.-B. (2008). The effects of MBL-used instruction on scientific inquiry skill and graph construction and interpreting abilities of middle school students. The Journal of The Korean Earth Science Society, 29(6), 487-494. https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2008.29.6.487
- Han, H. (2002). Theoretical benefits and research findings: Underlying the use of microcomputer-based laboratory in science teaching. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 22(5), 957-969.
- Han, H. (2003). A meta-analysis of research on the impact of microcomputer-based laboratory in science teaching and learning. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 23(4), 375-384.
- Heo, E.-Y., & Yoo, P.-K. (2010). The Study on the influence of MBL exhibition class on the elementary school students' academic achievement, scientific research abilities and affective characters. Journal of the Korean Society of Earth Science Education, 3(1), 36-46.
- Hwang, Y., Yun, E., & Park, Y. (2012). A study on perception about using MBL and satisfaction about training program of elementary and middle school teachers and pre-service teachers who attended the MBL training. Journal of Science Education, 36(2), 313-328. https://doi.org/10.21796/jse.2012.36.2.313
- Im, E.-M. (2012). Quantitative experiment of Lenz's law for science gifted children (Unpublished master's thesis). Chungnam National University, Daejeon, Korea.
- Jo, M.-H., & Kim, J.-H. (2010). The effects of MBL on the middle school students’ graphing skill and science process skill in earth science class. The Journal of The Korean Earth Science Society, 31(6), 637-646.
- Kang, S., & Koh, H. (2014). Analysis of the reading materials in elementary school science textbooks developed under the 7th and the 2007 revised national science curricula. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 33(3), 479-490. https://doi.org/10.15267/keses.2014.33.3.479
- Kim, D., Lee, Y., Son, K., & Kim, K. (2010). Development of MBL experiment to measure the speed of sound in resonance tube. School Science Journal, 4(2), 59-64.
- Kim, H.-S., & Kwon, J.-S. (1995). Effect of using computer interface on learning speed concept in the korea elementary school. Journal of the Korean Association for in Science Education, 15(2), 164-172.
- Kim, J., & Kim, Y. (2007). Analysis of school science experimental methods to understand temperature distribution of troposhpere. New Physics: Sae Mulli, 54(6), 513-518.
- Kim, M.-Y., & Kim, H.-B. (2009). Analysis of the types of scientific models in the life domain of science. Journal of the Korean Association for in Science Education, 29(4), 423-436.
- Koo, H. W. (1993). A Study on the effect of microcomputer-based laboratory applied to middle school science instruction (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, J., & Lim, I.-T. (2004). A study on the method of improving the interpretation and comprehension ability of line graphs in motion. Journal of Science Education, 28(1), 11-18.
- Lim, H., Choi, S.-M., Kang, S., & Yeo, S.-I. (2010). The instructional effects and students' and a teacher's perceptions of MBL programs in elementary science classes. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 29(1), 102-111.
- Ministry of Education & Human Resources Development[MEHRD]. (2007). Science Curriculum. Notification No. 2007-79 of the MEHRD. Seoul, Korea: Author.
- Ministry of Education[MOE]. (2015). Science Curriculum. Notification No. 2015-74 of the MOE. Seoul, Korea: Author.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology[MEST]. (2011). Science Curriculum. Notification No. 2011-361 of the MEST. Seoul, Korea: Author.
- Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology[MEST]. (2009a). Introduction to high school science curriculum. Seoul, Korea: Author.
- Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology[MEST]. (2009b). Introduction to middle school science curriculum. Seoul, Korea: Author.
- Moon, K.-W., & Kim, Y.-S. (2009). Development of the chamber for microcomputer-based experiments on photosynthesis and respiration. Biology Education, 37(4), 645-656. https://doi.org/10.15717/bioedu.2009.37.4.645
- Nakhkeh, M. B. (1994). A review of microcomputer-based labs: How have they affected science learning?. Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching, 13(4), 368-381.
- Oh, J. A., Lee, S. K., & Kim, C. J. (2008). A case study on scientific inquiry and argumentative communication in earth science MBL classes. Journal of The Korean Earth Science Society, 29(2), 189-203. https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2008.29.2.189
- Park, K., Ku, Y., Choi, B., Shin, A., Lee, K., & Ko, S. (2007). Perceptions on microcomputer-based laboratory experiments of science teachers that participated in in-service training. Journal of the Korean Association for in Science Education, 27(1), 59-69.
- Park, K., Ku, Y., Choi, B.-S., Shin, A.-K., Lee, K., & Ko, S. (2005). The effects of microcomputer-based laboratory learning on the acquisition of boiling point concept by middle school students. Journal of the Korean Association for in Science Education, 25(7), 867-872.
- Park, S.-Y., Park, J.-K., & Yeo, S.-I. (2006). The effects of MBL programs on academic achievement and science-related affective characteristics of elementary school students in laboratory instructions. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 25(4), 454-464.
- Ree, J., Park, G.-Y., & Lee, S. K. (2011). Analysis of high school students' understanding of acid-base related concepts using three different neutralization titration technologies. Journal of the Korean Association for in Science Education, 31(6), 864-875. https://doi.org/10.14697/JKASE.2011.31.6.864
- Ryu, E., Lee, E. & Kang, S. (2007). A comparative case study of the inquiry procedure and the using MBL in acid-base conductometric titration and gas fountain experiments. The Journal of Korean Teacher Education, 23(4), 171-182.
- Ryu, E.-H., Lim, H.-Y., Kang S.-J., & Choi, B.-S. (2008). A case study on student to student verbal interaction on the acid-base titration experiment using MBL. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 28(1), 67-74.
- Seo, J.-H., Moon, K.-W., Ryu, S.-H., & Kim, Y.-S. (2007). Analysis of secondary school science teachers' perceptions of and practice in microcomputer-based laboratories. The Korean Journal of Biological Education, 35(2), 253-265.
- Tinker, R. F., & Stringer, G. A. (1978). Microcomputers! Applications to physics teaching. The Physics Teacher, 16(7), 436-445. https://doi.org/10.1119/1.2340023
- Wang, C.-Y., Wu, H.-K., Lee, S. W.-Y., Hwang, F.-K., Chang, H.-Y., Wu, Y.-T., Chiou, G.-L., Chen, S., Liang, J.-C., Lin, J.-W., Lo, H.-C., & Tsai, C.-C. (2014). A review of research on technology-assisted school science laboratories. Educational Technology & Society, 17(2), 307-320.
- Yeo, S.-I., Lee. S.-M., & Shin, M.-K. (2008). A study of changes of elementary students' competence in scientific inquiry through MBL science class. Journal of the Society for the International Gifted in Science, 2(2), 165-173.
- Yoo, P.-K. (2006). The effect of microcomputer-based laboratory teaching on elementary school students. Elementary Science Education, 25(1), 1-7.