- Volume 36 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Attitudes and Images of Middle School Students toward Invention
중학생의 발명에 대한 태도 및 이미지
- Received : 2015.11.27
- Accepted : 2016.02.15
- Published : 2016.02.29
The purpose of this research is to investigate and analyze the attitudes and images of middle school students toward invention. This aims to provide basic data on qualitative improvement invention education. The results of this research are as follows: First, as for middle school students, the level of emotion and interest attitude toward invention is higher than elementary school students. The image of invention is positive but difficult (M=3.70). Second, as the overall attitude to invention according to gender of middle school students shows a consistent invention attitude, the attitude formation on invention during elementary school time is found to be important. The overall image of invention according to gender is shown to be significantly different (p<0.05). Third, the overall attitude on invention according to the grade of middle school students does not show a statistically significant difference (p>0.05). As for the ranking according to factors on attitude depending on grades, cognitive attitude is followed by emotional attitude, attitude of interest, and practical attitude. The overall image of invention according to the grade of middle school students does not show a statistically significant difference (p>0.05). This is determined as a result of the large pressure acting on the study from middle school. Finally, the acts of invention such as idea, creation, imagination, creativity are considered as important as the results of analysis of the words of the invention. Invention is analyzed to contribute to developing new products, providing convenience in life, social development, usefulness in real life, and alleviating inconvenience.
- Baek, Y., Park, H., Kim, Y., Noh, S., Park, J., Lee, J., Jeong, J., Choi, Y., Han, H. (2011). STEAM Education in Korea. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 11(4), 149-171.
- Cho, J., & Choi, Y. (2009). Image of Inventions of Secondary Science and Technology Teachers. The Korean Journal of Technology Education, 9(2), 152-173.
- Choi, K., Chung, M., Kang, J., Kwak, H., & Chung, M. (2014). The Effect on the Invention Attitude and the Emotional Factors of Children through Invention Experience Activity. The Journal of Practical Arts Education Research, 20(2), 145-164.
- Choi, Y. H. (2006). The Effect of Invention Education Program on Technological Problem Solving Styles and Invention Attitudes of the Elementary, Middle and High School Students. The Journal of Practical Arts Education Research, 12(3), 271-288.
- Choi, Y., & Lee, J. S., & Lee, J. G. (2009). A study on Images of Elementary School Teachers Toward Invention Through Semantic Differential Menthod. The Journal of Practical Arts Education Research, 15(4), 161-182. https://doi.org/10.17055/jpaer.2009.15.4.161
- Chung, M., Choi, K., Kang, J., Kwak, H., & Jung, J. (2013). The Effect on Invention Attitude and Satisfaction of Invention Activity Program based on Life. Journal of Korean Practical Arts Education, 22(3), 275-293.
- Cohen, J. (1998). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. New York: Academic.
- Jang, J., Chung, Y., Choi, Y., & Kim, S. (2013). Exploring the characteristics of science gifted students' task commitment. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 33(1), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2013.33.1.001
- Jho, H. K. (2012). A Review of the Literature on Primary Students' Science-Related Attitudes. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 31(4), 436-449.
- Kang, S. O., & Kim, Y. I. (2014). A Comparison of Learning Styles between Inventive Gifted Students and General Students of Elementary Schools. The Journal of Practical Arts Education Research, 20(1), 149-166. https://doi.org/10.17055/jpaer.2014.20.1.149
- Kim, G., & Moon, S. (2013). Effect of Invention Education Program using Traditional Technology on Elementary School Children's Image of Traditional Technology and Interest in the Invention. The Journal of Practical Arts Education Research, 19(4), 251-270. https://doi.org/10.17055/jpaer.2013.19.4.251
- Kim, M. H. (2012). A Comparative Analysis of the Understanding of Invention Group Students and Ordinary Elementary School Students about Scientists(master's thesis). Korea National University of Education, Cheongju, Korea.
- Kim, S. C. (2011). Effect of Invention-Idea Exchange Activities on Students' Invention Attitude(Unpublished master's thesis). Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, Y. I. (2011). The Status, Facing Problems and Improvement Plans of Invention Gifted Education. Journal of Korean Practical Arts Education, 20(4), 1-18.
- Lee, C. H. (2013). Analysis of Contents related to the Invention in Elementary School Textbooks according to the 2007 Revised Curriculum. The Journal of Practical Arts Education Research, 19(3), 23-43. https://doi.org/10.17055/jpaer.2013.19.3.23
- Lee, C. S. (1999). Variables associated with middle school students' attitude toward technology(doctoral dissertation). Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lim, H. G. (2012). The Attitudes of Pupils Towards Invention in Elementary School(Unpublished master's thesis). Gyeongin National University of Education, Incheon, Korea.
- Moon, D. (2013). The Image toward Inventor of Elementary School Students:A Case Study on Development and Application of DIT and DIT-C. The Journal of Practical Arts Education Research, 19(3), 103-124. https://doi.org/10.17055/jpaer.2013.19.3.103
- Nunnally, J. C. (1978). Assessment of reliability. Psychometric theory (2nd ed., pp. 225-255). New York: MacGraw-Hill Series.
- Ryoo, Y., & Choi, Y. (2005). Study on Images Middle and High School Students toward Technology Education Through Semantic Differential Method. The Journal of Practical Arts Education Research, 11(2), 141-156.
- Shin. P. S. (2012). The Image of Invention suggested by Ordinary and Inventively Gifted Children(Unpublished master's thesis). Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea.
- Wang. Y. J. (2014). Comparison of the Effects of Elementary School Students' Experience in Invention Education on Invention Attitudes. Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Educators, 39(1), 247-261.