- Volume 8 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Parametric pitch instability investigation of Deep Draft Semi-submersible platform in irregular waves
- Mao, Huan (State Key Laboratory of Ocean Engineering, School of Naval Architecture, Ocean and Civil Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University) ;
- Yang, Hezhen (State Key Laboratory of Ocean Engineering, School of Naval Architecture, Ocean and Civil Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University)
- Received : 2015.03.27
- Accepted : 2015.09.06
- Published : 2016.01.31
Parametric pitch instability of a Deep Draft Semi-submersible platform (DDS) is investigated in irregular waves. Parametric pitch is a form of parametric instability, which occurs when parameters of a system vary with time and the variation satisfies a certain condition. In previous studies, analyzing of parametric instability is mainly limited to regular waves, whereas the realistic sea conditions are irregular waves. Besides, parametric instability also occurs in irregular waves in some experiments. This study predicts parametric pitch of a Deep Draft Semi-submersible platform in irregular waves. Heave motion of DDS is simulated by wave spectrum and response amplitude operator (RAO). Then Hill equation for DDS pitch motion in irregular waves is derived based on linear-wave theory. By using Bubnov-Galerkin approach to solve Hill equation, the corresponding stability chart is obtained. The differences between regular-waves stability chart and irregular-waves stability chart are compared. Then the sensitivity of wave parameters on DDS parametric pitch in irregular waves is discussed. Based on the discussion, some suggestions for the DDS design are proposed to avoid parametric pitch by choosing appropriate parameters. The results indicate that it's important and necessary to predict DDS parametric pitch in irregular waves during design process.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Bai, Z.N., Xiao, L.F., Cheng, Z.S., Lai, Z.M., 2014. Experimental study on vortex induced motion response of a dDeep Draft Semi-submersible platform. Chuan Bo Li Xue/J. Ship Mech. 18, 377-384 (in Chinese with English abstract).
- Bindingso, A.U., Bjorset, A., 2002. Deep draft semi submersible. In: Proceedings of the 21th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. Oslo, Norway, pp. 651-659.
- Chen, X., Tan, J., 2008. Multi-objective optimization of a semisubmersible for ultra-deep water. China Ocean Eng. 22, 11-20.
- France,W.N., Levadou, M., Treakle, T.W., Paulling, J.R., Michael, R.K., 2003. An investigation of head-sea parametric rolling and its influence on container lashing systems. Mar. Technol. 40, 1-19.
- Halkyard, J., Chao, J., Abbott, P., Dagleish, J., Banon, H., Thiagarajan, K., 2002. A deep draft semisubmersible with a retractable heave plate. In: Proceedings of the Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, USA, pp. 2677-2686.
- Haslum, H.A., Faltinsen, O.M., 1999. Alternative shape of spar platforms for use in hostile areas. In: Proceedings of the Annual Offshore Technology Conference, pp. 189-197.
- Hong, Y.P., Lee, D.Y., Choi, Y.H., Hong, S.K., Kim, S.E., 2005. An experimental study on the extreme motion responses of a SPAR platform in the heave resonant waves. In: Proceedings of the International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, pp. 225-232.
- Hua, J., Palmquist, M., Lindgren, G., 2006. An analysis of the parametric roll events measured onboard the PCTC AIDA. In: Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Stability of Ships and Ocean Vehicles, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, pp. 109-118.
- Huse, E., Kleiven, G., Nielsen, F.G., 1998. Large scale model testing of deep sea risers. In: Proceedings of the Annual Offshore Technology Conference, pp. 189-197.
- Kim, T., Kim, Y., 2011. Multi-level approach for parametric roll analysis. Int. J. Nav. Archit. Ocean Eng. 3, 53-64. https://doi.org/10.2478/IJNAOE-2013-0045
- Lu, J., Umeda, N., Ma, K., 2011. Predicting parametric rolling in irregular head seas with added resistance taken into account. J. Mar. Sci. Technol. 16, 462-471. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00773-011-0141-2
- Maki, A., Umeda, N., Shiotani, S., Kobayashi, E., 2011. Parametric rolling prediction in irregular seas using combination of deterministic ship dynamics and probabilistic wave theory. J. Mar. Sci. Technol. 16, 294-310. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00773-011-0133-2
- Neves, M.A.S., Rodriguez, C.A., 2007. Influence of non-linearities on the limits of stability of ships rolling in head seas. Ocean Eng. 34, 1618-1630. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2006.11.010
- Pedersen, P., 1980. Stability of the solutions to Mathieu-Hill equations with damping. Ing. Arch. 49, 15-29. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00536595
- Rho, J.B., Choi, H.S., Lee, W.C., Shin, H.S., Park, I.K., 2002. Heave and pitch motions of a spar platform with damping plate. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, Kitakyshu, pp. 198-201.
- Spyrou, K.J., 2000. Designing against parametric instability in following seas. Ocean Eng. 27, 625-653. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-8018(99)00019-0
- Yang, H., Xiao, F., 2014. Instability analyses of a top-tensioned riser under combined vortex and multi-frequency parametric excitations. Ocean Eng. 81, 12-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2014.02.006
- Yang, H., Xu, P., 2015. Effect of hull geometry on parametric resonances of spar in irregular waves. Ocean Eng. 99, 14-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2015.03.006
- Yang, L.J., Xiao, L., Yang, J., 2009. Review on the study of hydrodynamics of semi-submersible platforms. China Offshore Platf. 24, 1-9.