- Volume 40 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Fast Generation Method of CAM Model for Machining of Jet Engines Using Shape Search
형상 검색을 이용한 제트엔진 절삭가공을 위한 빠른 CAM 모델 생성 방법
- Kim, Byung Chul (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Dong-A Univ.) ;
- Song, Ilhwan (CAE Technology Group, Hanwha Techwin) ;
- Shin, Suchul (CAE Technology Group, Hanwha Techwin)
- Received : 2015.11.25
- Accepted : 2015.12.22
- Published : 2016.03.01
Manufacturers of aircraft engines have introduced computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) software to operate and control computerized numerical control (CNC) machine tools. However, the generation of a CAM model is a time consuming and error-prone task since machining procedure and operational details are manually defined. For the automatic generation of a CAM model, feature recognition techniques have been widely studied. However, their recognition coverage is limited so that complex shapes such as a jet engine cannot be fully developed. This study presents a novel approach to quickly generate a CAM model from a CAD model using shape search techniques. Once an operator sets a machining operation as a reference operation, the same shapes as the shapes referenced by the operation are searched. The reference operation is copied to the positions of the searched shapes. The proposed method was verified through experiments with a jet engine compressor case.
항공기 엔진 제작사들은 수치제어 공작기계를 운영하고 제어하기 위해 CAM 소프트웨어를 도입했다. 그러나 CAM 모델을 생성하는 일은 긴 시간이 걸리고 오류가 발생하기 쉽다. 이는 가공연산 및 절차를 수작업으로 정의하기 때문이다. CAM 모델을 자동으로 생성하기 위해, 특징형상 인식 기술들이 오래 전부터 연구되었다. 그러나 인식 범위가 제한적이기 때문에 제트엔진과 같이 복잡한 형상에는 완전히 적용할 수 없다. 본 연구에서는 형상 검색 기술을 이용해 CAD 모델로부터 CAM 모델을 빠르게 생성하는 새로운 방법을 제안한다. 이 방법에서는, 작업자가 한 개의 가공연산을 참조연산으로 지정하면, 동일한 가공형상을 가지는 형상들을 검색하고, 참조연산을 검색된 형상들의 위치로 복사한다. 제트엔진 압축기 케이스를 대상으로 한 실험을 통해 제안한 방법을 검증하였다.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- StandardAero Components homepage,http://standardaerocomponents.com/.
- Han, J. H., Pratt, M. and Regli, W. C., 2000, "Manufacturing Feature Recognition from Solid Models," IEEE Trans. Rob. Autom., Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 782-796. https://doi.org/10.1109/70.897789
- Shah, J. J., Anderson, D., Kim, Y. S. and Joshi, S., 2001, "A Discourse on Geometric Feature Recognition from CAD Models," J. Comput. Inf. Sci. Eng., Vol. 1, No. 1, pp.41-51. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1345522
- Kim, B. C. and Song, I., 2015, "Automatic Generation of CAM Model for Machining Holes for Jet Engine Compressor Case Based on Feature Recognition," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A 39, No. 3, pp.337-345. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2015.39.3.337
- Joshi, S. and Chang, T. C., 1988, "Graph Based Heuristics for Recognition of Machined Features from a 3-D Solid Model," Comput. Aided Des., Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 58-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-4485(88)90050-4
- Chuang, S. H. and Henderson, M. R., 1990, "Three-Dimensional Shape Pattern Recognition Using Vertex Classification and the Vertex-Edge Graph," Comput. Aided Des., Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 377-387. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-4485(90)90088-T
- Gavankar, P. and Henderson, M. R., 1990, "Graph-Based Extraction of Protrusions and Depressions from Boundary Representations," Comput. Aided Des., Vol. 22, No. 7, pp. 442-450. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-4485(90)90109-P
- Gao, S. and Shah, J. 1998, "Automatic Recognition of Interacting Machining Features Based on Minimal Condition Subgraph," Comput. Aided Des., Vol. 30, No. 9, pp. 727-739. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-4485(98)00033-5
- Tang, K. and Woo, T., 1991, "Algorithmic Aspects of Alternating Sum of Volumes. Part 1: Data Structure and Difference Operation," Comput. Aided Des., Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 357-366. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-4485(91)90029-V
- Kim, Y. S. and Wilde, D. J., 1992, "A Convergent Convex Decomposition of Polyhedral Objects," J Mech. Des. N. Y., Vol. 114, No. 3, pp. 468-477. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2926575
- Sakurai, H., 1995, "Volume Decomposition and Feature Recognition, Part I: Polyhedral Objects," Comput. Aided Des., Vol. 27, No. 11, pp. 833-843. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-4485(95)00007-0
- Sakurai, H. and Dave, P., 1996, "Volume Decomposition and Feature Recognition, Part II: Curved Objects," Comput. Aided Des., Vol. 28, No. 6-7, pp. 519-537. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-4485(95)00067-4
- Woo, Y., 2003, "Fast Cell-Based Decomposition and Applications to Solid Modeling," Comput. Aided Des., Vol. 35, No. 11, pp. 969-977. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-4485(02)00144-6
- Kim, B. C. and Mun, D., 2014, "Feature-Based Simplification of Boundary Representation Models Using Sequential Iterative Volume Decomposition," Comput. Graph., Vol. 38, pp. 97-107.
- Kim, B. C. and Mun, D., 2014, "Stepwise Volume Decomposition for the Modification of B-Rep Models," Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Tech., Vol. 75, No. 9-12, pp. 1393-1403. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-014-6210-z
- Vadenbrande, J. H. and Requicha, A. A. G., 1993, "Spatial Reasoning for the Automatic Recognition of Machinable Features in Solid Models," IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell., Vol. 15, No. 12, pp. 1269-1285. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.250845
- Regli, W. C., Gupta, S. K. and Nau, D. S., 1995, "Extracting Alternative Machining Features: An Algorithmic Approach," Res. Eng. Des., Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 173-192. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01638098
- Iyer, N., Jayanti, S., Lou, K., Kalyanaraman, Y. and Ramani, K., 2005, "Three-Dimensional Shape Searching: State-of-the-Art Review and Future Trends," Comput. Aided Des., Vol. 37, No. 5, pp. 509-530. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cad.2004.07.002
- Elad, M., Tal, A. and Ar, S., 2001, "Content Based Retrieval of VRML Objects-An Iterative and Interactive Approach," In Proc. of Eurographics Multimedia Workshop 2001, pp. 97-108.
- Rea, H. J., Corney, J. R., Clark, D. E. R., Pritchard, J., Breaks, M. L. and MacLeod, R. A., 2002, "Part-Sourcing in a Global Market," Concurrent Eng-Res. A., Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 325-333. https://doi.org/10.1177/106329302129140214
- Vranic, D., Saupe, D. and Richter, J., 2001, "Tools for 3D Object Retrieval: Karhunen-Loeve Transform and Spherical Harmonics," In Proc. of the IEEE Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing 2001, pp. 293-298.
- Saupe, D. and Vranic, D., 2001, "3D Model Retrieval with Spherical Harmonics and Moments," In Proc. of the DAGM 2001, pp. 392-397.
- Tanaka, K., Sano, M., Mukawa, N. and Kaneko, H., 1993, "3D Object Representation Using Spherical Harmonic Functions," In Proc. of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1873-1880.
- Kazhdan, M., Funkhouser, T. and Rusinkiewicz, S., 2003, "Rotation Invariant Spherical Harmonic Representation of 3D Shape Descriptors," In Proc. of the ACM/Eurographics Symposium on Geometry Processing 2003, pp. 167-175.
- OpenCascade homepage, http://www.opencascade.org/.
- GE Aviation homepage, http://www.geaviation.com/commercial/engines/genx/.