- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Cross-sectional comparison on human rights sensitivity changes in nursing students and non-nursing students
간호대학생과 일반대학생의 인권감수성 변화에 관한 횡단적 비교
- Kim, Seong-Eun (Dept. of Nursing, Woosuk University)
- 김성은 (우석대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2016.03.03
- Accepted : 2016.04.20
- Published : 2016.04.28
This cross-sectional study examined the differences of the human rights sensitivity changes between freshmen and seniors of nursing and non-nursing Students. The data for this study were collected using a human rights sensitivity questionnaire developed by Moon answered by 178 nursing and non-nursing students from five South Korean universities. A t-test, chi-square test were performed on the collected data. There were no significant differences in the human rights sensitivity scores between freshmen and seniors in nursing and non-nursing students. There were significant differences in the human rights sensitivity scores in the right to privacy of the psychiatric patients and the environmental rights among nursing students. There were significant differences in the human rights sensitivity scores in the disabled person's physical liberty in non-nursing students. The results of this study suggested the direction of educational curriculum revision about ethics and development of educational programs to improve the human rights sensitivity.
- Y. L. Moon, M. H. Moon, Y. J. Gwak, In: "Developing indicators of psychological scale for human rights sensitivity", Seoul: National Human Rights Commission of Korea; 2002.
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. "Universal Declaration of Human Rights", Paris, 1948.
- J. B. Lim, "Korean society and national human rights commission of Korea", Public Law, Vol. 35, No. 2-2, pp. 1-29, 2006.
- J. R. Rest, Morality. In: P. H. Mussen (series ed.) and J. Flavell, E. Markman (vol. eds.). "Handbook of Child Psychology", Vol. 3, Cognitive Development, 4th ed. New York, NY: Wiley. pp.556-629, 1983.
- H. G. Ju, K. J. Lee, H. S. Kim, "Effects of human rights sensitivity program on the human rights consciousness and attitudes toward the mental illness by psychiatric mental health nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, Vol.22, No.3, pp.169-179, 2013. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.3.169
- S. W. Hong, J. S. Kim, H. J. Hyun, "Nursing students' awareness of human rights and influencing factors", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association Vol.11, No.6, pp.260-269, 2011.
- N. S. Ha, J. Choi, "A longitudinal study on professional socialization, self-esteem, and self-efficacy in nursing students", Perspectives in Nursing Science Vol.8, No.2, pp.73-85, 2011.
- S. Y. Jung, "Study on the human rights sensitivity of professionals in the mental hospital", Mental Health & Social Work, Vol.23, pp.59-87, 2006..
- Y. W. Lee, I. S. Jeong, "Human rights sensitivity to the mentally disabled among community residents", Korean Public Health Research Vol. 38, No. 2, pp.1-11, 2012.
- S. E. Kim, "Ethical values and human rights sensitivity in nursing students", Korean Journal of Medical Ethics, Vol.18, No.2, pp.117-128, 2015.
- C. H. Kim, S. Y. Jeong. "The effects of debate classes based on an ethical decision-making model on ethical knowledge, class satisfaction, and ethical values", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.12, No.10, pp.405-414, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.10.405
- S. Y. Yun, M. Kim, "A study on the relevance among self efficacy, major satisfaction, nursing ethics values in nursing students before clinical practice", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.12, No.2, pp.363-372, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.2.363
- S. Y. Park, K. Y. Park, "Correlation study of characteristics of bio-medical Ethics and Self-esteem For Undergraduate Students", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp.255-261, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.255
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. Buchner, et al. "Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses", Behavior Research Methods, Vol.41, No.4, pp.1149-1160. 2009. https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- Y. S. Kim, J. W. Park, M. A. You, "A longitudinal study on moral judgment development in nursing and medical students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.33, No.6, pp.820-828, 2003. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.6.820
- M. A. You, I. J. Kim, S. H. Hong, "A study of moral judgement of nursing students using DIT test", Korean Journal of Medical Ethics, Vol.8, No.2, pp.105-115, 2005.
- M. A. You, "Longitudinal DIT study of the moral judgments of student nurses at one university in Korea", Korean Journal of Medical Ethics, Vol.11, No.2, pp.139-152, 2008.
- M. Park, D. Kjervik,, J. Crandell, M. H. Oermann, "The relationship of ethics education to moral sensitivity and moral reasoning skills of nursing students", Nursing Ethics, Vol.19, No.4, pp.568-680, 2012 https://doi.org/10.1177/0969733011433922
- M. A. You, "Changes in nursing students' moral judgment and ways to evaluate the effect of ethics education", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol.19, No.3, pp.351-360, 2013. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.3.351
- S. I. Hwang, B. K. Kwon, Y. M. Koo, O. J. Kim, Y. L. Moon, S. H. Hong, "Study on the development of medical ethics education program", Korean Journal of Medical Ethics, Vol.1, No.1, pp.59-69, 1998.
- D. du Toit, "A sociological analysis of the extent and influence of professional socialization on the development of nursing identity among nursing students at two universities in Brisbane, Australia", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol.21, No.1, pp.164-171, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1995.21010164.x
- G. T. Shinyashiki, J. A. Mendes, M. A. Trevizan, R. A. Day, "Professional socialization: students becoming nurses", Revista Latino-Americana de Enfermagem Vol.14, No.4, pp.601-607, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0104-11692006000400019
- E. H. Park, H. R. Park, H. S. Kim, "Approaches to convergence curriculum for healthcare-affiliated students with clinical competence assessment program", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 76-86, 2015.