- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
History of Research on Pharmacopuncture in Korea
- Lee, Kwang-Ho (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Sangji University) ;
- Cho, Yoon-Young (Department of Internal Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Sangji University) ;
- Kim, Sungchul (Department of Acupuncture and Moxibustion Medicine, Wonkwang University Gwangju Korean Medicine Hospital) ;
- Sun, Seung-Ho (Department of Internal Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Sangji University)
- Received : 2016.04.18
- Accepted : 2016.05.23
- Published : 2016.06.30
Objectives: This study introduces the history and types of Korean pharmacopuncture and reports trends of research on Korean pharmacopuncture. Methods: Pharmacopuncture studies were searched from the first year of each search engine to 2014 by using seven domestic and foreign search databases. Selected studies were divided into the history of pharmacopuncture, kinds and features of pharmacopuncture, research types, and experimental and clinic studies and were then classified by year of publication, type of pharmacopuncture, disease, and topic. Results: Pharmacopuncture can be classified into four large groups: meridian field pharmacopuncture (MFP), eight-principles pharmacopuncture (EPP), animal-based pharmacopuncture (ABP) and mountain-ginseng pharmacopuncture, which is a single-compound pharmacopuncture (SCP). The largest numbers of studies were reported from 1997 to 2006, after which the numbers decreased until 2014. Of experimental studies, 51.9%, 18.7%. 14.3%, 9% and 3.4% were on SCP, ABP, MFP, formula pharmacopuncture (FP), and EPP, respectively. Of clinical studies, 54.7%, 15.3%. 14.9% 10.0% and 1.5% were on ABP, MFP, EPP, SCP, and FP (1.5%), respectively. Among clinical studies, case reports and case series accounted for 76.5%, followed by randomized controlled trials (RCTs, 16.4%) and non-RCT (13.9%). Musculoskeletal diseases, toxicity and safety tests, anti-cancer effects, and nervous system diseases were mainly treated in experimental studies while musculoskeletal diseases, nervous system diseases, toxicity and safety tests, and autonomic nerve function tests were addressed in clinical studies. Bee venom (BV) was the most frequently-used pharmacopuncture in mechanism studies. Pharmacopuncture was mainly used to treat musculoskeletal diseases. Conclusion: Pharmacopuncture and studies of it have made great progress in Korea. Studies on BV pharmacopuncture and musculoskeletal diseases accounted for most of the studies reported during the review period. Research on the types of pharmacopuncture and diseases has to be expanded. Especially, studies on the use of MFP and EPP for treating patients with various diseases are needed.
- Korean pharmacopuncture institute. [Pharmacopuncturology: principle and clinical applications]. Seoul: Elsevier Korea LLC; 2012. p. 10. Korean.
- Lee MH, Son IC. [Introduction to the aqua-acupucnture therapy and problems]. The Acupuncture. 1998;15 (2):511-8. Korean.
- Ahn SW. [A reference to the original source of herb-acupuncture in methods]. J pharmacopuncture. 1997;1(1) :87-102. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.1997.1.1.087
- Nam SC. [The world of immunity and Qi, volum II]. Pohang: Gyeongrak uihaksa; 1997. 19-123 p. Korean.
- Kim HS. [The practical research about the analgesic effect of Ziziphi spinosae semen] [master's thesis]. [Seoul]: University of Geonguk; 1978. [Korean].
- Kim JU. [Miraculous pharmacopuncture treatment (2)]. Seoul: Geum-gang publisher; 1990. p. 1990. 165 p. Korean.
- Lee HG, Hong SY. [A comparative study of clinical papers about pharmacopuncture in Korea and China -focusing on papers about musculoskeletal and nervous diseases]. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2009;19(3):47-67. Korean.
- Lee JY, Kang HM, Lim CS, Kwon KR. [Report on the side-effects of pharmacopuncture lubricants (CF, JsD). J Pharmacopuncture. 2007;10(3):137-42. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2007.10.3.137
- Kim HJ, Ji YS, Lee SM, Jeon JH, Kim YI. [A systematic review of clinical study of bee venom acupuncture]. The Acupuncture. 2013;30(4):151-9. Korean. https://doi.org/10.13045/acupunct.2013031
- Lee HS, Lee JD, Koh HK. [The review on the study of bee venom in the domestic papers]. The Acupuncture. 2003;20(3):154-65. Korean.
- Lee JS, Lee JY, Kwon KR, Lee HC. [A study on allergic responses between bee venom and sweet bee venom pharmacopuncture]. J Pharmacopuncture. 2006;9(3):61-77. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2006.9.3.061
- Shin YJ. [A clinical pilot study comparing sweet bee venom parallel treatment with only acupuncture treatment in patient diagnosed with lumbar spine sprain. J Pharmacopuncture. 2011;14(2):37-43. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2011.14.2.037
- Lee SY, Shin KM, Hong JM, Choi SY, Bae KR, Kim HK. [The clinical study on the effect of Hominis placenta pharmacopuncture on asthma]. J Pharmacopuncture. 2008;11(4):79-86. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2008.11.4.079
- Seo GY, Lee SW, Park SJ, Kim SC, Sohn IC, Hwang SY, et al. [Biological activities of Hominis placenta herbal acupuncture prepared by hydrochloric acid hydrolysis]. J Pharmacopuncture. 2010;13(2):5-12. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2010.13.2.005
- Yoo HS, Kang WC, Cho JH, Lee YW, Son CG, Cho CK. [Effects of Hominis placenta herbal acupuncture (HPA) on menstrual cramps]. J Pharmacopuncture. 2005;8(1) :45-9. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2005.8.1.045
- Yoo YK, Kim HJ, Sin MR, Lee DN. [Effects of Hominis placenta pharmacopuncture therapy on the experimentally-induced endometriosis in the rats]. J Korean Obstet Gynecol. 2014;27(1):101-19. Korean. https://doi.org/10.15204/jkobgy2014.27.1.101
- Kim SC. [The analysis of present condition and the method of medical treatment studies on scolopendrid herbal acupuncture]. J Pharmacopuncture. 2006;9 (2):113-27. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2006.9.2.113
- Kim SC, Seo GY, Lee SW, Park SJ, Kim JH, Ahn SH, et al. [Biological activities of scolopendrid pharmacopuncture]. J Pharmacopuncture. 2010;13(3):5-13. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2010.13.3.005
- Cho BJ, Kwon KR. [Proposal of self-targeting therapy of mountain ginseng pharmacopuncture]. J Pharmacopuncture. 2011;14(2):75-80. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2011.14.2.075
- Kwon KR, Wi JS, Kim SW. [Literature study of wild ginseng]. J Pharmacopuncture. 2003;6(2):67-75. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2003.6.2.067
- Pharmacopuncture for asthma: A systematic review and a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials vol.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eujim.2017.03.006