- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Comparative Advantage of the United States and South Korean Manmade Textile Industries
- Shin, Eonyou (Dept. of Apparel, Events, and Hospitality Management, Iowa State University) ;
- Keenan, Caitlyn (School of the Art Institute of Chicago) ;
- Karpova, Elena (Dept. of Apparel, Events, and Hospitality Management, Iowa State University)
- Received : 2015.09.26
- Accepted : 2016.02.18
- Published : 2016.06.30
This study examined the comparative advantage of manmade textile (MMT) industries in the United States (US) and South Korea (SK). The Revealed Comparative Advantage (RCA) framework was used to assess the MMT industries' performance in both countries from 2004 to 2013. With the recent ratification of the United States-South Korea Free Trade Agreement (KORUS FTA), it is important to understand the current state of these industries. Using UN Comtrade export data, the RCA index values were calculated and analyzed for 27 MMT commodities, three aggregate groups, and the whole industry. It was found that SK had a consistent comparative advantage for the whole industry. Furthermore, SK had a larger number of products with a comparative advantage. The research findings indicate that the MMT industry in SK is likely to outperform the US following the complete ratification of the KORUS FTA.
- Allwood, J. M., Lauren, S. E., Rodriguez, C. M., & Bocken, N. M. P. (2006). Well dressed? The present and future sustainability of clothing and textiles in the United Kingdom. University of Cambridge institute for Manufacturing. Cambridge, England: University of Cambridge Institute for Manufacturing.
- Balassa, B. (1965). Trade liberalisation and revealed comparative advantage. Manchester School, 33(2), 99-123. doi:10.1111/j.1467-9957.1965.tb00050.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9957.1965.tb00050.x
- Chang, W., & Kilduff, P. (2002). The US market for technical textiles. Small Business and Technology Development Center. Retrieved from http://www.sbtdc.org/pdf/textiles.pdf
- Chi, T. (2010). An empirical study of trade competitiveness in the U.S. technical textile industry. Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management, 6(4), 1-19. Retrieved from http://ojs.cnr.ncsu.edu/index.php/JTATM/article/viewFile/633/733
- Cho, G., & Cho, J. (2007). The technological development of smart-wear for future daily life. Fiber Technology and Industry, 11(2), 111-116.
- Cooper, W., Manyin, M., Jurenas, R., & Platzer, M. (2011). The Proposed U.S.-South Korea Free Trade Agreement (KORUS FTA): Provisions and implications. Congressional Research Service, 1-53. Retrieved from http://digitalcommons.ilr.cornell.edu/key_workplace/813
- Kamiya, H. (2007). Changing employment structure in the textile industry of Daegu. Geographische Rundschau International, 3, 28-31.
- Kilduff, P., & Chi, T. (2006). Longitudinal patterns of comparative advantage in the textile complex. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 10(2), 150-168. doi:10.1108/13612020610667478 https://doi.org/10.1108/13612020610667478
- Lee, J. (1995). Comparative advantage in manufacturing as a determinant of industrialization: The Korean case. World Development, 23(7), 1195-1214. doi:10.1016/0305-750X(95)00039-F https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-750X(95)00039-F
- Lenzing Group. (n.d.). The global fiber market in 2014. Retrieved from http://www.lenzing.com/en/investors/equitystory/global-fiber-market.html
- Office of the United States Trade Representative. (2015). New opportunities for U.S. exporters under the U.S.-Korea trade agreement. Retrieved from https://ustr.gov/trade-agreements/free-trade-agreements/korus-fta
- Park, K. W., & Kim, M. H. (2009). The industrial relationships in time-varying beta coefficients between Korea and the United States. Applied Economics, 41, 1929-1938. doi:10.1080/00036840601131730 https://doi.org/10.1080/00036840601131730
- Ricardo, D., & Gonner, E. C. K. (1821). Principles of political economy and taxation (3rd Ed.). London, England: John Murray.
- Richardson, D. J., & Zhang, C. (2001). Revealing comparative advantage: Chaotic or coherent patterns across time and sector and U.S. trading partner? In M. Blomstrom and L. S. Goldberg (Eds.), Topics in Empirical International Economics: A Festschrift in Honor of Robert E. Lipsey (chapter 7). Retrieved from http://www.nber.org/chapters/c10583.pdf
- UN Comtrade, (2015). Database [Data file]. Retrieved from http://www.UNComtrade.org/
- Williams, B., Manyin, M., Jurenas, R., & Platzer, M. (2014). The U.S.-South Korea free trade agreement (KORUS FTA): Provisions and implementation (Research Report No. 7-5700). Retrieved from Federation of American Scientists website: http://fas.org/sgp/crs/row/RL34330.pdf
- World Trade Organization (WTO). (n.d.). Textiles: Agreements. Retrieved from http://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/texti_e/texintro_e.