- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Design Graphs for Asphalt Concrete Track with Wide Sleepers Using Performance Parameters
성능요소를 반영한 광폭 침목형 아스팔트콘크리트 궤도 설계그래프
- Lee, SeongHyeok (Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Lim, Yujin (Department of Civil, Environmental and Railroad Engineering Paichai University) ;
- Song, Geunwoo (KRTC) ;
- Cho, Hojin (Department of Civil, Environmental and Railroad Engineering Paichai University)
- Received : 2015.11.09
- Accepted : 2016.03.21
- Published : 2016.06.30
Wheel load, design velocity, traffic amount (MGT), stiffness and thickness of sub-layers of asphalt concrete track are selected as performance design parameters in this study. A pseudo-static wheel load computed considering the dynamic amplification factor (DAF) based on the design velocity of the KTX was applied to the top of asphalt concrete track for full three dimensional structural analysis using the ABAQUS program. Tensile strains at the bottom of the asphalt concrete layer and vertical strains at the top of the subgrade were computed from the structural FEA with different combinations of performance parameter values for one asphalt concrete track section. Utilizing the computed structural analysis results such as the tensile strains and the vertical strains, it was possible to develop design graphs to investigate proper track sections for different combination of the performance parameters including wheel load, design velocity, traffic amount(MGT), stiffness and thickness of asphalt concrete layers for any given design life. By analyzing the proposed design graphs for asphalt concrete track, it was possible to propose simple design tables that can be used by engineers for the effective and fast design of track.
Supported by : 국토교통부
- S.H. Lee, J.W. Lee, Y.J. Lim (2013) Development of asphalt track system suited to speed-up, The Magazine of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 61(11), pp. 10-17.
- Rail.One (2008) Innovative Technology for the Rail Transportation of Tomorrow, Rail One, Pfleiderer Track Systems.
- Korea Railway Research Institute (2014) Development of asphalt roadbed and track system suited to speed up, Korea Railway Research Institute.
- Y. Momoya (2007) New Railway Roadbed Design, Railway Technology Avalanche, 20, p. 118.
- Y. Momoya, E. Sekine (2007) Performance-based Design Method for Railway Asphalt Roadbed. Doboku Gakkai Ronbunshuu E, 63, pp. 608-619. https://doi.org/10.2208/jsceje.63.608
- J. Rose, H. Lees (2008) Long-Term Assessment of Asphalt Trackbed Component, Materials' Properties and Performance, American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-Way Assoc. 2008 Annual Conference Proceedings, Salt Lake City, UT, p. 50.
- Y. H. Huang, J. G. Rose, C. J. Khoury (1987) Thickness design for hot-mix asphalt railroad trackbeds, The 1987 Technical Sessions of the Association of Asphalt Paving Technologies, Remo, Nevada, pp. 427-453.
- S. Lee, J. Lee, H. Lee (2015) Behavioral Characteristics of Ballasted Track on Asphalt Roadbed Using Real Scale Test, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 18(3), pp. 252-260. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2015.18.3.252
- Y. Lim, S. Lee, J. Lee, H, Cho (2012) Evaluation of Dynamic Properties of Crushed Stones Used as Reinforced Trackbed Foundation Materials Using Midsize Resonant Column Test apparatus, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 15(5), pp. 476-484. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2012.15.5.476
- Korea Rail Network Authority (2014) Load, Korea Rail Network Authority, KR Code C-08020.
- AASHTO (2002) 2002 Design guide of new and rehabilitated pavement structures, Research Report, National Coopertative HighwayResearch Program.
- D. Li (1994) Railway track granular layer thickness design based on subgrade performance under repeated loading, PhD dissertation, University of Massachusetts.
- G.W. Song (2013) Development of thickness design charts for asphalt trackbed foundation based on 3D finite element analyses, Master's Thesis, PaiChai University.
- Korean Society of Transportation (2003) Railway investment analysis and evaluation handbook, Korean National Railroad