- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Characteristics and Efficiency Analysis of Evolutionary Seoul Metropolitan Subway Network
진화하는 서울 지하철 망의 특성과 효율성 분석
- Zzang, See-Young (Department of Industrial & Information Systems Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, Kang-Won (Department of Industrial & Information Systems Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2016.04.20
- Accepted : 2016.05.16
- Published : 2016.06.30
The metropolitan subway network of Seoul has gone through many evolutionary processes in past decades to disperse the floating population and improve the traffic flow. In this study, we analyzed how the structural characteristics and the efficiency of the subway network have changed according to the dynamic evolutionary processes of the metropolitan subway network of Seoul. We have also proposed new measures that can be used to characterize the structural properties of the subway network more practically. It is shown that the global efficiency is about 74%, which is higher than those of subway networks of foreign countries. It should also be considered that passenger flow between stations is even higher, at about 85%. Since the private lines, including line 9, the New Bundang line, the Uijeongbu line, and the Ever line do not release their traffic data since September, 2013, only 5 years of data from September, 2008 to September, 2013 is available. So, in this study we limit the analysis period to these 5 years.
Supported by : Seoul National University of Science and Technology
- S. Derrible, C. Kennedy (2010) Evaluating, Comparing, and Improving Metro Networks: Application to Plans for Toronto, Canada, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2146, pp.43-51. https://doi.org/10.3141/2146-06
- M.L. Mouronte (2014) Topological Analysis of the Subway Network of Madrid, International Multi-Conference on Computing in the Global Information Technology, Seville, Spain, pp.9-13.
- V. Latora, M. Marchiori (2001) Efficient Behavior of Small-World Networks, Physical Review Letters, 87(19), p.198701. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.87.198701
- http://www.ktdb.go.kr (Accessed 30 June 2015).
- http://data.seoul.go.kr (Accessed 28 September 2015).
- R. Bullock (2007) Great circle distances and bearings between two locations, MDT. June 5.
- http://kosis.kr (Accessed 28 September 2015).
- L. Biao, Z. Xiaoxi, X. Zhang. (2014) Evaluating the evolution of subway networks: evidence from beijing subway network, EPL(Europhysics Letters), 105(5), p.58004. https://doi.org/10.1209/0295-5075/105/58004
- V. Latora, M. Marchiori. (2002) Is the Boston subway a small-world network?, Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, 314(1), pp.109-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4371(02)01089-0
- C. Han, L. Liu. (2009) Topological vulnerability of subway network in China, International Conference on Management and Service Science, Shanghai, China, pp.1-4.
- T. Majima, M. Katuhara, K. Takadama (2007) Analysis on Transport Networks of Railway, Subway and Waterbus in Japan, Studies in Computational Intelligence, 56, pp.99-113.
- Network Betweenness Centrality and Passenger Flow Analysis of Seoul Metropolitan Subway Lines vol.41, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11627/jkise.2018.41.2.095