- Volume 49 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Input output transfer function model development for a prediction of cyanobacteria cell number in Youngsan River
영산강 수계에서 남조류 세포수 모의를 위한 입출력 모형의 개발
- Lee, Eunhyung (Dept. Environmental Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Kyunghyun (Water Environment Research Department, Water Quality Control Center, National Institute of Environmental Research, Ministry of Environment) ;
- Kim, Sanghyun (Dept. Environmental Engineering, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2016.02.02
- Accepted : 2016.08.18
- Published : 2016.09.30
Frequent algal blooms at major river systems in Korea have been serious social and environmental problems. Especially, the appearance of cyanobacteria with toxic materials is a threat to secure a safe drinking water. In order to model the behaviour of cyanobacteria cell number, an exclusive causality analysis using prewhitening technique was introduced to delineate effective parameters to predict the cell numbers of cyanobacteria in Seungchon Weir and Juksan Weir along Youngsan river system. Both input and output transfer function models were obtained to explain temporal variation of cyanobacteria cell number. A threshold behaviour of water temperature was implemented into the model development to consider winter characteristic of cyanobacteria. The implementation of water temperature threshold into the model structure improves the predictability in simulation. Even though the input output transfer model cannot completely explained all blooms of cyanobacteria, the simple structure of model provide a feasibility in application which can be important in practical aspect.
Grant : BK21플러스
Supported by : 부산대학교
- Ahn, C.Y., Kim, H.S., Yoon, B.D., and Oh, H.M. (2003). "Influence of rainfall on cyanobacterial bloom in daechung reservoir." Korean Journal of Limnology, Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 413-419.
- Bin, W., Norio, S., and Takaaki, M. (2000). "Use of artificial neural network in the prediction of algal bloom." Water Research, Vol. 35, No. 8, pp. 2022-2028. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(00)00464-4
- Box, G.E., and Cox, D.R. (1964). "An analysis of transformation." Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B, pp. 211-252.
- Box, G.E., and Jenkins, G.M. (1976). Time series analysis: Forecasting and control, Revised ed., Prentice Hall, Englewood cliffs, New Jersey
- Cho, K.H., Kang, J.H., Ki, S.J., Park, Y., Cha, S.M., and Kim, J.H. (2009). Science of the Total Environment 407, pp. 2536-2545.
- Chu, T.C., and Rienzo, M.J. (2013). Bloom forming cyanobacteria and other phytoplankton in northern New Jersey freshwater bodies, International Perspectives on Water Quality Management and Pollutant Control, pp. 1-23.
- Davis, T.W., Berry, D.L., Boyer, G.L., and Gobler, C.J. (2009). The effects of temperature and nutrients on the growth and dynamics of toxic and non-toxic strains of Microcystis during cyanobacteria blooms, Harmful Algae, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 715-725. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hal.2009.02.004
- Eppley, R.W. (1972). Temperature and phytoplankton growth in sea, Fishery Bulletin, Vol. 70, No. 4, pp. 1063-1085.
- Fisher, T.R., Peele, E.R., Ammerman, J.W., Harding, L.W., Marine Ecology Progress Series, 82, pp. 51-63.
- Grum, M., Aalderink, R.H., Lijklema, L., and Spliid, H. (1997). "The underlying structure of systematic variations in the event mean concentrations of pollutants in urban runoff." Water Science and Technology, Vol. 36, No. 8-9, pp. 135-140. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0273-1223(97)00607-0
- Jeong, K.S., Kim, D.K., Jung, J.M., Kim, M.C., and Joo, G.J. (2008). "Non linear autoregressive modelling by temporal recurrent neural networks for the prediction of freshwater phytoplankton dynamics." Ecological Modelling, Vol. 211, pp. 292-300. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2007.09.029
- Jeong, K.S., Joo, G.J., Kim, H.W., Kyong, K., and Friendrich, R. (2001). "Prediction and elucidation of phytoplankton dynamics in the Nakdong River(Korea) by means of a recurrent artificial neural network." Ecological Modelling, Vol. 146, pp. 115-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3800(01)00300-3
- Kim, M.S., Chung, Y.R., Suh, E.H., and Song, W.S. (2002). Eutrophication of Nakdong river and statistical analysis of environmental factors, Algae, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 105-115. https://doi.org/10.4490/ALGAE.2002.17.2.105
- Kormas, K.A., Gkelis, S., Vardaka, E., and Gouni, M.M. (2010). Morphological and molecular analysis of bloom-forming cyanobacteria in two eutrophic, shallow Mediterranean lakes, Limnologica, Vol. 41, pp. 167-173.
- Lehmann, A., and Rode, M. (2001). "Long-term behaviour and cross correlation water quality analysis of the River Elbe." Water Research, Vol. 35, No. 9, pp. 2153-2160. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(00)00488-7
- National institute of environmental research (2014). Development of water quality forecasting methods for protection of river recreation activities, 1, pp. 246-253.
- Oh, H.M., Ahn, C.Y., Lee, J.W., Chon, T.S., Choi, K.H., and Park, Y.S. (2007). Community patterning and identification of predominant factors in algal bloom in Daechung Reservoir (Korea) using artificial neural networks, Ecological Modeling, Vol. 203, pp. 109-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2006.04.030
- Oh. H.M., Lee, S.J., Kim, J.H., Kim, H.S., and Yoon, B.D. (2001). "Seasonal variation and indirect monitoring of microcystin concentrations in Daechung Reservoir." Applied and Environmental Microbiology, pp. 1484-1489.
- Reynolds, C.S. (1984). The ecology of freshwater phytoplankton, Cambridge studies in ecology, p. 396.
- Smith, V.H. (1987). "Prediction of nuisance blue-green algal growth in North Carolina waters." Water Resource Research, p. 233.
- Sun, H., and Koch, M. (2001). "Case study: Analysis and forecasting of salinity in Apalachicola bay, Florida, using Box-Jenkins ARIMA models." Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol. 127, No. 9.
- Thomann, R.V., and Mueller, J.A. (1987). Principles of Surface Water Quality Modeling and Control. Harper and Row, New York.