- Volume 14 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Convergence Approach about the Knowledge, Attitude toward the Elderly, and Competence of Carers
요양보호사의 노인에 대한 지식정도, 태도 및 요양업무 능숙도에 대한 융복합적 접근
- Park, Kyongok (Dept. of Nursing, Far East University)
- 박경옥 (극동대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2016.08.05
- Accepted : 2016.09.20
- Published : 2016.09.28
This study aimed to identify the level of knowledge, attitude toward the elderly, competence of carers, and the correlation between these variables. Research design employed a cross sectional descriptive study using structured questionnaires. Data were collected from 145 carers who have worked in long term care facilities from June 2014 to September 2014. Descriptive statistics, ANOVA, independent t-test, and Pearson correlation coefficient were performed to identify the relationship among variables. The competence of carers was related to a positive attitude and a higher knowledge of caring for the elderly. Therefore, educational content that considers improvement among carers who have a low level of educational status should be developed. It should require carers to have a positive attitude toward the elderly through improving the job environment in order to increase the quality of long term care.
- Welfare of the Aged Act. Available From: http://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=178129&efYd=20160101#0000 (accessed May, 15, 2016).
- Korea Long Term Care Worker Association. Available From: http://www.caremanager.or.kr (accessed May, 15, 2016)
- Korea Nurses Association. http://www.koreanurse.or.kr/resources/be_nurse.php (accessed May, 15, 2016)
- Y. M. Choi, H. W. Moon, "The research about the models of schooling long-term caregivers-through the comparison and analysis of Japan Ghaeo caregiver, home help", Korean Journal of Care Management, Vol. 8, No. 12, pp 1-20, 2014.
- J. A. Kim, "Study for the job satisfaction of nursing caregiver", Unpublished master's thesis, Dongguk University", Seoul, 2010.
- Y. T. Kim, H. W. Kim, Y. B. Yeom, "A study on the critical variable of job satisfaction of care giver between Long term and home base care service center", Journal of welfare for the aged, Vol. 46, pp.53-76, 2009.
- W. Y. Lim, "The factors affecting on recognition of professionalism of caregivers", Journal of welfare and counselling education, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 65-80, 2012.
- H. K. Choi, "A Study on the effect of the attitude on the elderly in the geriatric facilities and job satisfaction by care helpers on the quality of service", Unpublished master's thesis, Daegu University, Daegu, 2014.
- H. J. Shin, "The relation between the caregivers' knowledge, attitude and service quality for the older adults in nursing homes", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2011.
- K. N. Chon, O. I. Park, H. Moon, "The effect of caregiver's knowledge and attitude toward the elderly on job stress", The Korean Journal of Community Living Science, Vol. 21, No.1, pp.19-32, 2010.
- K. J. Kwon, S. Y. Lee, T. J. Park, "Analysis on elder abuse of the Korea elderly long-term care hospital", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No.1, pp. 553-560, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.1.553
- H. J. Lee, S. H. Kwon, "The effects of work environment characteristics and job stress on the job satisfaction among caregivers", Journal of Welfare for the Aged, Vol. 51, pp. 125-144, 2011.
- E. H. Lee, B. K. Jung, "A study on eco-systemic factors that affect the job satisfaction of the care givers who involved in long term care service center", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 10, pp. 383-388. 2012.
- S. Y. Yoon, Y. S. Seo, Y. C. Kwon, "Factors influencing the turnover intention in long term care hospital care workers", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13. No. 1, pp. 321-329. 2015
- E. B. Palmore, "The facts on aging quiz 2nd ed". Springer, New York, 1998.
- Y. S. Lim, J. S. Kim, K. S. Kim, "Nurses' knowledge and attitudes toward the elderly", Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, Vol. 22, No.1, pp.31-46, 2002.
- G. F. Sanders, J. E. Montgomery, J. F. Pittman Jr, C. Balkwell, "Youth's attitudes toward the elderly", Journal of Applied Gerontology, Vol. 3, pp. 59-70. 1984. https://doi.org/10.1177/073346488400300107
- J. R. Han, "Youth's attitudes toward the elderly", Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp.181-194, 2003.
- Korea Research Institute for Vocational Education and Training, Available From : http://www.krivet.re.kr/ku/ca/prg_kuADBVw.jsp?gn=E1-E120140388&myCategoryCode=publication (accessed May, 15, 2016)
- J. Y. Jung, Y. S. Young, "Elder care related knowledge, attitudes, nursing practice and awareness of elder abuse in geriatric hospital health personnels", Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, Vol. 14, No.3, pp. 233-241, 2012.
- M. H. Jeong, S. S. Kwon, "Relationship between knowledge and attitudes toward elders of certified caregiver trainees", Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, Vol. 11(1), pp. 51-61, 2009.
- H.. S. Jung, "The association between knowledge and attitude towards the elderly and quality of care service among home caregivers", Unpublished master's thesis, Chosun University, Gwangju, 2015.
- Y. A. Kim, H. S. Yoon, "Analyses of factors influencing caregivers' attitudes toward elders in long term care facilities", Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, Vol. 14, No.3, pp. 173-181, 2012.
- S. H. Kim, N. H. Kim, "The effects of rehabilitation hospital nurses' professional autonomy and self-efficacy on professional self-concept", Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No.1, pp. 165-174, 2016.
- S. H. Lee, Y. J. Choo, L. Huffman, N. Cordero, "Service orientation, job satisfaction, job dissatisfaction, and intention to leave in large and small long-term care facilities -an empirical analysis-", Korea Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, Vol. 26, No.6, pp. 465-485, 2012.
- H. N. Sun, C. Jung, "An analysis of nursing competency affecting on job satisfaction and nursing performance among clinical nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 286-294, 2010. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.3.286
- G. N. Gang, "Factors influencing turnover intention of nurses in small-medium sized hospitals", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 155-165.2012 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.2.155
- L. S. Lee, "The Effect of the attitude toward the elderly and job satisfaction by caregivers on the quality of service: Comparison research with elderly care facillities and home care facillities by caregivers", Unpublished master's thesis, Gyeongsang National University, Daegu, 2012.
- E H. Park, H R. Park, H S. Kim, "Approaches to convergence curriculum for healthcare-affiliated students with clinical competence assessment program", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp 79-86, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.3.079
- M K. Kim, D Park, O Ahn, "The care giving burden of primary caregiver based on nursing needs of long-term care insurance grade", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp 8-16, 2014.