- Volume 60 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Performance evaluation of wavelet and curvelet transforms based-damage detection of defect types in plate structures
- Hajizadeh, Ali R. (Department of Civil Engineering, Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman) ;
- Salajegheh, Javad (Department of Civil Engineering, Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman) ;
- Salajegheh, Eysa (Department of Civil Engineering, Shahid Bahonar University of Kerman)
- Received : 2015.11.29
- Accepted : 2016.09.20
- Published : 2016.11.25
This study focuses on the damage detection of defect types in plate structures based on wavelet transform (WT) and curvelet transform (CT). In particular, for damage detection of structures these transforms have been developed since the last few years. In recent years, the CT approach has been also introduced in an attempt to overcome inherent limitations of traditional multi-scale representations such as wavelets. In this study, the performance of CT is compared with WT in order to demonstrate the capability of WT and CT in detection of defect types in plate structures. To achieve this purpose, the damage detection of defect types through defect shape in rectangular plate is investigated. By using the first mode shape of plate structure and the distribution of the coefficients of the transforms, the damage existence, the defect location and the approximate shape of defect are detected. Moreover, the accuracy and performance generality of the transforms are verified through using experimental modal data of a plate.
- ABAQUS (2011), "ABAQUS user's manual V 6.11", University of Cambridge.
- Aboufadel, E. and Schlicker, S. (2009), Discovering wavelets, Wiley, New York.
- Bagheri, A., Ghodrati Amiri, G. and Seyed Razzaghi, S.A. (2009), "Vibration-based damage identification of plate structures via curvelettransform", J. Sound. Vib., 327, 593-603. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2009.06.019
- Bombale, B.S., Singha, M.K. and Kapuria, S. (2008), "Detection of delamination damage in composite beams and plates using wavelet analysis", Struct. Eng. Mech., 30(6), 699-712. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2008.30.6.699
- Candes, E. (1988), "Ridgelet: theory and application", Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Statistics, Stanford University.
- Candes, E. and Donoho, D. (2000), "Curvelets a surprisingly effective non adaptive representation for objects with edges", Technical report, Department of Statistics, Stanford University.
- Candes, E., Demanet, L., Donoho, D. and Ying, L., (2005), Fast discrete curvelet transforms, Caltech, Pasadena, CA.
- Chang, Ch. and Chen, L.W. (2004), "Damage detection of a rectangular plate by spatial wavelet based approach", J. Appl. Acoust., 65, 819-832. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2004.01.004
- Daubechies, I. (1990), "Wavelet transform, time-frequency localization and signal analysis", IEEE. T. Inform. Theory, 36(5), 961-1005.
- Daubechies, I. (1992), Ten Lectures on Wavelets, CBMS-NSF Conference Series in Applied Mathematics, New York.
- Doebling, S.W., Farrar, C.R., Prime, M.B. and Shevitz, D.W. (1996), "Damage identification and health monitoring of structural and mechanical systems from changes in their vibration characteristics: A Literature Review", Los Alamos National Laboratory RTeport.
- Douka, E., Loutridis, S. and Trochidis, A. (2002), "Crack identification in plates using wavelet analysis", J. Sound. Vib., 270, 279-295.
- Fan, W. and Qiao, P. (2009), "A 2-dcontinuous wavelet transform of mode shape data for damage detection of plate structures", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 46, 4379-4395. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2009.08.022
- Gokdag, H. (2011), "Wavelet-based damage detection method for a beam-type structure carrying moving mass", Struct. Eng. Mech., 38(1), 81-97. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2011.38.1.081
- Gokdag, H. and Kopmaz O. (2010), "A new structural damage detection index based on analyzing vibration modes by the wavelet transform", Struct. Eng. Mech., 35(2), 257-260. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2010.35.2.257
- He, W.Y. and Zhu, S. (2015), "Adaptive-scale damage detection strategy for plate structures based on wavelet finite element model", Struct. Eng. Mech., 45(2), 239-256.
- Hinton, E. (1988), Numerical methods and software for dynamic analysis of plates and shells, Pineridge Press, Swansea.
- Hou, Z., Noori, M. and Amand, St. (2000), "Wavelet-based approach for structural damage detection", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 124(10), 1059-1066.
- Kim, B.H., Kim, H. and Park, T. (2006), "Nondestructive damage evaluation of plates using the multiresolution analysis of two-dimensional haar wavelet", J. Sound. Vib., 292, 82-104.
- Liew, K.M. and Wang, Q. (1998), "Application of wavelet theory for crack identification in structures", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 124(2), 152-157. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1998)124:2(152)
- Loutridis, S., Douka, E., Hadjileontiadis, L.J. and Trochidis, A. (2005), "A two-dimensional wavelet transform for detection of cracks in plates", J. Eng. Struct., ASCE, 27(9), 1327-1338. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.03.006
- Mallat, S. (1998), A wavelet tour of signal processing, Academic Press, Stephane Mallat, USA.
- Ovanesova, A. and Suarez, L.E. (2004), "Application of wavelet transforms to damage detection in frame structure", J. Eng. Struct., ASCE, 26(1), 39-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2003.08.009
- Pakrashi, V. and Alan, O. (2009), "A comparative analysis of structural damage detection techniques by wavelet, kurtosis and pseudo fractal methods", Struct. Eng. Mech, 32(4), 489-500. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2009.32.4.489
- Rucka, M. and Wilde, K. (2006), "Application of continuous wavelet transform in vibration based damage detection method for beams and plates", J. Sound. Vib., 297, 536-550. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2006.04.015
- Wang, Q. and Deng, X. (1999), "Damage detection with spatial wavelets", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 36(23), 3443-3468. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(98)00152-8
- Xu, W., Cao, M., Ostachowicz, W., Radzienski, M. and Xia, N. (2015), "Two-dimensional curvature mode shape method basedon wavelets and Teager energy for damage detection in plates", J. Sound. Vib., 7, 266-278.
- Yang, J.M., Yang, Z.W. and Tseng, C.M. (2011), "Damage detection in stiffened plates by wavelet transform", Int. J. Nav. Arch. Ocean., 3, 126-135. https://doi.org/10.2478/IJNAOE-2013-0055
- Influence of Defects on Reinforced Concrete Fracture Performance in Improved Wedge Splitting Tests vol.47, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1520/JTE20170176
- Comparisons of wavelets and contourlets for vibration-based damage identification in the plate structures pp.2048-4011, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1177/1369433218824903