- Volume 38 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Upstream Incoherent Crosstalk Caused by ASE Noise from Tx-Disabled ONUs in XG-PONs and TWDM-PONs
- Lee, Han Hyub (Communications & Internet Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Rhy, Hee Yeal (Strategy Team, Ericsson-LG) ;
- Lee, Sangsoo (Communications & Internet Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Lee, Jong Hyun (Communications & Internet Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Chung, Hwan Seok (Communications & Internet Research Laboratory, ETRI)
- Received : 2015.02.03
- Accepted : 2015.10.07
- Published : 2016.02.01
A large incoherent crosstalk (IC) caused by amplified spontaneous emission (ASE) noise power from Tx-disabled optical network units and a differential path loss has been shown to degrade upstream transmission performance in time-division multiplexing passive optical networks. This paper considers the IC-induced power penalty of an upstream signal both in an XG-PON and in a TWDM-PON. We investigate the degradation of the extinction ratio and relative intensity noise through a simulation and experiments. For the XG-PON case, we observe a 9.6 dB difference in the level of ASE noise power from Tx-disabled ONUs (hereafter known simply as ASE noise) between our result and the ITU-T XG-PON PMD recommendation. We propose an optical filtering method to mitigate an IC-induced power penalty. In the TWDM-PON case, the IC-induced power penalty is naturally negligible because the ASE noise is filtered by a wavelength multiplexer at the optical line terminal. The results provide design guidelines for the level of ASE noise in both XG-PONs and TWDM-PONs.
Grant : Development of key and advanced technologies for high-capacity WDM access networks
Supported by : IITP
- ITU-T Rec. G.989.1, "40-Gigabit-Capable Passive Optical Networks (NG-PON2): General Requirements," 2013.
- ITU-T Rec. G.989.2, "40-Gigabit-Capable Passive Optical Networks 2 (NG-PON2): Physical Media Dependent (PMD) Layer Specification," 2014.
- ITU-T Rec. G.989.3, "40-Gigabit-Capable Passive Optical Networks 2 (NG-PON2): Transmission Convergence (TC) Layer Specification, Under Study," 2015.
- D. Iida et al., "Dynamic TWDM-PON for Mobile Radio Access," Opt. Exp., vol. 21, no. 22, 2013, pp. 26209-26218. https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.21.026209
- N. Cheng et al., "Flexible TWDM PON System with Pluggable Optical Transceiver Modules," Opt. Exp., vol. 22, no. 2, 2014, pp. 2078-2091. https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.22.002078
- H. Yang et al., "ONU Migration in Dynamic Time and Wavelength Division Multiplexed Passive Optical Network (TWDM-PON)," Opt. Exp., vol. 21, no. 18, 2013, pp. 21491-21499. https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.21.021491
- S. Ihara et al., "Experimental Demonstration of C-Band Burst-Mode Transmission for High Power Budget (64-Split with 40 km Distance) TWDM-PON Systems," presented at the Conf. Opt. Commun., London, UK, Sept. 22-26, 2013, pp. 1-3.
- S.-G. Mun et al., "Wavelength Initialization Employing Wavelength Recognition Scheme in WDM-PON Based on Tunable Lasers," Opt. Fiber Technol., vol. 21, Jan. 2015, pp. 141-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yofte.2014.10.002
- J. Kim et al., "Physical Media Dependent Prototype for 10-Gigabit-Capable PON OLT," ETRI J., vol. 35, no. 2, Apr. 2013, pp. 245-252. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.13.0112.0441
- Calix, "Burst Extinction Ratio Requirements," FSAN Bad Nauheim Meeting, Aug. 2013.
- H.H. Lee et al., "Investigation on Burst-Mode Inter-Channel Crosstalk in XG-PON and TWDM-PON," presented at the Opt. Fiber Commun. Conf., Los Angeles, CA, USA, 2014.
- H.Y. Rhy et al., "Inter-Channel Crosstalk Impairment of Time and Wavelength Division Multiplexing Passive Optical Network," presented at the European Conf. Opt. Commun., London, UK, Sept. 22-26, 2013, pp. 1-3.
- F. Liu, C.J. Rasmussen, and R.J.S. Pedersen, "Experimental Verification of a New Model Describing the Influence of Incomplete Signal Extinction Ratio on the Sensitivity Degradation due to Multiple Interferometric Crosstalk," Photon. Technol. Lett., vol. 11, no. 11, Jan. 1999, pp. 137-139. https://doi.org/10.1109/68.736421
- G.P. Agrawal, "Optical Receivers" in Fiber-Optic Communication Systems, New York, USA: Willey, 2010, pp. 133-178.
- M. Abramowitz and I.A. Stegun, Eds., "Handbook of Mathematical Functions," New York, USA: Dover, 1970.
- ITU-T Rec. G.987.2, 10-Gigabit-Capable Passive Optical Networks (XG-PON): Physical Media Dependent (PMD) Layer Specification, 2010.
- ITU-T Rec. G.984.5, Gigabit-Capable Passive Optical Networks (G-PON): Enhancement Band, 2014.
- W. Pohlmann et al., "Low Cost TWDM by Wavelength-Set Division Multiplexing," Bell Labs Techn. J., vol. 18, no. 3, 2013, pp. 173-193. https://doi.org/10.1002/bltj.21633
- N. Cheng et al., "Flexible TWDM PON with Load Balancing and Power Saving," presented at the European Conf. Opt. Commun., Anaheim, CA, USA, 2013.