- Volume 7 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Mother's Parenting Stress on Children's Problematic Behavior in the Times of Convergence : The Moderating Effects of Father's Parenting Participation
융복합시대 어머니의 양육 스트레스가 유아의 문제행동에 미치는 영향 : 아버지의 양육 참여의 조절효과
- Kim, Eun-Deok (Department of Social Welfare, Hanyoung University) ;
- Park, Chan-sang (Department of Social Welfare, Hanyoung University)
- Received : 2017.11.16
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.31
This study aims to examine the moderating effects of father's parenting participation on the effects of mother's parenting stress on children's problematic behavior. To reveal this, the 3rd year data of Panel Study on Korean Children was analyzed. The results of the analysis are like below. First, mother's parenting stress was a main factor having effects on children's internalization and externalization. The correlation and regression analysis showed that mother's parenting stress had positive effects on children's internalization and externalization. Second, father's parenting participation had no effects on children's problematic behavior. Third, mother's parenting stress had effects on children's internalization based on the interactions with father's parenting participation. In other words, father's parenting participation had moderating effects on the effects of mother's parenting stress on children's contraction and depression/anxiety. Based on it, the educational and welfare suggestions were made.
- J. W. Santrock. (2007). A Topical Approach to Life-Span Development. NY : Mcgraw-Hill Companies.
- G. R. Patterson, D, Capaldi & L. Bank. (1991). An early starter model for predicting delinquency. In An earlier draft of this chapter was presented at the Earls court Conference. NJ : Erlbaum.
- C. H. Qi & A. P. Kaiser. (2004). Problem Behaviors of Low-Income Children with Language Delays : An Observation Study. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 47(3), 596-609.
- J. B. Tomblin, X. Zhang, P. Buckwalter & H. Catts. (2000). The Association of Reading Disability, Behavioral Disorders, and Language Impairment Among Second-Grade Children. The Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, 41(4), 473-482. DOI : 10.1017/s002196300000559x https://doi.org/10.1111/1469-7610.00632
- S. B. Campbell & L. J. Ewing. (1990). Follow-up of Hard-to-Manage Preschoolers : Adjustment at Age 9 and Predictors of Continuing Symptoms. The Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 31(6), 871-889. DOI : 10.1111/j.1469-7610.1990.tb00831.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.1990.tb00831.x
- E. G. Feil, H. H. Severson & H. M. Walker. (1998). Screening for Emotional and Behavioral delays : The Early Screening Project. Journal of Early Intervention, 21(3), 252-266. DOI : 10.1177/105381519802100306 https://doi.org/10.1177/105381519802100306
- E. J. Mash & D. A. Dozois. (2003). Child Psychopathology : A Developmental Systems Perspective. Child Psychopathology, 3-71.
- R. Wicks-Nelson & A. C. Israel. (1991). Behavior Disorder of Childhood. NJ : Prentcie Hall.
- T. M. Achenbach. (1991). Manual for the Teacher's Report Form and 1991 profile. USA : University of Vermont.
- Y. Kim, T. S. Han & H. J. Hwang. (2004). A Study on the Relative Effects of Emotional Intelligence, Cognitive Ability and Temperament on the Emotional and Behavioral Problems of Preschool Children. The Korean Society for Child Education, 24(6), 277-298.
- S. N. Choi & Y. K. Moon. (2016). The Influences of Child Daily Stress and Parental Discipline Style, Preschoolers Problem Behaviors According to The Gender. The Korean Association of Child Care and Education, 97, 125-156.
- Y. J. Bae. (2012). The relationships among parents' effortful control, affectionate parenting behavior, preschooler's effortful control, prosocial behavior, and cognitive problem-solving ability. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. Kungpook National University, Daegu.
- Newsis. (2016). In the Era of Twilight Parenting due to the Increase of Dual-Income Families, the Health Signal of the Senior Class Medical Room Uninsured. Newsis. http://newsiswire.co.kr
- JTBC. (2016). 10 Years of Parental Leave. Women still bear the burden. JTBC. http://news.jtbc.joins.com/article/article.aspx?news_id=NB11147716&pDate=20160112
- S. W. Seo & S. K. Woo. (2016). The Effects of Mothers Parenting Stress on Children's Problem Behaviors : Mediating Effects of Mothers Psychological Characteristics. Early Childhood Education Research & Review, 20(2), 519-539.
- H. S. Choi, H. O. Yoon & E. M. Yeon. (1998). A Longitudinal Study on the Effects of Parenting Stress and Parenting Attitude on Internalizing and Externalizing Problem Behaviors of Preschooler : Focusing on Actor and Partner Effects. Early Childhood Education Research & Review, 20(2), 495-517.
- Ministry of Employment and Labor. (2012). Male Paternity Leave Increased Rapidly. MOEL. http://www.moel.go.kr
- H. H. Jeong & K. S. Choi. (1992). Father's Child-Rearing Behaviors and Children's Prosocial Moral Judgement. Korean Association of Child Studies, 13(1), 38-51.
- J. J. Bigner. (1977). Attitudes toward Fathering and Father-Child Activity. Home Economics Research Journal, 6(2), 89-106. DOI : 10.1177/1077727x7700600201 https://doi.org/10.1177/1077727x7700600201
- R. C. Barnett & G. K. Baruch. (1987). Determinants of Father's Participation in Family work. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 49(1), 29-40. DOI : 10.2307/352667 https://doi.org/10.2307/352667
- K. Adamsons & C. Buehler. (2007). Mothering Versus Fathering Versus Parenting : Measurement Equivalence in Parenting Measures. Parenting Science and Practice, 7(3), 271-303. DOI : 10.1080/15295190701498686 https://doi.org/10.1080/15295190701498686
- S. M. Ahn. (2013). Father's Participation and Parenting Time. The Graduate School Seoul National University, Seoul.
- J. S. Kim. (2000). Children's Prosocial Behavior According to Father's Child Rearing Attitude and Rearing Involvement. The Graduate School of Ewha Womams University, Seoul.
- H. J. Moon. (1998). A Study of Variables Related to Parental Child-Rearing Practices. Family and Environment Research, 36(11), 91-101.
- A. S. Shin, K. H. Kim & J. E. Yoo. (2005). The Influence of Infant Temperament and Father's Involvement in Child-Rearing on Infant's. Social and Emotional Behavior. 15(3), 173-191.
- J. E. Ryu, A. S. Sin & K. H. Kim, M. J. Song. (2016). Structural Relations among Infants Temperament, Fathers Parenting Participation, and Infants. Social and Emotional Behavior Development. 17(9), 279-291.
- H. J. Lim. (2016). The Difference of Child's Problem Behaviors by Child's Temperament and Parent's Parenting Variables Cluster. The Korean Society for Early Childhood Education, 36(1), 37-55. DOI : 10.18023/kjece.2016.36.1.002 https://doi.org/10.18023/kjece.2016.36.1.002
- J. Fagan & A. Iglesias. (1999). Father Involvement Program Effects on Fathers, Father Figures, and Their Head Start Children : A Quasi-Experimental Study. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 14(2), 243-269. DOI : 10.1016/s0885-2006(99)00008-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-2006(99)00008-3
- J. Pleck & B. Masciadrelli. (2004). Paternal Involvement by U.S. Residential Fathers : Levels, Sources, and Consequences. NY : Wiley.
- R. H. Kang. (2001). The Fathers' care of Pre-School Children and Their Social Competence-A Comparison of Single Income Families and Double Income Families. The Society of Korean and Japan Education, 5(1), 189-201.
- B. Lee & K. S. Kim. (2013). The Difference of the Young Children's Play Characteristics and Self-Control According to Father's Involvement in Child-Rearing. The Korean Society for Child Education, 22(3), 191-206.
- K. J. Chung & M. R. Park. (2013). The Relation between Fathers' Participation in Nurturing and Children's Social Morality. The Korean Association of Child Care and Education, 80, 43-64.
- W. H. Kim, B. J. Seo & Y. C. Bae. (2014). A Study on the Effect of Recognition of Paternal Involvement in Child-Rearing on Child-rearing Attitudes in Mothers with Children with Special Needs. Journal of Intellectual Disabilities, 16(2), 355-372.
- S. H. Noh. (2000). A Study on the Influence of the Fathers' Self-Efficacy on the Mothers' Parenting Stress : the Mediation Effect of Parenting Involvement. Korean Journal of Child Education and Care, 14(3), 45-59.
- Y. H. Ahn, S. O. Hong & K. J. Hong. (2016). Relationship of Paternal Participation to Maternal Stress and Happiness in Parents of Disabled Preschoolers. The Korean Association of Child Care and Education, 96, 49-78.
- G. H. Kim & H. S. Kim. (2013). The Relationships between 5 Year-old Preschooler Parent's Social Economic Status and Father's Parenting Involvement and Mother's Parenting Stress. The Korean Society for Child Education, 22(4), 111-129.
- S. M. Lee & H. Y. Min. (2007). The Relationship between Preschooler's Temperament, Father's Child-Rearing Involvement, and Mother's Child-Rearing Stress. Korean Association of Human Ecology, 16(2), 219-225. DOI : 10.5934/kjhe.2007.16.2.219 https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2007.16.2.219
- J. H. Kim, S. Y. Yang & J. H. Sung. (2013). The Effects of Paternal Participation in Child Care and Social Support on Planning for a Second Childbirth, Focusing on the Mediating Effect of Maternal Parenting Stress. Korean Journal of Child Studies, 34(1), 87-102. DOI : 10.5723/kjcs.2013.34.1.87 https://doi.org/10.5723/KJCS.2013.34.1.87
- K. H. Kim & H. K. Kang. (1997). Research : Development of the Parenting Stress Scale. Family and Environment Research, 33(5), 141-150.