- Volume 31 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Alcohol Drinking Patterns and Obesity and Abdominal Obesity in Korean Adult Men
한국 성인 남성의 음주패턴과 비만과의 관련성
- Kim, Bo Young (College of Nursing.Institute of Health Sciences, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Lee, Eun Sook (Department of Nursing, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2017.09.04
- Accepted : 2017.12.13
- Published : 2017.12.31
Purpose: This study was conducted to determine whether alcohol drinking patterns (drinking frequency, drinking quantity, binge drinking frequency and risk drinking) were related to obesity and abdominal obesity. Methods: A total of 6,749 adult men from the sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey were evaluated. Multivariate logistic regression analyses were employed to determine if obesity and abdominal obesity was associated with alcohol consumption patterns after adjusting for covariates. Results: No relationship was observed between drinking frequency and obesity. The odds ratio vs. nondrinkers for obesity was significantly low for individuals who consumed 5 to 6 drinks per typical occasion and monthly binge drinking. However
Supported by : 경남과학기술대학교
- Arif, A. A., & Rohrer, J. E. (2005). Patterns of alcohol drinking and its association with obesity: data from the third national health and nutrition examination survey, 1988-1994. BMC Public Health, 5(1), 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-5-1
- Baek, S. I., & So, W. Y. (2012). Relationship between obesity in Korean adolescents and the frequency of alcohol consumption, the amount of alcohol consumed, and the frequency of severe alcohol intoxication. Obesity Research & Clinical Practice, 6(2), e159-e166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orcp.2011.08.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orcp.2011.08.001
- Breslow, R. A., & Smothers, B. A. (2005). Drinking patterns and body mass index in never smokers: National Health Interview Survey, 1997-2001. American Journal of Epidemiology, 161(4), 368-376. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwi061 https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwi061
- Bush, K. (1998). The AUDIT alcohol consumption questions (AUDIT-C): an effective brief screening test for problem drinking. Archives of Internal Medicine, 158(16), 1789-1795. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.158.16.1789 https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.158.16.1789
- French, M. T., Norton, E. C., Fang, H., & Maclean, J. C. (2010). Alcohol consumption and body weight. Health Economics. 19(7), 814-832. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/hec.1521 https://doi.org/10.1002/hec.1521
- Kim, J. H., & Chun, S. S. (2014). Association between obesity and patterns of alcohol drinking in korea. Korean Public Health Research, 40(1), 99-108.
- Kim, K. B., Ji, C. A., Kim, C. S., Park, H. S., Jeong, T. H., & Kim, M. C. (2008). Lifestyle in relation to increase in weight in korean middle-aged men. Journal of Korean Academic Family Medicine, 29, 102-107.
- Kim, S. J., & Cho, Y. C. (2015). The association of AUDIT Levels with obesity indices, liver function tests, and serum lipid levels in male health checkup examinees. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 16(5), 3230-3242. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.5.3230 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.5.3230
- Koh-Banerjee, P., Chu, N., Spiegelman, D., Rosner, B., Colditz, G., Willett, W., et al. (2003). Prospective study of the association of changes in dietary intake, physical activity, alcohol consumption, and smoking with 9-y gain in waist circumference among 16587 US men. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 78(4), 719-727. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/78.4.719
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC). (2015). The Sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES VI). Retrieved March 20, 2017, from https://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/knhanes/sub03/sub03_06_02.do
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC). (2016). Korea health statistics 2015: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES VI-3). Retrieved March 20, 2017, from https://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/knhanes/sub04/sub04_03.do?classType=7
- Korean Society for the Study of Obesity. (2014). 2014 Clinical practice guidelines for overweight and obesity in Korea. The Korean Journal of Obesity, 23(4), 217-221. https://doi.org/10.7570/kjo.2014.23.4.217 https://doi.org/10.7570/kjo.2014.23.4.217
- Lee, J. H. (2012). Analysis for drinking behavior in korean adults and proposal of screening tool for at-risk drinking: result from the fourth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Lee, K. (2012). Gender-specific relationships between alcohol drinking patterns and metabolic syndrome: The Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2008. Public Health Nutrition, 15(10), 1917-1924. https://doi.org/10.1017/s136898001100365x https://doi.org/10.1017/s136898001100365x
- Lee, S. M., Yoon, Y. D., Baek, J. H., Hyung, K. R., & Kang, H.R. (2015). Assessing the effects of socio-economic impacts of major health risk factors and regulatory policies. Seoul: National Health Insurance Service Health insurance policy research institute.
- Lukasiewicz, E., Mennen, L. I., Bertrais, S., Arnault, N., Preziosi, P., Galan, P., et al. (2005). Alcohol intake in relation to body mass index and waist -to-hip ratio: the importance of type of alcoholic beverage. Public Health Nutrition, 8(3), 315-320. https://doi.org/10.1079/phn 2004680 https://doi.org/10.1079/phn2004680
- Oh, S. W. (2009). Effects of alcohol on obesity and metabolic syndrome. Journal of Obesity & Metabolic Syndrome, 18(1), 1-7.
- Park, K. Y., Park, H. K., & Hwang, H. S. (2017). Relationship between abdominal obesity and alcohol drinking pattern in normal-weight, middle-aged adults: the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2008-2013. Public Health Nutrition, 20(12), 2192-2200. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1368980017001045 https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980017001045
- Ra, J. S., & Kim, H. S. (2015). Combined influence of obesity and metabolic syndrome on ischemic heart disease in korean middle aged and older adults. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 29(3), 540-550. http://dx.doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2015.29.3.540 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2015.29.3.540
- Rehm, J., Room, R., Graham, K., Monteiro, M., Gmel, G., & Sempos, C. T. (2003). The relationship of average volume of alcohol consumption and patterns of drinking to burden of disease: an overview. Addiction, 98(9), 1209-1228. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1360-0443.2003.00467.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1360-0443.2003.00467.x
- Rohrer, J. E., Rohland, B. M., Denison, A., & Way, A. (2005). Frequency of alcohol use and obesity in community medicine patients. BMC Family Practice, 6(1), 1-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2296-6-17 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2296-6-1
- Shelton, N. J. & Knott, C. S. (2014). Association between alcohol calorie intake and overweight and obesity in English adults. American Journal of Public Health, 104(4), 629-631. https://doi.org/10.2105/ajph.2013.301643 https://doi.org/10.2105/ajph.2013.301643
- Sherwood, N. E., Jeffery, R. W., French, S. A., Hannan, P. J., & Murray, D. M. (2000). Predictors of weight gain in the Pound of Prevention Study. International Journal of Obesity, 24(4), 395-403. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0801169 https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0801169
- Tolstrup, J. S., Heitmann, B. L., Tjonneland, A. M., Overvad, O. K., Sorensen, T. I., & Gronbaek, M. N. (2005). The relation between drinking pattern and body mass index and waist and hip circumference. International Journal of Obesity, 29(5), 490-497. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802874 https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802874
- Traversy, G., & Chaput, J-P. (2015). Alcohol consumption and obesity: an update. Current Obesity Reports, 4(1), 122-130. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13679-014-0129-4 https://doi.org/10.1007/s13679-014-0129-4
- Wakabayashi, I. (2010). Cross-sectional relationship between alcohol consumption and prevalence of metabolic syndrome in Japanese men and women. Journal of Atherosclerosis and Thrombosis, 17(7), 695-704. http://dx.doi.org/10.5551/jat.3517 https://doi.org/10.5551/jat.3517
- Wannamethee, S. G., Shaper, A. G., & Whincup, P. H. (2005). Alcohol and adiposity: effects of quantity and type of drink and time relation with meals. International Journal of Obesity, 29(12), 1436-1444. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0803034 https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0803034
- World Health Organization. (WHO). (2014). Global status report on noncommunicable disease, Geneva: World Health Organization.
- Yeomans, M. R. (2010). Alcohol, appetite and energy balance: is alcohol intake a risk factor for obesity? Physiology & Behavior, 100(1), 82-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2010.01.012 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2010.01.012
- Yoon, Y. S., Oh, S. W., Baik, H. W., Park, H. S., & Kim, W. Y. (2004). Alcohol consumption and the metabolic syndrome in Korean adults: the 1998 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 80(1), 217-224. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/80.1.217