- Volume 33 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics of Steamed Bread Containing Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) Peel Powder
석류 껍질 분말을 첨가한 찐빵의 품질특성
- Zhang, Yangyang (Department of Food and Nutrition, Korea University) ;
- Song, Ka-Young (Department of Food and Nutrition, Korea University) ;
- O, Hyeonbin (Department of Food and Nutrition, Korea University) ;
- Joung, Ki Youeng (Department of Food and Nutrition, Korea University) ;
- Shin, So Yeon (Department of Food and Nutrition, Korea University) ;
- Kim, Young-Soon (Department of Food and Nutrition, Korea University)
- 장양양 (고려대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 송가영 (고려대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 오현빈 (고려대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 정기영 (고려대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 신소연 (고려대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 김영순 (고려대학교 식품영양학과)
- Received : 2016.11.07
- Accepted : 2017.01.12
- Published : 2017.02.28
Purpose: Pomegranate has been reported to exhibit medical properties such as antimicrobial, antimutagenic, anticancer, and anti-inflammatory effects. Especially the pomegranate peel as a by-product of the juice industry possesses more polyphenols with an antioxidant effect than the pomegranate flesh does. This study aimed to investigate the effect of the pomegranate peel on the quality characteristics of steamed bread. Methods: Steamed bread containing pomegranate peel was prepared with 0%, 1%, 3%, 5%, and 7% replacements of wheat flour with pomegranate peel powder, respectively. Results: The pH of dough significantly decreased from 5.66 to 4.42 with the amounts of pomegranate peel powder rising. After a 1st fermentation, the pH of all groups decreased. With an increase of the pomegranate peel powder level, the fermentation tension decreased from 42.83 mL to 29.03 mL. In addition, the volume, the specific volume, and moisture decreased as the pomegranate peel powder content level heightened. For color, steamed bread added with 7% pomegranate peel powder displayed low lightness but high redness and yellowness. In texture analysis, hardness and chewiness of the steamed bread rose as the pomegranate peel powder content increased, while the springiness and cohesiveness declined. Both total polyphenol and DPPH radical scavenging activity significantly increased with growing levels of pomegranate peel powder. In a sensory evaluation, the group with 1% pomegranate peel powder added showed the highest sensory preference scores for color, flavor, chewiness, taste, and overall acceptability. Conclusion: The results of this study suggest that steamed bread prepared with the addition of 1% pomegranate peel powder is the most optimal product for appropriate quality characteristics.
Akay S, Alpak I, Yesil-Celiktas O. 2011. Effects of process parameters on supercritical
$CO_2$extraction of total phenols from strawberry (Arbutus unedo L.) fruits: An optimization study. J Sep Sci 34(15):1925-1931. https://doi.org/10.1002/jssc.201100361
- Altunkaya A, Hedegaard RV, Brimer L, Gokmen V, Skibsted LH. 2013. Antioxidant capacity versus chemical safety of wheat bread enriched with pomegranate peel powder. Food Funct 4(5):722-727. https://doi.org/10.1039/c3fo30296b
- Bae JH, Lee JH, Kwon KI, Im MH, Park GS, Lee JG, Choi HJ, Jeong SY. 2005. Quality characteristics of the white bread prepared by addition of jujube extracts. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37(4):603-610.
- Cho BY, Choi SH, Kim TS, Park YE, Kim JM, Choi SI, Jung TD, Oh JW, Lee JH, Hong JM, Lee OH. 2016. Quality characteristics of factory-style and handmade-style steamed bread. J Agric Life Environ Sci 28(1):20-24.
- Choi DM, Chung SK, Lee DS. 2007. Shelf life extension of steamed bread by the addition of fermented pine needle extract syrup as an ingredient. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 36(5):616-621. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.5.616
- Choi JE, Lee JH. 2015. Selected physicochemical and consumer preference characteristics of Baikseolgi with pomegranate concentrate. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 44(1):160-164. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.1.160
- Choi SN, Joo MK, Chung NY. 2014. Quality characteristics of bread added with stevia leaf powder. Korean J Food Cook Sci 30(4):419-427. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2014.30.4.419
- Corsetti A, Gobbetti M, Balestrieri F, Paoletti F, Russi L, Rossi J. 1998. Sourdough lactic acid bacteria effects on bread firmness and stalin. J Food Sci 63(2):347-351.
- Gautam R, Sharma SC. 2012. Effect of Punica granatum Linn. (peel) on blood glucose level in normal and alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Res J Pharm Technol 5(2):226-227.
- Hwang SY, Oh KJ, Kang KO. 2014. Study on the quality characteristics of steamed bread using bamboo and lotus leaf powder. Korean J Food Cult 29(3):298-306. https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2014.29.3.298
- Hwang YK, Hyun YH, Lee YS. 2004. Study on the characteristics of bread with jasmin tea powder. Korean J Food Nutr 17(1):41-46.
- Im JS, Lee YT. 2010. Quality characteristics of rice bread substituted with black rice flour. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 20(6):903-908.
- Iqbal S, Haleem S, Akhtar M, Zia-ul-Haq M, Akbar J. 2008. Efficiency of pomegranate peel extracts in stabilization of sunflower oil under accelerated conditions. Food Res Int 41(2):194-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2007.11.005
- Ismail T, Sestili P, Akhtar S. 2012. Pomegranate peel and fruit extracts: A review of potential anti-inflammatory and anti-infective effects. J Ethnopharmacol 143(2):397-405. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2012.07.004
- Jeon KS, Lee NH, Park SI. 2015. Quality characteristics of white pan bread with chinese artichoke (Stachys sieboldii MIQ) powder. Korean J Culin Res 21(4):1-15.
- Jeon TG, An HL, Lee KS. 2010. Quality characteristics of bread added with turmeric powder. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 20(1):113-121.
- Jeon YS, Kim MW. 2010. Quality characteristics of white pan bread added with Sunsik powder. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 20(2):299-306.
- Jin SY. 2011. Study on antioxidant activities of extracts from different parts of Korean and Iranian pomegranates. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40(8):1063-1072. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.8.1063
- Kanatt SR, Chander R, Sharma A. 2010. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of pomegranate peel extract improves the shelf life of chicken products. Int J Food Sci Technol 45(2):216-222. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2009.02124.x
- Kang SW, Lee BG. 2004. Rheological properties of dough qualities of functional bread flour added with Chungpesagan-tang extracts & re-procurement attitude. Korean J Culin Res 10(4):165-177.
- Kang WW, Kim GY, Kim JK, Oh SL. 2000. Quality characteristics of the bread added persimmon leaves powder. Korean J Soc Food Sci 16(4):336-341.
- Kim CS, Hwang CM, Song YS, Kim HI, Chung DJ, Han JH. 2001. Commercial wheat flour quality and bread making conditions for Korean-style steamed bread. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30(6):1120-1128.
- Kim JH, Kim SJ, Yun JM. 2014. The study of antioxidant properties, and physicochemical and sensory characteristics of steamed barley bread added with ramie leaf. Korean J Food Nutr 27(2):249-255. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2014.27.2.249
- Kim MA, Lee EJ, Jin SY. 2014. Quality characteristics and antioxidant activities of bread added with Cedrela sinensis powder. Korean J Food Cult 29(1):111-118. https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2014.29.1.111
- Kim MS, Yun SH, Na HS, Park HJ, Choi GC, Yang SI, Lee JH. 2013. Chemical compositions and functional characteristics of Korean and imported pomegranate (Punica granatum L.). Korean J Food Preserv 20(3):342-347. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2013.20.3.342
- Kim YJ, Jeong JS, Kim EH, Son BG, Go GB. 2016. Quality of white bread containing Aster yomena powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 45(1):91-99. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.1.091
- Kim YS, Chun SS, Jung ST, Kim RY. 2002. Effects of lotus root powder on the quality of dough. Korean J Soc Food Cook Sci 18(6):573-578.
- Kwon YJ, Kim HJ. 2016. Quality characteristics of white pan bread containing heat treated silkworm steam extract. FoodServ Ind J 12(1):87-97. https://doi.org/10.22509/kfsa.2016.12.1.009
- Lansky EP, Newman RA. 2007. Punica granatum (pomegranate) and its potential for prevention and treatment of inflammation and cancer. J Ethnopharmacol 109(2):177-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2006.09.006
- Lee EJ, Ju HW, Lee KS. 2012. Quality characteristics of pan bread added with citrus mandarin peel powder. Korean J Culin Res 18(1):27-39.
- Lee EJ, Ju HW. 2016. Quality characteristics of bread added with beet powder. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 26(1):55-62. https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2016.2.26.1.55
- Lee KW, Lee SH. 2014. Tourism development plan linked to Gohung's pomegranate industry. Northeast Asia Tour Res 10(3):137-154.
- Lee YW, Shin DH. 2001. Bread properties utilizing extracts of mume. Korean J Food Nutr 14(4):305-310.
- Li Y, Guo C, Yang J, Wei J, Xu J, Cheng S. 2006. Evaluation of antioxidant properties of pomegranate peel extract in comparison with pomegranate pulp extract. Food Chem 96(2):254-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.02.033
- Min SH, Lee BR. 2008. Effect of Astragalus membranaceus powder on yeast bread baking quality. Korean J Food Cult 23(2):228-234.
- Moon HK, Han JH, Kim JH, Kim JK, Kang WW, Kim GY. 2004. Quality characteristics of the breads added with freeze dried old pummkin powders. Korean J Soc Food Cook Sci 20(2):126-132.
- Oh YK, Kim CS, Chang DJ. 2002. Optimization of steamed bread making with addition of green tea powder using response surface methodology. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 31(3):451-459. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.3.451
- Panichayupakaranant P, Tewtrakul S, Yuenyongsawad S. 2010. Antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic activities of standardised pomegranate rind extract. Food Chem 123(2):400-403. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2010.04.054
- Shin SR, Shin S, Shin GM. 2008. Quality characteristics of white pan bread by pomegranate with added pomegranate powder. Korean J Food Nutr 21(4):492-498.
- Sim SY, Aziah AN, Cheng LH. 2011. Characteristics of wheat dough and Chinese steamed bread added with sodium alginates or konjac glucomannan. Food Hydrocoll 25(5):951-957. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2010.09.009
Sun JP, Wang AN, Wu LG, Sun ZH, Yang YJ, Ding XZ, Zhang M, Qu LB. 2016. Effects of hydrophilic colloid and
$\alpha$-amylase on the quality of steamed bread in cold storage period. Cereal Feed Ind 1(1):27-30.
- Wang J, He XY, Du XF, Cheng LL. 2011. Preparation and principal component analysis of mechanical properties of black rice steamed bread. Food Mach 27(3):19-21.
- Wang KJ, Zhang YJ, Yang CR. 2005. Antioxidant phenolic compounds from rhizomes of Polygonum paleaceum. J Ethnopharmacol 96(3):483-487. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2004.09.036
- Wu C, Liu R, Huang W, Rayas-Duarte P, Wang F, Yao Y. 2012. Effect of sourdough fermentation on the quality of Chinese Northern-style steamed breads. J Cereal Sci 56(2):127-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcs.2012.03.007
- Wu P, Cui T, Wang C, Zhou T, Shan C, Zhang X, Dong Y. 2016. Analysis of volatile compounds of purple waxy flour and common steamed bread by headspace solid-phase microextraction coupled with gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Chin Cereals Oils Assoc 31(1):127-132.
- Yeom KH, Bing DJ, Kim MY, Chun SS. 2016. Effects of hemicellulase on white bread added with brown rice fiber. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 45(3):352-359. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.3.352
- Yoon HS, Kim JW, Kim SH, Kim YG, Eom HJ. 2014. Quality characteristics of bread added with aronia powder (Aronia melanocarpa). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 43(2):273-280. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.2.273
- Zhang M, Mu TH, Han JJ. 2016. Effects of sweet potato dietary fiber on the quality and aging of steamed bread. J Jiangsu Normal Univ (Nat Sci Ed) 34(4):20-24.