- Volume 8 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial on the Effects of Technology-aided Testing and Feedback on Physical Activity and Biological Age Among Employees in a Medium-sized Enterprise
- Liukkonen, Mika (University of Tampere) ;
- Nygard, Clas-Hakan (University of Tampere) ;
- Laukkanen, Raija (University of Oulu)
- Received : 2016.03.30
- Accepted : 2017.03.01
- Published : 2017.12.30
Background: It has been suggested that engaging technology can empower individuals to be more proactive about their health and reduce their health risks. The aim of the present intervention was to study the effects of technology-aided testing and feedback on physical activity and biological age of employees in a middle-sized enterprise. Methods: In all, 121 employees (mean age
- Kramer M, Molenar D, Arena V, Kriska A. Improving employee health: evaluation of a worksite lifestyle change program to decrease risk factors for diabetes and cardiovascular disease. J Occup Environ Med 2015;57: 284-91. https://doi.org/10.1097/JOM.0000000000000350
- Scoggins JF, Sakumoto KN, Schaefer KS, Bascom B, Robbins DJ, Whalen CL. Short-term and long-term weight management results of a large employersponsored wellness program. J Occup Environ Med 2011;53:1215-20. https://doi.org/10.1097/JOM.0b013e3182338676
- Freak-Poli RL, Wolfe R, Walls H, Backholer K, Peeters A. Participant characteristics associated with greater reductions in waist circumference during a four-month, pedometer-based, workplace health program. BMC Public Health 2011;25:824.
- Merrill RM, Anderson A, Thygerson SM. Effectiveness of a worksite wellness program on health behaviors and personal health. J Occup Environ Med 2011;53:1008-12. https://doi.org/10.1097/JOM.0b013e3182281145
- Merrill RM. A small business worksite wellness model for improving health behaviors. J Occup Environ Med 2013;55:895-900. https://doi.org/10.1097/JOM.0b013e31826eef83
- Tveito TH, Eriksen HR. Integrated health programme: a workplace randomized controlled trial. J Adv Nurs 2009;65:110-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04846.x
- White J, Hartley S, Ozminkowski R. Association between corporate wellness program participation and changes in health risks. J Occup Environ Med 2015;57:1119-26. https://doi.org/10.1097/JOM.0000000000000531
- Harding J, Freak-Poli RL, Backholer K, Peeters A. Change in health-related quality of life amongst participants in a 4-month pedometer-based workplace health program. J Phys Act Health 2013;10:533-43. https://doi.org/10.1123/jpah.10.4.533
- McCoy K, Stinson K, Scott K, Tenney L, Newman L. Health promotion in small business: a systematic review of factors influencing adoption and effectiveness of worksite wellness programs. J Occup Environ Med 2014;56: 579-87. https://doi.org/10.1097/JOM.0000000000000171
- Fanning J, Mullen SP, McAuley E. Increasing physical activity with mobile devices: a meta-analysis. J Med Internet Res 2012;21:161.
- Schroer S, Haupt J, Pieper C. Evidence-based lifestyle interventions in the workplacedan overview. Occup Med (Lond) 2014;64:8-12. https://doi.org/10.1093/occmed/kqt136
- Osilla KC, Van Busum K, Schnyer C, Larkin JW, Eibner C, Mattke S. Systematic review of the impact of worksite wellness programs. Am J Manag Care 2012;18:68-81.
- Reijonsaari K, Vehtari A, Kahilakoski OP, van Mechelen W, Aro T, Taimela S. The effectiveness of physical activity monitoring and distance counseling in an occupational settingdresults from a randomized controlled trial (CoAct). BMC Public Health 2012;12:344. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-12-344
- Loeppke R, Edington D, Bender J, Reynolds A. The association of technology in a work place wellness program with health risk factor reduction. J Occup Environ Med 2013;55:259-64. https://doi.org/10.1097/JOM.0b013e3182898639
- Laukkanen R, Collins J, Schroderus J. Polar Body Age: scientific background and content in Polar Own Test system. White paper. Kempele (Finland): Polar Electro Inc.; November 2011.
- Jee H, Jeon BH, Kim YH, Kim HK, Choe J, Park J, Jin Y. Development and application of biological age prediction models with physical fitness and physiological components in Korean adults. Gerontology 2012;58:344-53. https://doi.org/10.1159/000335738
- Karasik D, Demissie S, Cupples LA, Kiel DP. Disentangling the genetic determinants of human aging: biological age as an alternative to the use of survival measures. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2005;60:574-87. https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/60.5.574
- Shvartz E, Reibold RC. Aerobic fitness norms for males and females aged 6 to 75 years: a review. Aviat Space Environ Med 1990;61:3-11.
- McEachan RR, Lawton RJ, Jackson C, Conner M, Meads DM,West RM. Testing a workplace physical activity intervention: a cluster randomized controlled trial. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 2011;8:29. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-8-29
- Lee PH, Macfarlane DJ, Lam TH, Stewart SM. Validity of the International Physical Activity Questionnaire Short Form (IPAQ-SF): a systematic review. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 2011;21:115.