- Volume 54 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Crystal Structure, Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of NbN Coatings Deposited by Asymmetric Bipolar Pulsed DC Sputtering
- Chun, Sung-Yong (Department of Advanced Materials Science and Engineering, Mokpo National University) ;
- Im, Hyun-Ho (Department of Advanced Materials Science and Engineering, Mokpo National University)
- Received : 2016.08.17
- Accepted : 2016.10.04
- Published : 2017.01.31
Single phase niobium nitride (NbN) coatings were deposited using asymmetric bipolar pulsed dc sputtering by varying pulse frequency and duty cycle of pulsed plasmas. Crystal structure, microstructure, morphology and mechanical properties were examined using XRD, FE-SEM, AFM and nanoindentation. Upon increasing pulse frequencies and decreasing duty cycles, the coating morphology was changed from a pyramidal-shaped columnar structure to a round-shaped dense structure with finer grains. Asymmetric bipolar pulsed dc sputtered NbN coatings deposited at pulse frequency of 25 kHz is characterized by higher hardness up to 17.4 GPa, elastic modulus up to 193.9 GPa, residual compressive stress and a smaller grain size down to 27.5 nm compared with dc sputtered NbN coatings at pulse frequency of 0 kHz. The results suggest that the asymmetric bipolar pulsed dc sputtering technique is very beneficial to reactive deposition of transition-metal nitrides such as NbN coatings.
Supported by : Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy of Republic of Korea
- S. Y. Chun and J. Y. Hwang, "Effect of Duty Cycle and Pulse Frequency on the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of TiAlN Coatings," J. Korean Ceram. Soc., 51  447-52 (2014). https://doi.org/10.4191/kcers.2014.51.5.447
- Y. Gotoh, M. Nagao, and T. Ura, "Ion Beam Assisted Deposition of Niobium Nitride Thin Films for Vacuum Microelectronics Devices," Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. B, 148  925-29 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-583X(98)00679-X
- R. D. Arnell and P. J. Kelly, "Recent Advances in Magnetron Sputtering," Surf. Coat. Technol., 112  170-76 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0257-8972(98)00749-X
- D. S. Stone, J. Migas, A. Martini, T. Smith, C. Muratore, A. A. Voevodin, and S. M. Aouadi, "Adaptive NbN/Ag Coatings for High Temperature Tribological Applications," Surf. Coat. Technol., 206  4316-21 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2012.04.054
- S. K. Kim, B. C. Cha, and J. S. Yoo, "Deposition of NbN Thin Films by DC Magnetron Sputtering Process," Surf. Coat. Technol., 177  434-40 (2004).
- Y. Y. Yang, K. H. Kim, S. M. Lee, S. W. Kim, H. T. Kim, K. J. Kim, D. S. Lim, and S. K. Oh, "Microstructure and Wear Resistance of Ti-me-N (Me=V, Nb and Si) Nano Films Prepared by Hybrid PVD," J. Kor. Inst. Surf. Eng., 4  95-104 (2011).
- A. Bendavid, P. J. Martin, and E. W. Preston "The Deposition of NbN and NbC Thin Films by Filtered Vacuum Cathodic Arc Deposition," Surf. Coat. Technol., 163 347-52 (2003).
- D. H. Seo and S. Y. Chun, "A Comparative Study of CrN Coatings Deposited by DC and Inductively Coupled Plasma Magnetron Sputtering," J. Kor. Inst. Surf. Eng., 45  123- 29 (2012). https://doi.org/10.5695/JKISE.2012.45.3.123
K. S. Nam, J. I. Moon, P. Kongsy, J. H. Song, and D. Y. Lim, "Influence of the Duty Cycle on the Characteristics of
$Al_2O_3$Coatings Formed on the Al-1050 by Plasma Electrolytic Oxidation," J. Korean Ceram. Soc., 50  108-18 (2013).
- V. N. Zhitomirsky, I. Grimberg, L. Rapoport, N. A. Travitzkyd, R. L. Boxmana, S. Goldsmith, A. Raihel, I. Lapsker, and B. Z. Weiss, "Structure and Mechanical Properties of Vacuum Arc-Deposited NbN Coatings," Thin Solid Films, 326  134-42 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0040-6090(98)00544-6
- S. Wang, Y. Xia, L. Zhang, H. Guang, M. Shen, and F. Zhang, "Effect of NbN and ZrN Films Formed by Magnetron Sputtering on Ti and Porcelain Bonding," Surf. Coat. Technol., 205  1886-91 (2010).
- S. Jun, J. Kim, S. Kim, Y. You, and B. Cha, "Characteristics of NbN Films Deposited on AISI 304 Using Inductively Coupled Plasma Assisted DC Magnetron Sputtering Method," J. Kor. Inst. Surf. Eng., 46  187-91 (2013). https://doi.org/10.5695/JKISE.2013.46.5.187
- G. Abadias, "Stress and Preferred Orientation in Nitridebased PVD Coatings," Surf. Coat. Tech., 202  2223-35 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2007.08.029
H. M. Choi and S. K. Choi, "Residual Stress and Growth Orientation in
$Y_2O_3$Thin Films Deposited by Reactive Sputtering," J. Korean Ceram. Soc., 32  950-56 (1995).
- S. N. Chvalun, J. Blackwell, J. D. Cho, Y. K. Kwon, V. Percec, and J. A. Heck "X-ray Analysis of the Internal Rearrangement of the Self-Assembling Columnar Structure Formed by a Highly Tapered molecule," Surf. Coat. Technol., 39 4515-22 (1998).
- S. W. Park and S. Y. Chun "A Comparative Study of CrN Coatings Deposited by DC and Pulsed DC Asymmetric Bipolar Sputtering for a Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell Metallic Bipolar Plate," J. Korean Ceram. Soc., 50  390-95 (2013). https://doi.org/10.4191/kcers.2013.50.6.390
- D. Cullity and S. R. Stock, Element of X-ray Diffraction; pp. 167, Pearson Education Limited, London, 2014.
- S. M. Ko, S. M. Koo, J. H. Kim, W. S. Cho, and K. T. Hwang "Synthesis of Silicon Carbide Nano-Powder from a Silicon- Organic Precursor by RF Inductive Thermal Plasma," J. Korean Ceram. Soc., 49  523-27 (2012). https://doi.org/10.4191/kcers.2012.49.6.523
- S. Y. Chun and T. Y. Lee "A Comparative Study of TiAlN Coatings Deposited by DC and Pulsed DC Asymmetric Bipolar Magnetron Sputtering," J. Kor. Inst. Surf. Eng., 47  168-73 (2014). https://doi.org/10.5695/JKISE.2014.47.4.168
- J. Lin, I. Dahan, B. Valderrama, and M. V. Manuel, "Structure and Properties of Uranium Oxide Thin Films Deposited by Pulsed DC Magnetron Sputtering," Surf. Coat. Technol., 301  475-80 (2014).
- A. A. Elmustafa and D. S. Stone, "Nanoindentation and the Indentation Size Effect: Kinetics of Deformation and Strain Gradient Plasticity," J. Mech. Phys. Sol., 51 357-81 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5096(02)00033-9
- M. Wang, D. Wang, T. Kups, and P. Schaaf, "Size Effect on Mechanical Behavior of Al/Si3N4 Multilayers by Nanoindentation," Mater. Sci. Eng., A, 644 275-83 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2015.07.071