- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The mediating effect of decision making ability on the relationship between courage and happiness in young children
유아의 용기와 행복감 간의 관계 분석 및 의사결정력의 매개효과
- Won, Myung-Soon (Division of Early Childhood Education, Seojeong college)
- 원명순 (서정대학교 유아교육과)
- Received : 2017.01.05
- Accepted : 2017.02.03
- Published : 2017.02.28
This study examined the effects of courage on happiness and the mediating effects of the decision making ability on the relationship between courage and happiness. The courage Inventory for Young Children (Park & Lee, 2011), The Children's decision making ability Scale (Park, 2012) and the happiness Questionnaire (Kim, 2008) were administered to 220 young children (112 boys, 108 girls, 5 year of age). The collected data were analyzed by descriptive statistics, Pearson's correlation analysis, multiple regression analysis, and a sobel test using the computer program, SPSS/PC 21.0. The results were as follows. First, there were significant positive relationships among courage, decision making ability, and happiness. Second, courage was an important factor in predicting the happiness of young children, and the decision making ability had mediating effects on the relationship between courage and happiness.
- E. Linda, & E. Richard, Teaching your children values. Seoul: Hanullim. 2005.
- C. O. Park, & E. Y. Lee. A Study on Development of Young Children's Courage Scale for Teachers. Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, 16(3), 1-21, 2011.
- S. J. Lopez, & C. R. Snyder. Positive psychological assessment : a handbook of models and measures. Seoul: Hakjisa. 2008.
- R. B. Diener. The courage quotient : how science can make you braver. Seoul: Hanbitbiz, 2013.
- J. S. Cougle. An examination of courage behavioral in a laboratory setting. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, The University of Texas at Austin, TX. 2008.
- K. H. Moon. The influence of young children's courage and happiness on leadership. Department of Early Childhood Education The Graduate School Gangeungwonju National University, 2014.
- S. M. Choe, M. S. Choi. A Structural Relationship between Young Children's Happiness and its Variables: Temperament, Parenting Efficacy and Ego-Resilience. Early Childhood Education Research & Review, 20(4), 315-336, 2016.
- M. J. Park, M. J. Kim. Structural Relationships among Peer Competence, Self-esteem, Teacher-child Relationship and Happiness of Young Children. Early Childhood Education Research & Review, 20(1), 217-240, 2016.
- J. E. Park. A preliminary study on the determinants of happiness among preschool children. The Korean Journal of Child Education, 25(3), 76-94, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17643/kjce.2016.25.3.05
- J. H. Shin, H. S. Choi, An analysis of trends in studies relating to early childhood happiness, Korean Journal of Early Childhood Education, 34(1), 5-28, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18023/kjece.2014.34.1.001
- H. I. Hwang, M. J. Kim, J. H. Tak, A study of five-year-old children's happiness as measured by the cognition of being happy and the condition of happiness, The Journal of Eco-Early Childhood Education, 12(4), 93-122, 2013.
- S. A. Ha. Differences in Happiness Depending upon Children's Emotional Intelligence and Peer Competence. Department of Early Childhood Education The Graduate School Sookmyung University, 2013.
- C. H. Shin. The Influence of Leadership Life Skill upon Adolescent Happiness, Department of Early Childhood Education The Graduate School Chodang University, 2013.
- S. N. Kim. The influence of the forest-experience -activities on young children's happiness, self-esteem and creativity, Department of Early Childhood Education The Graduate School Pusan University, 2013.
- B. H. Jin. The Effect on Young Children's Happiness and Sociality from the Nature-Friendly Experience of Forest, Department of Early Childhood Education The Graduate School Gwangju University, 2013.
- Y. S. Hyun. The Effect of Free Play in Forest on Young Children's Happiness, Department of Early Childhood Education The Graduate School Incheon National University, 2014.
- J. Y. Park. Development and validation of a decision making ability test for young children, Department of Early Childhood Education The Graduate School Chonnam National University, 2012.
- E. S. Yang. The Significance of Choice in Free-Choice Activities, Korean Journal of Early Childhood Education, 23(3), 131-152, 2003.
- Y. H. Jang. A problem in decision-making instruction and a significance of a model of public-mindedness, Theory and Research in Citizenship Education, 38(2), 137-160, 2006.
- J. E. Johnson, J. F. Christie, F. Wardle. Play, development, and early education, Seoul: Academy press, 2006.
- E. A. Petersen. Free-choice time is a must, Children and Families, 16(3), 10-12, 1997.
- J. H. Lee. Development of happiness inventory for children, Department of Early Childhood Education The Graduate School Kongju University, 2005.
- D. L. Kim. The Relationship between Children and Parents' Happiness, Department of Early Childhood Education The Graduate School Konkuk University, 2008.
- R. B. Kline. Principles and practice of structural equation modeling (3rd ed.), New York : The Guilford Press, 2011.
- S. J. Park. Happy memory, Bestbaby, http://www.smlounge.co.kr/best.2013.
- A. Bandura. Social Foundation of Thought and Action: A Social Cognitive Theory, Englewood cliff, NJ: Prentice-Ha, 1997.
- M. J. Kim. The Mediating Effect of Self-Acceptance on the Relation between Character Strengths and Happiness, Department of Early Childhood Education The Graduate School Myongji University, 2011.
- K. S. Cho, K. W. Nam. The Relationship between the Happiness and the Ego-resilience of Young Children, Early Childhood Education Research & Review, 15(4), 161-178, 2011.
- M. J. Kim. The Effect of Optimism on Psychological Well-Being : Cognitive Emotion Regulation Strategies and Social Support as a Mediating Variable, Department of Early Childhood Education The Graduate School Catholic University, 2006.
- C. S. Hyun.The Mediating Effects of Social Support and Empowerment on the Relationship Between Emotional Regulation and Happiness, Department of Early Childhood Education The Graduate School Hongik University, 2011.