- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Empathy Evaluation Method Using Micro-movement
인체 미동을 이용한 공감도 평가 방법
- Hwang, Sung Teac (Department of Emotion Engineering, Sangmyung University) ;
- Park, SangIn (Department of Emotion Engineering, Sangmyung University) ;
- Won, Myoung Ju (Department of Emotion Engineering, Sangmyung University) ;
- Whang, Mincheol (Department of Media Software, Sangmyung University)
- Received : 2016.02.24
- Accepted : 2016.11.18
- Published : 2017.03.31
The goal of this study is to present quantification method for empathy. The micro-movement technology (non-contact sensing method) was used to identify empathy level. Participants were first divided into two groups: Empathized and not empathized. Then, the upper body data of participants were collected utilizing web-cam when participants carried expression tasks. The data were analyzed and categorized into 0.5 Hz, 1 Hz, 3 Hz, 5 Hz, 15 Hz. The average movement, variation, and synchronization of the movement were then compared. The results showed a low average movement and variation in a group who empathized. Also, the participants, who empathized, synchronized their movement during the task. This indicates that the people concentrates with each other when empathy has been established and show different levels of movement. These findings suggest the possibility of empathy quantification using non-contact sensing method.
Grant : 실감교류 인체감응솔루션, 융.복합 콘텐츠 Social 감성인지와 Social Intelligence 모델 활용 Life Logging 기반 기술 개발
Supported by : 한국연구재단, 정보통신기술진흥센터
- Bae, Y. (2005). Social Relations in Cyberspace-Focused on the Making and Maintenance of Relation with Personal Media. Korean Journal of Sociology, 39(5), 55-82.
- Cha, Y. S., Kim, J. H., Kim, J. H., Kim, S. Y., Kim, D. K., & Whang, M. (2012). Validity analysis of the social emotion model based on relation types in SNS. Science of Emotion and Sensibility, 15(2), 283-296.
- Kim, Y. J. (2010). Motivation to use according to the relationship formation of social network service : focusing on Twitter and Me2DAY. Unpublished Master's thesis, Hongik University.
- Kim, M. J. & Choi, Y. G. (2012). The Role of Twitter on Online and Offline Relationship Formation. Korean Journal of Broadcasting and Telecommunication Studies, 26(1), 43-82.
- Kim, Y. J. (2009). A Study of Online Relationship. Korean Journal of Broadcasting and Telecommunication Studies, 23(5), 45-82.
- Lee, T. K. & Chung, W. H. (2006). Vestibular Influences on Autonomic Regulation. Journal of the Korean Balance Society 5(2), 329-335.
- Lee, E. C., Whang, M., Ko, D., Park, S., & Hwang, S. T. (2014). A New Social Emotion Estimating Method by Measuring Micro-movement of Human Bust. In Industrial Applications of Affective Engineering, 19-26.
- Park, J. H. (2008). Exploring Factors Influencing Users' Continuance Intention in Social Networking Sites. Journal of the Korean Society for Information Management, 25(4), 205-226. https://doi.org/10.3743/KOSIM.2008.25.4.205
- Poh, M. Z., McDuff, D. J., & Picard, R. W. (2010). Non-contact, automated cardiac pulse measurements using video imaging and blind source separation. Optics express, 18(10), 10762-10774. https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.18.010762
- Won, M. J., Park, S., Kim, C. J., Lee, E. C., & Whang, M. C. (2012). A Study on Evaluation of Visual Factor for Measuring Subjective Virtual Realization. Science of Emotion and Sensibility, 15(3), 389-398.
- Whang, M. C., Kim, J. H., Mun, S. C., & Park, S. (2011). Emotion modeling and recognition technology. Journal of Korea Robotics Society, 8(4), 34-44.
- Wu, H. Y., Rubinstein, M., Shih, E., Guttag, J. V., Durand, F., & Freeman, W. T. (2012). Eulerian video magnification for revealing subtle changes in the world. ACM Transactions on Graphics, 31(4), 1-8.