- Volume 34 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Nonstructural Scoliosis Treated with Foot Orthosis: Three Clinical Cases Report -2 Cases Treated with Only Foot Orthosis, 1 Case Treated with Foot Orthosis and Korean Medicine Therapy
족부 보조기를 통해 비구조적 척추 측만증을 치료한 3례 -2례는 족부 보조기만으로, 1례는 족부 보조기와 한의학적 치료법을 병행함
- Yang, Mi-Sung (Department of Oriental Rehabilitation Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Dongshin University) ;
- Park, Soo-Yeon (Department of Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology and Dermatology, College of Korean Medicine, Dongshin University)
- Received : 2017.05.29
- Accepted : 2017.06.19
- Published : 2017.06.27
Objectives : The objective of this study is to report the effect of foot orthosis on by observing 3 clinical case studies. Methods and Results : We investigated for the changes in Cobb's angle and pelvic height by using the standing full X-ray. After application of foot orthosis, Cobb's angle and pelvic height was reduced in cases. We treated 2 cases with only Foot Orthosis, 1 case with Foot Orthosis and Korean Medicine therapy. Conclusions : This study showed that foot orthosis can be effective way on nonstructural scoliosis and statistics study should be followed.
- Society of Oriental Rehabilitation Medicine. Oriental Rehabilitation Medicine. Seoul: Koonja pub. 2015 : 77-8.
- Stephen I. Esses. Textbook of Spinal Disorder. Seoul:Koonja pub. 2008 : 260-79.
- Jo JY. Adult Idiopathic Scoliosis Treated by Acupuncture : A case report. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2012 ; 7(1) : 21-5.
- Kim Y, Park JM, Yun MS, Kim SY, Sin JS. A Clinical Case Study on Cobb's angle Decrease through Chuna therapy with Scoliosis Patient. Journal of Oriental Rehabilitation Medicine. 2004 ; 14(1) : 143-7.
- Shin YI, Yang KY, Hong KE, Lee H, Lee BR. Clinical Study on Idiopathic Scoliosis with Massotherapy. Journal of Korean acupuncture & moxibustion medicine society. 2001 ; 18(6) : 27-34.
- Lee YS, Lee SR. Applying Hyun-Ga therapy through isometric exercise on meridian pathways for the Treatment of Idiopathic scoliosis. Korean Journal of Acupuncture. 2009 ; 26(4) : 89-105.
- Yeom DS, Song YK, Lim HH. A Study of Exercise treatment based on Schroth method of Idiopathic Scoliosis. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2010 ; 5(2) : 181-91.
- Chae SW, Park KY, Kim YS. The Effects of functional foot orthotics on the balance according to Foot Shape. Journal of Rehabilitation Welfare Engineering & Assistive Technology. 2011 ; 5(1) : 47-52.
- Bart VG, Howard JD. Changes in plantar foot pressure with in-sole varus or valgus wedging. J Am pod Med Assoc. 2004 ; 94 : 1-11. https://doi.org/10.7547/87507315-94-1-1
- Danaberg HJ, Guiliano M. Chronic low-back pain and its response to custom made foot orthosis. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 1999 ; 89 : 109-17. https://doi.org/10.7547/87507315-89-3-109
- Deborah AS, Deirard RD. Customized heel pain and plantar fasciitis. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003 ; 84 : 1564-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(03)00363-0
- Park DS. A Comparison of Gait According to the Primary Symptomatic Foot Area and The Effects of Foot Orthotics with Specialized Shoe in Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients with Foot Complaints on Pain and Gait. Graduate school of Physical Therapy of Sahmyook University. Doctor Of Physical Therapy. 2009.6.
- Hwang KP. The Effects of Wearing Foot Orthotics and Lumbar Stabilization Exercises on Chronic Low Back Pain. Graduate school of Public Health of Catholic University. Master Of Public Health. 2015.8.
- HB Ahn, SJ Kim, SH Jeong. The Application of Foot Orthotic to Chronic Pain Patient with Pelvic Obliquity: 4 Cases Report. Journal of Oriental Rehabilitation Medicine. 2011 ; 21(2) : 309-18.
- Yoram F, Joseph W, Shay S, Reuven G. Attenuation of spinal transients at heel strike using viscoelastic heel insole: an in vivo study. Prev Med. 2004 ; 39 : 351-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2004.01.030
- Park JW, Kim SJ, Jeong SH. Juvenile, Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis Treated with Chuna Manipulation and Foot Orthosis Treatment: Four Clinical Cases Report. Journal of Oriental Rehabilitation Medicine. 2013 ; 23(1) : 65-75.
- Yun YS, Kang JY, Yoon SB, Choi JS, Choi JL, You GB, et al. Effect of the Foot Orthosis for Children Scoliosis Caused by Inequality of Resting Calcaneal Stance Position Angle. Journal of Korean Academy of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2010 ; 34(1) : 66-73.
- Kim DH, Ryu SJ, Kim EJ, Jo YY, Lee SH, Kang EY. The Effect of Foot Orthosis on Spinal Curvature by Correction of Foot Pronation and Limb Length Discrepancy. Journal of Korean Academy of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2006 ; 30(4) : 392-7.
- Kim YM, Kim DS, Choi ES, Shon HC, Park KJ, Kim YS. The Effect of Shoe Lift on Lumbar Scoliosis Associated with Pelvic Obliquity. Journal of Korean Spine Surg. 2004 ; 11(2) : 104-12. https://doi.org/10.4184/jkss.2004.11.2.104
- Lee MK, Lee GJ, Song YK, Lim HH. Review on Conservative Treatment of Spinal Scoliosis. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2009 ; 4(1) : 103-17.
- Bang SP, Kim SP, Kim JW, Ryu HS, Chun HS, Ryu MS, et al. A Case Study of Scoliosis with Sciatic Pain Patient Treated by Korean Medicine and Shoe Lift. The Journal of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2010 ; 27(5) : 135-43.
- Park SB, Lee KD, Kim DW, Yoo JH, Kim KH. Comparative Analysis of Foot Pressure Distribution by Functional Insole to be Transformed and Restored During Walking Korean journal of sport biomechanics. 2011 ; 21 : 231-41. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2011.21.2.231
- Tanaka Y, Takakura Y, Fujii T, Kumai T, Sugimoto K. Hindfoot alignment of hallux valgus evaluated by a weightbearing subtalar x-ray vew. Foot Ankle Int. 1999 ; 20 : 640-5. https://doi.org/10.1177/107110079902001005
- Lee CW, Kim KT, Lee MC. The Effects of Using Foot Orthoses and Lumbar Stabilization Exercise that Influence Articular (Lumbosacral & Pelvic Girdle) Angles in Spinal Malalignment Patients with Flatfoot. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies. 2010 ; 41(2) : 743-52.
- Giles LGF, Tayler JR. Lumbar spines structural changes associated with leg length inequality. Spine. 1982 ; 7 : 159-62. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198203000-00011
- Apley A. System of Orthopaedics and Fractures. 5th ed. London, Butterworths. 1977 ; 25-209.
- Giles LGF. Leg length inequalities associated with low back pain. JCCA. 1976 ; 20 : 25-32.
- De Palma, Lo Serra, F., Colletti, Vo. Neurogenic deformities of the lumbosacral spine: Their clinical and therapeutic characteristics. Arch. Putti. Chir. Organi. 1990 ; 38(3) : 297-310.
- Hoppenfeld, S., Lopez, RA., Molnar, G. Plantar weight-bearing pattern in idiopathic scoliosis. Spine. 1991 ; 6(12) : 757-60.
- Blunt, SB., Richards PG., Khalil. Foot dystonia and lumbar canal stenosis. Mov. Disord. 1996 ; 11(2) : 723-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.870110620
- Scott G, Menz HB, Newcombe L. Age-related differences in foot structure and function. Gait Posture. 2007 ; 26 : 68-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2006.07.009
- Siegel, Kepple, O'Connell, Gerber, Stanhope, 1995
- Turner, Helliwell, Emery, Woodburn, 2006.
- Han SH, Jung M, Lee JW. Pedobarographic Analysis in Functional Foot Orthosis. Jounal of Korean Foot and Ankle Society. 2006 ; 10(2) : 125-32.
- Yoon JG, Park JM, Kim JM. The effect of shoe lift of the paretic limb on gait patterns in hemiplegics. Physical Therapy Korea. 2002 ; 9(2) : 83-96.
- Hong DS. A Study on effect of therapeutic exercise through lifting a paralyzed side shoe upon balancing ability of hemiplegic patients. Korea University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences Exercise Science. 2003.
- Lee JS, Yang YA, Hur JK. The Effects of Height of Shoe Lifts on Gait and Balance in Hemiplegic Patients. The Korean Academy of Physical Therapy Science. 2003 ; 10(2) : 29-36.
- Papaioannou T, Stroke I, Kenwright J. Scoliosis associated limb length inequality. J Bone Joint Surg. 1982 ; 64-A : 59-61.
- Lee HJ. Clinical Article : The Effect of Biomechanical Foot Orthosis Controlling Pelvic Malalignment on Adolescent Mild Scoliosis. The Korean Journal of Sports Medicine. 2007 ; 25(1) : 32-7.
- Gibson PH, Papaioannou T, Kenwright J. The influence of the spine of leg length discrspancy after femoral fracture. J Bone Joint Surg. 1983 ; 65-B : 584-7. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.65B5.6643562