- Volume 34 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Miniscalpel Needle Therapy with Integrative Korean Medical Treatment for Carpal Tunnel or Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome: Case Series of Three Patients
- Kim, Jae Ik (Dept. of Acupuncture & Moxibustion, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University) ;
- Kim, Hye Su (Dept. of Acupuncture & Moxibustion, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University) ;
- Park, Gi Nam (Dept. of Acupuncture & Moxibustion, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University) ;
- Jeon, Ju Hyon (Dept. of Acupuncture & Moxibustion, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University) ;
- Kim, Jung Ho (Dept. of Acupuncture & Moxibustion, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University) ;
- Kim, Young Il (Dept. of Acupuncture & Moxibustion, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University)
- Received : 2017.07.08
- Accepted : 2017.08.09
- Published : 2017.08.20
Objectives : This study reports the clinical effects of miniscalpel needle therapy in patients with carpal tunnel or tarsal tunnel syndrome. Methods : Three patients with carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) or tarsal tunnel syndrome (TTS) (first case, patient with CTS and TTS; second case, patient with CTS; and third case, patient with TTS) were treated with miniscalpel needle (MSN) therapy and integrative Korean medical treatment. The Numeric Rating Scale (NRS), Neuropathic Pain Scale (NPS), Boston scale score, and AOFAS (American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society) ankle-hindfoot score were measured. Results : In general, outcome measures after treatment showed improvement in all cases. In the first case (CTS and TTS), scores on the NRS, NPS, and Boston scale decreased, and AOFAS ankle-hind foot scores increased. In addition, Tinel's sign showed improvement. In the second case (CTS), scores on the NRS, NPS, and Boston scale, and Tinel's sign, were decreased. In the third case (TTS), scores on the NRS and NPS, and Tinel's sign, showed improvement, and AOFAS ankle-hind foot scores were increased. Conclusion : These results suggest that MSN therapy has a meaningful clinical effect in CTS and TTS.
- Institute of Clinical Rheumatology. Clinic Rheumatology. 1st ed. Seoul: Korean Medical Publishing House. 2007:110-1.
- Stevens JC, Sun S, Beard CM, O''Fallon WM, KurlandLT. CarpaltunnelsyndromeinRochester, Minnesota, 1961 to 1980. Neurology. 1988;38(1): 134-8. https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.38.1.134
- TheKoreanOrthopaedicAssociation. Orthopaedics. 7th ed. Seoul: Newest Medicine Company. 2013: 749-50,1103-4.
- Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society Textbook Compilation Committee. Acupuncture Medicine. 4th ed. Seoul: Hanmi Medicine Publish Company. 2016:173-80, 460, 560.
- Bae HS, Jung WS, Hong JW et al. Comparison of Therapeutic Effect on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome between Oriental and Western Medicine. J Koraen Med. 2007;28(1):87-93.
- Choi SW, Park PB, Oh SJ. A Case Report of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome with Raynaud's Phenomenon Treated by Bee Venom and Carthami Flos Pharmacopuncture. JoPharmacopuncture. 2009;12(1):103-7.
- Lee HE, Heo DS. A Case Report of Patient with Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome Treated by Korean Medicine Treatment in Combination with Electro-acupuncture and Chuna Manual Treatment. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2013;23(2):175-84.
- Lee JM, Kim SK, Kim JM. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Meat-processing Workers. Korean J Occup Environ Med. 1999;11(3):407-14.
- Kim HJ, Jang GS, Lee JH. Update on Management of Compressive Neuropathy: Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. J Korean Orthop Assoc. 2014; 49(5):340-5. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2014.49.5.340
- Pang JG. Zhendao yixue jichu yu linchuang. 1st ed. Shenzhen: Shenzen.Haitian Publishing company. 2006:144-7, 218-21.
- Gwak JI, Suh SY. The Assessment Tools in Palliative Medicine. Korean J Hosp Palliat Care. 2009;12(4):177-93.
- Galer BS, Jensen MP. Development and preliminary validation of a pain measure specific to neuropathic pain: the Neuropathic pain scale. Neurology. 1997;48(2):332-8. https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.48.2.332
- Kim JH, Lee KO, Yoon BR, Kim YD, Jung US, Na SJ. Clinical and Electrophysiological Changes after Local Steroid Injection in the Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Ann Clin Neurophysiol. 2013;15(1):7-12.
- Levine DW, Simmons BP, Koris MJ et al. A selfadministered questionnaire for the assessment of severity of symptoms and functional status in carpal tunnel syndrome. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1993;75(11):1585-92. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-199311000-00002
- Kitaoka HB, Alexander IJ, Adelaar RS, Nunley JA, Myerson MS, Sanders M. Clinical rating systems for the ankle-hindfoot, midfoot, hallux and lesser toes. Foot Ankle Int. 1994; 15(7):349-53. https://doi.org/10.1177/107110079401500701
- Yang DS. Surgical Treatment of Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome [dissertation]. Daejeon: Eulji University. 2008. Korean.
- Son JE, Jang TW, Kim YK et al. Survey on the Prevalence of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Simple Repetitive Workers Who Use Upper Extremities. Korean J Occup Environ Med. 2001; 13(3):209-19.
- Won JH, Ahn HD, Woo CH. A Case Report on Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome Applied by Bee Venom and Electro-acupuncture Therapy. J of East-West Med. 2014;39(1):33-9.
- Kim MJ, Jeong YM, Lee SW, Choi SJ, Kim JH, Park HG. The Value of MRI in Idiopathic Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome by Measuring the Cross-Sectional Area of Tarsal Tunnel. J Korean Soc Radiol . 2015;72(3):164-70. https://doi.org/10.3348/jksr.2015.72.3.164
- Donovan A, Rosenberg ZS, Cavalcanti CF. MR Imaging of Entrapment Neuropathies of the Lower Extremity: Part 2. The Knee, Leg, Ankle, and Foot. Radiographics. 2010;30(4):1001-19. https://doi.org/10.1148/rg.304095188
- Hui AC, Wong S, Leung CH et al. A Randomized Controlled Trial of Surgery vs Steroid Injection for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Neurology. 2005; 64(12):2074-8. https://doi.org/10.1212/01.WNL.0000169017.79374.93
- Yuk DI, Kim KM, Jeon JH, Kim YI, Kim JH. A Review of Trends for Acupotomy. The Acupunct. 2014;31(3):35-43. https://doi.org/10.13045/acupunct.2014041
- Yim JR, Jang EH, Park MY, Kim SC. Case Study of Oriental Medicine Treatment with acupotomy Therapy of the Tarsal tunnel Syndrome. JoPharmacopuncture. 2009;12(1):109-17. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2009.12.1.109