- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluating Factors Affecting Ocular Fatigue of College Students
대학생의 눈 피로도에 영향을 미치는 요인에 관한 연구
- Hong, Kyung-Hee (Korea Optometric Association) ;
- Lee, Hyun-Joo (Dept. of Optometry, Daejeon Health Institute of Technology) ;
- Kim, Se-Jin (Dept. of Optometry, Baekseok University)
- Received : 2017.11.08
- Accepted : 2017.12.11
- Published : 2017.12.31
Purpose: The objectives of this study were to evaluate and analyze the factors affecting the ocular fatigue of college students, and provide the baseline data for reducing the ocular fatigue. Methods: Ocular fatigue evaluation survey was conducted to 270 college students who were attending school at the time of the survey. McMonnies questionnaire was used to confirm the presence of dry eye syndrome and obtained data were analyzed afterward. Results: Reading duration(p=0.00), reading distance(p=0.05), reading posture(p=0.00), TV watching distance(p=0.01), computer usage time(p=0.01), and smartphone usage time(p=0.00) significantly affected eye fatigue. The presence of dry eye syndrome was affect significantly to on the ocular fatigue (p=0.00). Conclusion: Reading duration, the usage time of computer and smartphone, reading distance, and reading posture affected ocular fatigue. People with higher ocular fatigue showed higher dry eye syndrome scores. Further studies are needed to evaluate the appropriate multimedia use time, distance, and reading posture to decrease the ocular fatigue of college students.
목적: 본 연구는 대학생의 눈 피로도에 영향을 미치는 요인을 파악하고, 대학생의 눈피로도를 분석하여 눈 피로도 감소를 위한 기초자료를 제공하고자 한다. 방법: 대학교에 재학 중인 대학생 270명을 대상으로 눈 피로를 평가 설문을 하였고, 맥모니설문으로 건성안증후군의 유무를 확인하여 한 통계방법으로 분석하였다. 결과: 눈 피로도에 영향을 주는 요인으로는 독서 시간(p=0.00), 독서 거리(p=0.05), 독서 자세(p=0.00), TV 시청 거리(p=0.01), 컴퓨터 사용 시간(p=0.01), 스마트폰 사용 시간(p=0.00)이 유의한 결과로 나타났으며 건성안증후군이 있는 사람과 눈 피로도와의 관계도 유의하게 나타났다(p=0.00). 결론: 독서 시간, 컴퓨터 및 스마트폰의 사용 시간, 독서 거리와 독서 자세가 눈 피로도에 영향을 미치고, 눈 피로도가 높을수록 건성안증후군 점수가 높게 나타났다. 이에 대학생들의 눈 피로도 감소를 위한 적정한 멀티미디어의 사용시간과 거리 및 독서 자세에 관한 후속연구가 필요할 것으로 사료된다.
- Thomson WD: Eye problems and visual display terminals the facts and the fallacies. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 18(2), 111-119, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0275-5408(97)00067-7
- Hong KH, Kim YP et al.: A study on factors which affect dry eye syndrome and eye health in Filipino and Korean male students. Korean J Vis Sci. 19(1), 41-50, 2017. https://doi.org/10.17337/JMBI.2017.19.1.41
- Kim DJ, Cha JW et al.: The influence of temperature and relative humidity variation on the dry eye for using smart phone. Korean J Vis Sci. 16(3), 397-407, 2014.
- Doughty MJ: Consideration of Three Types of Spontaneous Eyeblink Activity in Normal Humans: during Reading and Video Display Terminal Use, in Primary Gaze, and while in Conversation. Optom Vis Sci. 78(10), 712-725, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006324-200110000-00011
- Choi UJ, Jun JJ: A study on the impact of life habits on eyesight among college students(centering on students studying Dental Technology). J Korean Acad Dent Technol. 32(4), 411-423, 2010.
- Yang HC: 3D effects on viewers' perceived eye movement, perceived functionality, visual fatigue, and presence. Kwangwoon University MS Thesis, pp.1-30, 2011.
- Park JH, Lee NS et al.: Survey on the measure of visual fatigue. Korean Inst Indust Eng. 1994(4), 112-121, 1994.
- Yoo SY, Seo MW et al.: Analysis of eye fatigue and eye blink parameters in watching Ultra High Definition Video. Inst Electr Eng Korea. 2016(6), 2269-2271, 2016.
- Kim HR, Jeong JH: The study of visual fatigue by monitor letter contrast with an eye tracker. J Korean Oph Opt Soc. 19(4), 533-538, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2014.19.4.533
- Kim MK; The effects of self-acupressure on th eye conditions of college students. Dong-Eui University MS Thesis, pp.1-30, 2012.
- Ames SL, Wolffsohn JS et al.: The development of a symptom questionnaire for assessing virtual reality viewing using a head-mounted display. Optom Vis Sci. 82(3), 168-176, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.OPX.0000156307.95086.6
- Kwon JK, Kang SY et al.: The ocular fatigue of watching three-dimensional (3D) images. J Korean Opthalmol Soc. 53(7), 941-946, 2012. https://doi.org/10.3341/jkos.2012.53.7.941
- Oh DK, Oh SJ et al.: Comparison of McMonnies and OSDI questionnaires for screening dry eye. Korean J Vis Sci. 16(4), 593-603, 2014.
- Yoo H, Lee EH: The relationship between use of sunblocks and dry eye. J Digit Converg. 14(6), 347-353, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.6.347
- Hoffman DM, Girshick AR et al.: Vergence-accommodation conflicts hinder visual performance and cause visual fatigue. J Vis. 8(3), 1-30, 2008.
- Lambooij MTM, Ijsselsteinjn WA et al.: Visual discomfort in stereoscopic displays: a review. J Image Sci Technol. 53(3), 1-14, 2009.
- Her S, Kim KH: Dry eye syndrome and ocular fatigue according to the status of contact lens wearing and management among female university students. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs. 25(4), 259-269, 2014. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2014.25.4.259
- Suh YW, Kim KH et al.: The objective methods to evaluate ocular fatigue associated with computer work. J Korean Opthalmol Soc. 51(10), 1327-1332, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3341/jkos.2010.51.10.1327
- Ko EJ, Kim HJ: Correlation between convergence insufficiency with CISS and attentiveness in children. J Korean Oph Opt Soc. 20(4), 511-518, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2015.20.4.511
- Kim SJ, Lee JH et al.: Study on the effect of color lens on reading ability of convergence insufficiency eyes. Korean J Vis Sci. 19(2), 159-166, 2017. https://doi.org/10.17337/JMBI.2017.19.2.159
- Lee CH: The impact on the smartphone for youth. National Youth Policy Institute 2013(6), 3-37, 2013.
- Lee HG: Exploration the Predicting Variables of the Addictive Mobile Phone Use of teenage Comparison 20 and 30 ages. Korean J Youth Stud. 16(1), 117-153, 2009.
- Park SY, Kim MJ et al.: Influence of smart phone on dry eye syndrome in adolescents. Korean J Fam Pract. 5(3), 336-340, 2015.