- Volume 23 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Job Stress and Compassion Satisfaction, Compassion Fatigue, Burnout for Nurses in Children's Hospital
어린이병원 간호사의 업무 스트레스와 공감만족, 공감피로, 소진 간의 관계
- Choi, Heekang (Department of Nursing, Seoul National University Hospital) ;
- Park, Jisun (Department of Nursing, Seoul National University Hospital) ;
- Park, Mijeong (Department of Nursing, Seoul National University Hospital) ;
- Park, Bobae (Department of Nursing, Seoul National University Hospital) ;
- Kim, Yeseul (Department of Nursing, Seoul National University Hospital)
- 최희강 (서울대학교병원 간호부문) ;
- 박지선 (서울대학교병원 간호부문) ;
- 박미정 (서울대학교병원 간호부문) ;
- 박보배 (서울대학교병원 간호부문) ;
- 김예슬 (서울대학교병원 간호부문)
- Received : 2017.08.22
- Accepted : 2017.09.27
- Published : 2017.10.31
Purpose: Nurses experience burnout related to various factors. For this descriptive research job stress, compassion satisfaction, and compassion fatigue were examined as to their relationship to burnout in nurses from children's hospital. Methods: The participants were 305 nurses working in children's hospital. Self-report questionnaires were used to measure job stress, compassion satisfaction, compassion fatigue and burnout. Results: Nurses in children's hospital experienced a greater than moderate degree of job stress, compassion satisfaction, compassion fatigue and burnout, whereas differences existed according to general characteristics. Job stress, compassion fatigue and burnout showed a significant positive correlation and results of compassion fatigue and burnout were similar. Also, job stress, compassion satisfaction and compassion fatigue were associated with burnout in nurses working in children's hospital. Conclusion: Findings indicate that as longer work experience is accompanied by higher job stress and burnout, it is necessary to develop intervention programs to reduce burnout among career nurses exposed to greater job stress in children's hospital.
Supported by : 서울대학교병원
- Kim MR, Seomun GA. Relationships among burnout, job satisfaction, organizational commitment and turnover intention to resign in hospital nurses. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing. 2013;22(2):93-101. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.2.93 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.2.93
- Kim SH, Yang YS. A meta analysis of variables related to burnout of nurse in Korea. Journal of Digital Convergence. 2015;13(8):387-400. https://doi.org/10.14400/jdc.2015.13.8.387 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.8.387
- June KJ, Byun SW. Nurse's burnout research throughout the past 10 years in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2009;15(3):305-313.
- Meadors P, Lamson A, Swanson M, White M, Sira N. Secondary traumatization in pediatric healthcare providers: compassion fatigue, burnout, and secondary traumatic stress. OMEGA-Journal of Death and Dying. 2010;60(2):103-128. https://doi.org/10.2190/om.60.2.a https://doi.org/10.2190/OM.60.2.a
- Burtson PL, Stichler JF. Nursing work environment and nurse caring: relationship among motivational factors. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2010;66(8):1819-1831. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05336.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05336.x
- Stamm BH. The Concise ProQOL Manual. [Internet]. NY: 2010 [cited 2017 August 18]. Available from https://nbpsa.org/images/PRP/ProQOL_Concise_2ndEd_12-2010.pdf
- Lloyd MG, Urquhart L, Heard A, Kroese B. When a child says 'no': Experiences of nurses working with children having invasive procedures. Paediatric Nursing. 2008;20(4):29-34. https://doi.org/10.7748/paed.20.4.29.s24 https://doi.org/10.7748/paed.20.4.29.s24
- Hong E, Yang YJ. Factors affecting job stress of pediatric nurses: Focusing on self-eficacy, emotional labor, pediatric nurse-parent partnership. Child Health Nursing Research. 2015;21(3):236-243. https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2015.21.3.236 https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2015.21.3.236
- Park MH. The effect of job stress on positive thinking, organizational commitment and turnover intention of pediatric nurse. Crisisonomy. 2014;10(11):269-287.
- Cho EJ, Bang KS. Nursing professionalism, self-efficacy and nurse parent partnership in pediatric nurses. Child Health Nursing Research. 2013;19(2):94-101. https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2013.19.2.94 https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2013.19.2.94
- Kim EJ. The Relationship among ego-states and job stress of nurses at pediatrics. The Korean Society of Stress Medicine. 2013;21(1):31-40.
- Lee MS. Study of nurses in emergency department on the stress and job satisfaction related to nursing of emergency pediatric patients [dissertation]. Seoul: KyungHee University; 2012. p. 1-60.
- Sarwar S R, Mangewala V, Baron R. Helping the angels: a review of understanding and helping dying children. Innovations In Clinical Neuroscience. 2013;10(3):31-34.
- Kim JS, Kim GS, Choi MN, Lee HK. Factors associated with burnout for nurses working in hematology-oncology wards. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing. 2011;20(1):24-34. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.1.024 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.1.024
- Kim HJ, Choi HJ. Emergency nurses' professional quality of life: Compassion satisfaction, burnout, and secondary traumatic stress. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2012;18(3):320-328. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.3.320 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.3.320
- Yang HS. Effects of work stress, compassion fatigue and compassion satisfaction on burnout in operating room nurses [dissertation]. Seoul: ChungAng University; 2013. p. 1-71.
- Lim DS, Cho BH. The study on stress, hardiness, and professional burnout of intensive care unit nurses. Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2007;14(1):120-127.
- Kim MJ, Gu MO. The development of the stress measurement tool for staff nurses working in the hospital. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 1983;14(2):28-47. https://doi.org/10.4040/jnas.1922.214.171.124
- Park CH, Koh HJ. The relationship between job stress and nursing performance of emergency room nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing. 1998;11(1):146-157.
- Figley CR. Compassion fatigue: coping with secondary traumatic stress disorder in those who treat the traumatized. 1st ed. NY: Routledge;1995.
- Kang HJ, Bang KS. Development and evaluation of a self-reflection program for intensive care unit nurses who have experienced the death of pediatric patients. Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing. 2017;47(3):392-405. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2017.47.3.392 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2017.47.3.392
- Kim SR, Kim HY, Kang JH. Effects of type D personality on compassion fatigue, burnout, compassion satisfaction, and job stress in clinical nurses. Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2014;20 (3):272-280. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.272 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.272
- Cho HN, Kim SJ. Relationship of job stress, hardness, and burnout among emergency room nurses. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing. 2014;23(1):11-19. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.1.11 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2014.23.1.11
- Kim YH, Suh BH. Comparative study regarding job stress of nurses working in pediatric ward and general ward. Poster session presented at: Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing Summer Conference; 2006 June-53; College of Nursing Yonsei University. Seoul.
- Kang JM, Kim WS, Cho HH. Effects of social capital, labor intensity and incivility on job burnout in pediatric nurses. Child Health Nursing Research. 2017;23(1):61-69. https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2017.23.1.61 https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2017.23.1.61
- Kim S, Kim JH, Park JY, Suh EY, Yang HJ, Lee SY, et al. (2010). Oncology nurses' professional quality of life in a tertiary hospital. Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2010;16(3):145-155.
- Lee JM, Yom YH. Effects of work stress, compassion fatigue, and compassion satisfaction on burnout in clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2013;19(5):689-697. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.5.689 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.5.689
- Hong JY. Relationships between professional self concept and professional quality of life among nurses in ICU [dissertation]. Busan: Kosin University; 2015. p. 1-68.
- Stamm BH. Measuring compassion satisfaction as well as fatigue: Developmental history of the compassion fatigue and satisfaction test. NY: Brunner-Routledge; 2002. p. 107-119.
- Kim YO. A study of factors predicting burnout in hospital staff nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing. 2002;14(4):591-601.