- Volume 37 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Study on Body Pressure and Subjective Comfort for the Mattress Forms
매트리스의 종류에 따른 체압 및 주관적 편안함 비교 연구
- Kim, Young-Hee (Kyungsung University, Graduate School of Digital Design) ;
- Cheng, Hong-In (Kyungsung University, Department of Industrial and Management Engineering)
- Received : 2018.01.15
- Accepted : 2018.01.28
- Published : 2018.02.28
Objective: This study examines body pressure and subjective comfort for four different mattresses (latex, memory foam, soft multi-hardness polyurethane and hard multi-hardness polyurethane mattress) in three different sleeping postures (back lying, left side lying and right side lying sleeping posture). Background: Mattress is very significant for satisfactory sleeping and well-being life. Many people are suffering from the sleep disorder these days. Not enough studies have been performed for the mattress especially for recently developed cutting-edge mattresses. Method: Thirty five participants evaluated the mattresses in the different sleeping postures. Mean body pressures and peak body pressures were measured and analyzed for the study and subjective comfort of the mattresses was also assessed by the participants. Results: Mean body pressure of each mattress was significantly different. Memory foam mattress and hard multi-hardness polyurethane mattress showed significantly lowest and highest mean body pressure in the back lying posture. In the other sleeping postures, similar results were also observed. Peak body pressure of memory foam mattress was significantly lower than other mattresses. The participants assessed hard multi-hardness polyurethane mattress was less comfort comparing to the other mattresses. Conclusion: Memory foam mattress produced lower mean body pressure and higher comfort regardless sleeping posture. The relationship between softness and quality of mattress would be explored in the future study. Hardness of mattress would be related to the mean body posture and subjective comfort. Application: The hardness of a mattress could be adjusted to improve the quality of mattresses. The results of the study can be applied to develop new mattresses as well.
Grant : 글로벌전략기술개발사업 중 수출유망과제
Supported by : 중소기업청
- Chae, K.Y., Physiology of sleep, Korean Journal of Pediatrics, 50(8), 711-717, 2007. https://doi.org/10.3345/kjp.2007.50.8.711
- Chun, C.Y., Bedroom environment for healthy sleep, Review of Architecture and Building Science, 59(2), 43-46, 2015.
- Eun, K.S. and Cha, S.E., Gender differentials and covariates of sleep time in daily life of Korea, Journal of The Korean Official Statistics, 15(2), 82-103, 2010.
- Jeong, S.Y., Kim, J.Y., Kho, Y.T., Ahn, K.S. and Lee, C.R., Oriental medical treatment pattern of Korean patients with sleep disorders, Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry, 25(4), 389-400, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7231/jon.2014.25.4.389
- Kim, J.Y., Lee, J.C., Kim, D.J., Lee, Y.J. and Kim, Y.S., "Ergonomic and psychological comparative evaluation of various functional mattresses", Proceedings of Spring Conference of the Ergonomics Society of Korea, 27-31, 2016.
- Lopez-Torres, M., Porcar, R., Solaz, J. and Romero, T., Objective firmness, average pressure and subjective perception in mattresses for the elderly, Applied Ergonomics, 39(1), 123-130, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2006.11.002
- Low, F.Z., Chua, M.C., Lim, P.Y. and Yeow, C.H., Effects of mattress material on body pressure profiles in different sleeping postures, Journal of Chiropractic Medicine, 16(1), 1-9, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcm.2016.09.002
- Nilsson, P.M., Nilsson, J.Å., Hedblad, B. and Berglund, G., Sleep disturbance in association with elevated pulse rate for prediction of mortality-consequences of mental strain, Journal of Internal Medicine, 250(6), 521-529, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2796.2001.00913.x
- Wickwire, E.M., Geiger-Brown, J., Scharf, S.M. and Drake, C.L., Shift work and shift work sleep disorder: clinical and organizational perspectives, Chest, 151(5), 1156-1172, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chest.2016.12.007