- Volume 30 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Resisting Strength of Ring-Stiffened Cylindrical Steel Shell under Uniform External Pressure
균일외압을 받는 링보강 원형단면 강재 쉘의 강도특성
- Ahn, Joon Tae (Dept. of Civil Eng., Myongji University) ;
- Shin, Dong Ku (Dept. of Civil Eng., Myongji University)
- Received : 2017.08.22
- Accepted : 2018.01.16
- Published : 2018.02.27
Resisting strength of ring-stiffened cylindrical steel shell under uniform external pressure was evaluated by geometrically and materially nonlinear finite element method. The effects of shape and amplitude of geometric initial imperfection, radius to thickness ratio, and spacing of ring stiffeners on the resisting strength of ring-stiffened shell were analyzed. The resisting strength of ring-stiffened cylindrical shells made of SM490 obtained by FEA were compared with design strengths specified in Eurocode 3 and DNV-RP-C202. The shell buckling modes obtained from a linear elastic bifurcation FE analysis were introduced in the nonlinear FE analysis as initial geometric imperfections. The radius to thickness ratios of cylindrical shell in the range of 250 to 500 were considered.
- Batdorf, S.B. (1947) A Simplified Method of Elastic Stability Analysis for Thin Cylindrical Shells, NACA Report No.874.
- Nash, W.A. (1954) Buckling of Thin Cylindrical Shells Subject to Hydrostatic Pressure, Journal of Aeronautical Sciences, IJASS, Vol.21, pp.354-355.
- Soong, T.C. (1967) Buckling of Cylindrical Shell under Pressure by Using Sanders' Theory, AIAA Journal, Vol.5, pp. 1049-1052.
- Yamaki, N. (1969) Buckling of Circular Cylindrical Shells Under External Pressure, Report of the Institute of High Speed Mechanics, No.20, pp.35-55.
- Windenburg, D.F. and Trilling, C. (1934) Collapse by Instability of Thin Cylindrical Shells Under External Pressure, U.S. Transactions of the ASME, Vol.56, pp.819-825.
- Galletly, G.D. and Bart, R. (1956) Effects of Boundary Conditions and Initial Out-of-Roundness on the Strength of Thin-Walled Cylinders Subject to External Hydrostatic Pressure, Journal of Applied Mechanics, ASME, Vol.23, pp.351-358.
- Ekstrom, R.E. (1962) Buckling of Cylindrical Shells Under Combined Torsion and Hydrostatic Pressure, Experimental Mechanics, Vol.6, pp.192-197.
- Montague, P. (1969) Experimental Behavior of Thin-Walled Cylindrical Shells Subjected to External Pressure, Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, JAMES, Vol.11, pp. 40-56.
- ECCS (1988) Buckling of Steel Shells: European Recommendations, 4th Ed., European Convention for Constructional Steelwork, Brussels.
- DIN 18800 (1990) Steel Structures: Stability, Buckling of Shells, DIN 18800/Part 4, Deutsches Institut fur Normung, Berlin.
- ENV 1993-1-6 (2007) Eurocode 3: Design of Steel Structures, Part 1.6: Strength and Stability of Shell Structures, CEN, Brussels.
- API (1989) API Recommended Practice for the Planning, Design, and Construction of Fixed Offshore Platforms, RP2A, 18th Ed., American Petroleum Institute, Division of Production, Washington, DC.
- DNV (2013) Buckling Strength of Shells, DNV-RP-C202.
- Teng, J.G. and Rotter, J.M. (2004) Buckling of Thin Metal Shells, Spon Press, London.
- 안준태, 신동구(2015) 풍력발전 타워용 원형단면 강재 쉘의 극한휨강도, 한국강구조학회논문집, 한국강구조학회, 제27권, 제1호, pp.109-118. (Ahn, J.T. and Shin, D.K. (2015) Ultimate Flexural Strength of Cylindrical Steel Shell for Wind Turbine Tower, Journal of Korean Society of Steel Construction, KCCS, Vol. 27, No.1, pp.109-108 (in Korean).)
- 안준태, 신동구(2017) 풍력발전 타워용 종방향 보강 원형단면 강재 쉘의 극한압축강도, 한국강구조학회논문집, 한국강구조학회, 제29권, 제2호, pp.123-134. (Ahn, J.T. and Shin, D.K. (2017) Ultimate Axial Strength of Longitudinally Stiffened Cylindrical Steel Shell for Wind Turbine Tower, Journal of Korean Society of Steel Construction, KCCS, Vol.29, No.2, pp.123-134 (in Korean).)
- ABAQUS (2010) ABAQUS/CAE User's Manual, ver.6.10.