- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on Convergence Contact Behavior of Friction Heat and Pad on Disk Brake
디스크 브레이크에서 마찰열과 패드에 작용하는 융합 접촉거동에 관한 연구
- Han, Seung-Chul (Department of Automobiles, Yeungnam University College) ;
- Lee, Bong-Gu (Division of Mechanical Engineering Technology, Yeungnam University College)
- Received : 2017.11.26
- Accepted : 2018.01.20
- Published : 2018.01.28
In automotive disc brake systems, frictional heat is not uniformly dispersed for reasons such as heat flux and thermal deformation. The thermoelastic deformation due to the frictional heat affects the contact pressure distribution and the contact load may be concentrated on the contact portion on the the disc brake surface, resulting in thermoelastic instability. In this study, thermal analysis and thermal deformation analysis considering the contact between disk and pad occurred during braking through 3D axial symmetry model with reference to the experimental equation and Kao's analysis method of contact pressure of disk and pad. ANSYS is used to analyze the thermal and elastic instability problems occurring at the contact surface between the disk and the pad, considering both the thermal and mechanical loads. A 3D axisymmetric model with direct contact between the disk and the pad was constructed to more accurately observe the thermal behavior of the disk by observing the frictional surface temperature, thermal deformation and contact thermal stress of the disk.
- V. T. V. S. Ramachandra Rao, H. Ramasubrananian, and K. N. Seetharamu, "Analysis of Temperature Field in Brake Disc for Fade Assessment," Wearme Stoffuebertrag, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 9-17, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01599500
- T. I. Yeo, "Finite Element Analysis of Thermoelastic Contact Stability with Sliding Friction," Trans. of the KSME(A), Vol. 22, No. 7, pp. 1106-1113, 1998.
- J. D. Rainbolt, "Effects of Disk Material Selection on Disk Brake Rotor Configuration," SAE 750733 1973-1814, 1975.
- H. J. Cho, M. G. Kim, J. W. Maeng & C. D. Cho, "Analysis of the Effect of Mode Shape on Judder Phenomenon in Automotive Disk Brake," KSAE, Vol. 2, pp. 1056-1061, 2005.
- R. Limpert, "Friction Material Temperature Distribution and Thermal and Mechanical Contact Stress Analysis," Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 13, pp. 1017-1036, 2014. https://doi.org/10.4236/eng.2014.613092
- B. S. Shin & Y. S. Choi, "Brake Judder due to Disc Run-out," KSNVE, Vol. 6, No. 13, pp. 226-231, 2006.
- J. H. Kim, D. H. Yoo & Y. J. Kang, "The Optimal Design of Suspension Module for Brake Judder Reduction," KSME, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 2895-2900, 2007.
- J. H. Choi, D. H. Kim & I. Lee, "Thermal Analysis of Automotive Disc Brake using FFT-FEM," KSME journal, Vol. 25, No. 8, pp. 1253-1260, 2001.
- S. K. Lee, B. Y. Sung & S. K. Ha, "Optimal Design of Ventilated Disc Brake Rotor," KSME, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 593-602, 2003.
- A. E. Anderson & R. A. Knapp, "Hot Spotting in Automotive Friction Systems," Int. Conf. on Wear of Materials, Vol. 2, pp. 673-680, 1989.
- Y. Jimbo, T. Mibe, K. Akiyama, H. Matsui, M. Yoshida & A. Ozawa, "Development of High Thermal Conductivity Cast Iron for Brake Disk Rotors," SAE 750733 pp. 22-28, 1990.
- T. Kao, J. W. Richmond & A. Douarre, A. Ozawa, "Brake Disc hot Spotting and Thermal Judder: an Experimental and Finite Element Study," SAE 750733 Vol. 23, pp. 276-296, 2000.
- M. S. Oh, B. G. Lee & J. B. Ma, "Finite Element Analysis for Thermal Behavior of Ventilated Disc Brakes using Disk brake-Pad contact Mode," Journal of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Technology Engineers, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 259-265, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7735/ksmte.2014.23.3.259
- R. Limpert, "Brake Design and Safety," Society of Automative engineers inc. pp. 89-133, 1992.
- I. A. Popova, A. V. Shchelchkova, Yu. F. Gortyshova, N. N. Zubkovb, "Heat Transfer Enhancement and Critical Heat Fluxes in Boiling of Microfinned Surfaces," High Temperature, Vol. 55, No. 4, pp. 537-548, 2017.