- Volume 29 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Research on Characteristics of Multifunctional Soil Binder Based on Polyacrylamide
폴리아크릴아마이드를 기반으로 하는 다기능성 토양안정제의 특성에 관한 연구
- Kim, Jin Kyung (Department of Chemical Engineering, Dongguk University) ;
- Kim, Dae Ho (Wooyoung Environment & Development) ;
- Joo, Sang Hyun (Wooyoung Environment & Development) ;
- Lee, Myung Cheon (Department of Chemical Engineering, Dongguk University)
- Received : 2017.10.10
- Accepted : 2017.12.18
- Published : 2018.04.10
For the efficient recovering of collapsed sloped soil, using a soil binder that can support the soil strongly and help the growth of plants is very important. The soil binder should also have functions of recovering the soil ecologically as well as be environmental friendly materials. In this research, optimum values of the water content and permeability and direct shear strength were searched by adding the water absorbent and coagulant into the soil binder. The polyacrylamide (PAM) with various anionic strength, super absorbent polymer (SAP) and cellulose ether (CE) were used as a soil binder, water absorbent and coagulant, respectively. Effects of the soil binder on the characteristics of soil were observed by changing the mixing ratio of PAM, SAP and CE. Experimental results showed that the soil binder increased the direct shear strength tens of times and the water content around two times, whereas decreased the water permeability. Also, the addition of CE to increase the coagulation of SAP increased more of the direct shear strength and water content.
- J. H. Kim, S. W. Park, S. S. Jeong, and J. H. Yoo, A study of stability analysis on unsaturated weathered slopes based on rainfall-induced wetting, J. Korean Geothech. Soc., 18(2), 123-136 (2002).
- G. M. Sa, M. S. Kim, S. S. Kim, and I. Y. Lee, Analysis on the rainfall driven slope failure adjacent to a railway: Flume tests, J. Korean Geotech. Soc., 22(5), 83-91 (2006).
- Y. S. Song, W. P. Hong, J. M. Yun, and T. Y. Kim, Slope stability considering infiltration velocity during rainfall, In: Korean Society of Civil Engineers Annual Conference, 4454-4457 (2005).
- S. E. Cho and S. R. Lee, A comarative study of surficial stability analysis in unsaturated soil slopes, J. Korean Geotech. Soc., 17(4), 135-143 (2001).
- Y. S. Kim, J. H. Kim, I. H. Bhang, and S. G. Seo, A study on rainfall-induced erosion of land surface on reinforced slope using soil improvement material, J. Korean Geotech. Soc., 29(1), 49-50 (2013). https://doi.org/10.7843/kgs.2013.29.1.49
- B. Trzebiatowski, T. Edil, and C. Benson, Case study of subgrade stabilization using fly ash: State Highway 32, Port Washington, Wisconsin. In: ASCE Civil Engineering Conference and Exposition 2004, ASCE GSP No. 127, 123-136 (2005).
- T. B. Edil, H. A. Acosta, and C. H. Benson, Stabilizing soft fine-grained soils with fly ash, J. Mater. Civil Eng., 18(2), 283-294 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(2006)18:2(283)
- K. H. Kim, Y. T. Kim, and S. H. Lee, A study on slope reinforcing effects using soil stabilizer, J. Korean Geothech. Soc., 26(10), 5-6 (2010).
- J. A. Entry, R. E. Sojka, M. Watwood, and C. Ross, Polyacrylamide preparations for protection of water quality threatened by agricultural runoff contaminants, Environ. Pollut., 120, 192-193 (2002).
- V. S. Green, D. E. Stott, L. D. Norton, and J. G. Graveel, Polyacrylamide molecular weight and charge effects on infiltration under simulated rainfall, Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 64, 1786-1790 (2000). https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2000.6451786x
- J. A. Entry, R. E. Sojka, M. Watwood, and C. Ross, Polyacrylamide preparations for protection of water quality threatened by agricultural runoff contaminants, Environ. Pollut., 11, 183-185 (2002).
- I. Shainberg and G. J. Levy, Organic polymers and soil sealing in cultivated soils, Soil Sci., 158, 267-273 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-199410000-00006
- J. Idowu and S. Angadi, Understanding and managing soil compaction in agricultural fields, Agricultural Science Center at Clovis, New Mexico State University, Circular, 672, 2-3 (2013).
- A. Wallance and G. A. Wallance, Need for solution or exchangeable calcium and/or critical EC level for flocculation of clay by polyacrylamides. In: Proceedings of the Managing Irrigation-Induced Erosion and Infiltration with Polyacrylamide, pp. 59-63, May 6-8, Twin Falls, ID, USA (1996).
- M. Ben-Hur, M. Malik, J. Letey, and U. Mingelgrin, Adsorption of polymers on clays as affected by clay charge and structure, polymer properties, and water quality, Soil Sci., 153(5), 349-356 (1992). https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-199205000-00002
- S. B. Kanungo, Effect of some commercial flocculating agents on settling and filtration rates of low grade, fragile manganese ores of Andhra Pradesh, Indian J. Chem. Technol., 12, 557-558 (2005).
- B. K. G. Theng, Formation and Properties of Clay-Polymer Complexes, 2nd ed., 60-63, Elsevier (2012).