- Volume 30 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Numerical Study of High-strength Steel CHS X-joints Including Effects of Chord Stresses
주관응력효과를 고려한 고강도강 X형 원형강관접합부의 수치해석 연구
- Kim, Seon Hu (Dept. of Architecture & Architectural Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Cheol Ho (Dept. of Architecture & Architectural Engineering, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2018.02.10
- Accepted : 2018.03.30
- Published : 2018.04.27
Internationally representative steel design standards have forbidden or limited the application of high-strength steels to tubular joints, partly because of concerns about their unique material characteristics such as high yield ratio. Most of design standards stipulate that for steels whose yield strengths exceed 355 or 360 MPa, the strength equations cannot be utilized or strength reduction factor below 1.0 should be multiplied. However, the mechanical background behind these limitations is not clear. Experimental testing of high-strength steel CHS (circular hollow section) X-joints recently conducted by the authors also clearly indicated that the current limitations might be unduly conservative. As a continuing work, extensive, test-validated numerical analyses were made to investigate the behavior of high-strength steel CHS X-joint under axial compression. Three steel grades covering ordinary to very high strength steels were considered in the analysis. Again it was found that the high strength penalty to the joint strength in current standards is too severe and needs to be relaxed. The high-strength steel joints under the effects of chord stress generally showed higher strength than the ordinary steel joints and their strengths were conservatively predicted by current standards. It is also emphasized that current format of the CHS X-joint strength equation does not reflect observed behavior and needs to be recast.
- AIK (2016) Korean Building Code: Chapter 7. Steel Structures, Architectural Institute of Korea.
- Wardenier, J., Kurobane, Y., Packer, J.A., van der Vegte, G.J., and Zhao, X.-L. (2008) Construction with Hollow Steel Sections - No.1: Design guide for Circular Hollow Section (CHS) Joints Under Predominantly Static Loading, 2nd ed., CIDECT.
- AISC (2010) Specification for Structural Steel Buildings, American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago, IL.
- CEN (2005) Eurocode 3: Design of Steel Structures - Part 1.8: Design of Joints, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels.
- CEN (2007) Eurocode 3: Design of Steel Structures - Part 1.12: Additional Rules for the Extension of EN 1993 up to Steel Grades S700, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels.
- Lee, C.-H., Kim, S.-H., Chung, D.-H., Kim, D.-K., and Kim, J.-W. (2017) Experimental and Numerical Study of Cold-formed High-strength Steel CHS X-joints, ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol.143, No.8, 04017077. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001806
- Puthli, R., Ummenhofer, T., Bucak, O., Herion, S., Fleischer, O., Fischl, A., and Josat, O. (2010) Adaption and Extension of the Valid Design Formulae for Joints Made of High Strength Steels Up to S690 for Cold-formed and Hot-rolled Sections, Schlussbericht CIDECT Projekt 5BT, CIDECT.
- Watanabe, Y., Ochi, K., and Morimoto, K. (2015) FEA of CHS T-joints with High Yield Strength Steels, Proc. Eighth International Conference on Advances in Steel Structures, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Noordhoek, C. and Verheul, A. (1998) Static Strength of High Strength Steel Tubular Joints, CIDECT Report 5BD-9/98, Delft University of Technology, Delft.
- van der Vegte, G.J., Liu, D.K., Makino, Y., and Wardenier, J. (2003) New Chord Load Functions for Circular Hollow Section Joints, CIDECT Report 5BK-4/03, Delft University of Technology, Delft.
- 이철호, 김대경, 한규홍, 김진호, 이승은, 하태휴(2012) 고강도강재 단주의 압축강도 및 잔류응력 평가, 한국강구조학회논문집, 한국강구조학회, 제24권, 제1호, pp.23-34.(Lee, C.H., Kim, D.K., Han, K.H., Kim, J.H., Lee, S.E., and Ha, T.H. (2012) Compressive Strength and Residual Stress Evaluation of Stub Columns Fabricated of High Strength Steel, Journal of Korean Society of Steel Construction, KSSC, Vol.24, No.1, pp.23-34 (in Korean).)
- 이철호, 한규홍, 김대경, 박창희, 김진호, 이승은(2012) 800MPa급 고강도강 보 부재의 국부좌굴 및 비탄성 거동, 한국강구조학회논문집, 한국강구조학회, 제24권, 제4호, pp.479-490.(Lee, C.H., Han, K.H., Kim, D.K., Park, C.H., Kim, J.H., and Lee, S.E. (2012) Local Buckling and Inelastic Behaviour of 800MPa High-Strength Steel Beams, Journal of Korean Society of Steel Construction, KSSC, Vol.24, No. 4, pp.479-490 (in Korean).)
- 김대경, 이철호, 한규홍, 김진호, 이승은, 김진원(2015) 중심압축을 받는 고강도강 중간주의 좌굴강도 평가, 한국강구조학회논문집, 한국강구조학회, 제27권, 제4호, pp.377-386.(Kim, D.K., Lee, C.H., Han, K.H., Kim, J.H., Lee, S.E., and Kim, J.W. (2015) Buckling Strength of Concentrically Loaded High-Strength Steel Columns with Intermediate Slenderness, Journal of Korean Society of Steel Construction, KSSC, Vol.27, No.4, pp.377-386 (in Korean).)
- ISO (2013) Static Design Procedure for Welded Hollowsection Joints - Recommendations, ISO/FDIS 14346:2012(E), International Organization of Standardization.
- Simulia (2014) Abaqus 6.14: Abaqus/CAE User's Guide, Simulia, Providence, RI.
- van der Vegte, G. J. (1995) The static strength of uniplanar and multiplanar tubular T- and X-joints, Ph.D. Dissertation, Delft University of Technology, Delft.
- Kang, C.T., Moffat, D.G., and Mistry, J. (1998) Strength of DT Tubular Joints with Brace and Chord Compression, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol.124, No.7, pp.775-783. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1998)124:7(775)
- van der Vegte, G.J. and Makino, Y. (2010) Further research on chord length and boundary conditions of CHS T-and X-joints, Advanced Steel Construction, IJASC, Vol.6, No.3, pp.879-890.
- Lu, L.H., De Winkel, G.D., Yu, Y., and Wardenier, J. (1994) Deformation Limit for the Ultimate Strength of Hollow Section Joints, Proc. Sixth Int'l Symposium on Tubular Structures, Tubular Structures VI, pp.341-347.
- Zhao, X.-L., Wardenier, J., Packer, J. A., and van der Vegte, G.J. (2010) Current Static Design Guidance for Hollow-section Joints, Structures and Buildings, ICE, Vol.163, No.6, pp.361-373.
- Lipp, A. and Ummenhofer, T. (2015) Influence of Tensile Chord Stresses on the Strength of CHS X-joints - Experimental and Numerical Investigations, Proc. 15th Int'l Symposium on Tubular Structures, Tubular Structures XV, pp.379-386.
- Effects of Web Restraint and Moment Gradient on Local Buckling of Slender Flange in H-shaped Beams vol.30, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7781/kjoss.2018.30.5.245