- Volume 23 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Perception of Use of Environment-friendly Agricultural Products during School Foodservice of Mothers of Elementary School Students in Gyeonggi
경기 일부지역 초등학생 어머니의 학교급식 친환경농산물에 대한 인식
- An, Young-Un (Major in Nutrition Education, Graduate School of Education, Kongju National University) ;
- Kim, Myung-Hee (Division of Food Science, Kongju National University) ;
- Choi, Mi-Kyeong (Division of Food Science, Kongju National University) ;
- Kim, Mi-Hyun (Division of Food Science, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2018.06.04
- Accepted : 2018.06.26
- Published : 2018.06.30
Objectives: This study was to investigate the perception of mothers of elementary school students regarding environment-friendly agricultural products in school foodservice. Methods: A total of 282 mothers whose children were receiving environment-friendly agricultural products during elementary school foodservice in Gyeonggi participated in this questionnaire survey. The survey was conducted to investigate respondents perception and satisfaction with environment-friendly agricultural products in their children's school meals from May 29 to June 9, 2017. Results: About 79% of the subjects were satisfied with school foodservice. The most important aspects of school foodservice were nutrition (35.8%) and sanitation (34.8%). Over 80% of the subjects were aware of environment-friendly agricultural products and about 54% of the subjects checked for a certification mark when purchasing environment-friendly agricultural products. Additionally, 72.3% of the subjects knew that environment-friendly agricultural products were used at school. The advantages of using environment-friendly agricultural products in school foodservice were safety (75.5%) and high food quality (16.3%). About 66% of the mothers knew the school was receiving support from the city or education office for using environment-friendly agricultural products. Additionally, 74.5% of the mothers responded that they are willing to pay for use of environment-friendly agricultural products when subsidies were not supported. Conclusions: The positive perception and high support for use of environment-friendly agricultural products in school foodservice among elementary students' mothers can be used as basic data for expansion of the use of environment-friendly agricultural products in school foodservice.
- Choi BY, Kim BR, Lee KH. Activation plan for eco-friendly agricultural products wholesale market. Korea Rural Economic Institute; 2013 Dec. Report No. R711.
- National Agricultural Products Quality Management Service Certification System. 2018 [cited 2018 Jun 22]. Available from: http://www.enviagro.go.kr/portal/content/html/info/signintro.jsp.
- Jang HR, Kim HY. Survey on the satisfaction degree for school lunch program of elementary school students in Yongin. Korean J Food Nutr 2005; 18(2): 155-160.
- Oh YM, Kim MH, Sung CJ. The study of satisfaction, meal preference and improvement on school lunch program of middle school boys and girls in Jeonju. J Korean Diet Assoc 2006; 12(4): 358-368.
- Park KJ, Jang MR. Survey on satisfaction of fifth and sixth grade students from elementary school foodservice in Won-ju. J Korean Diet Assoc 2008; 14(1): 13-22.
- Yi BS, Yang IS, Park MK. Annual analysis on quality attributes and customer satisfaction in school foodservice. Korean J Nutr 2009; 42(8): 770-783. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2009.42.8.770
- Lee HY, Bae HJ. Developing food safety education program for employees at school foodservice implementing HACCP. Korean J Community Nutr 2016; 21(1): 84-92. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2016.21.1.84
- Jeong JH, Kim EJ, Kim MH, Choi MK. Perception of ecofriendly agricultural products and food service satisfaction of elementary and middle school students according to eco-friendly food service day in Chungnam. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2013; 42(1): 114-119. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.1.114
- Lee YS, Lee NO, Ko SH. A survey on use of environmentfriendly agricultural products for school food service by dietitians in Chungnam province. Korean J Community Nutr 2009; 14(5): 556-564.
- Rho JO, Kim MO. A study on the utilization, recognition, and satisfaction of environment-friendly agricultural products in school food services according to the type of food Service in Jeonbuk area. Korean Assoc Hum Ecol 2011; 20(2): 427-437. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2011.20.2.427
- Jung SH, Lee YE, Park EH. Use and perception of environmentally-friendly ingredients by dietitians in Chungbuk. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2015; 44(10): 1567-1582. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.10.1567
- Chang HS, Lee MJ. The perception for management of school foodservices using of environmentally friendly agricultural products of elementary school children's mothers in Gunsan. Korean J Community Nutr 2008; 13(6): 867-878.
- Lee YS, Park MJ. Parental perception and satisfaction with environment-friendly agricultural products used for school foodservice in elementary schools in Daejeon. Korean J Food Cult 2008; 23(6): 737-747.
- Kim NR, Cho YS, Kim SA. Satisfaction and recognition level of environment-friendly agricultural products in Cheongju area. Korean J Community Nutr 2011; 16(1): 75-85. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2011.16.1.75
- Kim H, Jeon DC. Analyses of the awareness of students' parents on school meals and their intention to increase consumption of environment-friendly agri-products. Korean J Organic Agri 2013; 21(1): 19-31. https://doi.org/10.11625/KJOA.2013.21.1.19
- Jeong MH, Chae IS. A survey of eco-foodservice perception and satisfaction of elementary school parents in Jeju. J Nutr Health 2015; 48(1): 105-112. https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2015.48.1.105
- Yang IS, Park MK. Identifying the quality attributes affecting customer satisfaction of school foodservice by city and province: students, parents, and faculty. J Korean Diet Assoc 2008; 14(3): 302-318.
- The Korean Dietetic Association. Korean dietitian's activities. 2014. [cited 2018 Jun 22]. Available from: https://www. dietitian.or.kr/work/introduction/ki_us_activity.do.
- Yang IS, Yi BS, Park MK, Baek SH, Chung YS, Jeong JY et al. Evaluation of the quality attribute and satisfaction on school foodservice in 2010. Korean J Community Nutr 2013; 18(5): 491-504. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2013.18.5.491
- Lee YE. An analysis on the satisfaction with the quality of school foodservice in Chungbuk province. Korean J Food Cult 2008; 23(1): 105-114.
- Kim EM, Jeong MK. The survey of children's and their parents' satisfaction for school lunch program in elementary school. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2006; 35(6): 809-814. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2006.35.6.809
- Kim TY, Jang WW. Analysis of consuming behavior of environment-friendly agricultural products for housewives in Daegu. Korean J Organic Agri 2011; 19(2): 145-156.
- An JH, Kang KO. Consumption type of housewives about organic and instant food. Korean J Food Nutr 2006; 19(1): 28-37.
- Huh EJ, Kim JW. Consumer knowledge and attitude to spending on environment-friendly agricultural products. Korean J Hum Ecol 2010; 19(5): 883-896. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2010.19.5.883
- Baek M, Lee Y, Oh YJ. A study on parents' satisfaction with school foodservice by foodservice monitoring participation. J Korean Diet Assoc 2009; 15(3): 253-261.
- Kim IJ, Lee JH. The housewives' purchase behaviors on environment-friendly agricultural products in Daejeon area. Korean J Community Nutr 2011; 16(3): 386-397. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2011.16.3.386
- Nam YS, Kim HA. Parents' perception on middle school foodservice using environment friendly agricultural products (EFAP) in Masan area. Korean J Nutr 2012; 45(2): 181-191. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2012.45.2.181
- Kim YS, Han YS. A study on the utilization present status and the satisfaction with environment-friendly agricultural products. Proceeding of 2006 Spring Science Meeting of the Korean Food & Cookery Science; 2006 May 19; Daejeon: p. 145.