- Volume 35 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Cultural Competence and Psychological Well-being in Nursing Students and Non-Nursing Students
간호대학생과 비 간호대학생의 문화적 역량과 심리적 안녕감
- Lee, Eliza (Department of Nursing, Seoil University) ;
- Lee, Si Eun (Department of Nursing, Songgok University)
- Received : 2018.08.24
- Accepted : 2018.09.27
- Published : 2018.09.30
This study was done to compare cultural competence(CC) and psychological well-being(PWB) in nursing students(NS) and non-nursing students(NNS). Participants were 251 NS and NNS at college in S and I city. Mean score(range:1~5) of CC in NS was 3.35 and NNS, 3.23 and PWB in NS was 3.53 and NNS, 3.37. Thus, mean score of CC and PWB of two group were above the average and NS significantly higher than NNS. Significant relationship were in NS CC, cultural awareness, knowledge, sensitivity, skill and experience, PWB, self-acceptance, environmental mastery, positive relations with others, autonomy, purpose in life, personal growth. Therefore, it is necessary to develop cultural competencies and to provide nursing considering cultural diversity in PWB through extracurricular activities, lectures related to multiple cultures and the placement of multi-cultural subjects in the curriculum.
- Korean Statistical Information Service. Numbers of multicultural families by province[cited 2017 Sep 5], Available From: http://kosis.kr. (accessed July., 10, 2018)
- Korean Statistical Information Service. Population trend survey : multi cultural marriage by region groups[cited 2017 Nov 28], Available From: http://kosis.kr. (accessed July., 10, 2018)
- Fitzpatrick, JJ, McCarthy G. (ed.). Theories Guiding Nursing Research and Practice : Making Nursing Knowledge Development Explicit. p.159-171, Springer Publishing Company, (2014). Available From: https://books.google.co.kr. (accessed July., 10, 2018)
- S. M. Schim, A. Z. Doorenbos, J. Miller, R. Benkert, "Development of a cultural competence assessment instrument", Journal of Nursing Measurement, Vol.11, No.1 pp. 29-40, (2003). DOI: 10.1891/jnum.184.108.40.206062 https://doi.org/10.1891/jnum.220.127.116.11062
- S. Han, Development of a cultural competence scale for nursing students. Doctoral dissertation, Chonnam National University, Gwangju. (2014).
- S. Henderson, M. Horne, R. Hills, E. Kendall, "Cultural competence in healthcare in the community : a concept analysis", Health and Social Care in the Community, Vol.26, No.4 pp. 590-603. (2018). DOI : 10.1111/hsc.12556 https://doi.org/10.1111/hsc.12556
- B. Lee, "Trend analysis of nurses' stress based on the last 10 years of international research", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol.21, No.1 pp. 27-36. (2011). DOI : 10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.1.27 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.1.27
- K. J. Lee, E. Lee, "The relationship of emotional labor, empowerment, job burnout and turnover intention of clinical nurses", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol.20, No.2 pp. 130-142. (2011). DOI : 10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.2.130 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.2.130
- E. Lee, S. S. Chang, "Factors influencing depression of nurses among comprehensive nursing care service ward", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol.25, No.4 pp. 340-351. (2016). DOI : 10.5807/kjohn.2016.25.4.340 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2016.25.4.340
- C. D. Ryff, "Psychological well-being in adult life", Current Directions in Psychological Science, Vol.4, No.4 pp. 99-104. (1995). DOI : 10.1111/1467-8721.ep10772395 https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8721.ep10772395
- G. C. Lee, Y. Park, H. Lee, K. Lee, "The effect of a convergence multi-cultural nursing education program on cultural competence and empathy for nursing students", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.13, No.12 pp. 337-346. (2015). DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2015.13.12.337 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.12.337
- R. A. Caffrey, W. Neander, D. Markle, B. Stewart, "Improving the cultural competence of nursing students: results of integrating cultural content in the curriculum and an international immersion experience", Journal of Nursing Education, Vol.44, No.5 pp. 234-240. (2005).
- S. Park, "Relationship between self-reflection, critical thinking disposition, multi cultural experience and cultural competence in nursing students", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.14, No.12 pp. 345-355. (2016). DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2016.14.12.345 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.12.345
- J. Kim, The relationship between emotional intelligence cultural empathy and cultural competency in nursing students. Master's thesis, Kosin University. Pusan. (2016).
- Y. Cha, Factor related to cultural competence among baccalaureate nursing students in Korea. Master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul. (2015).
- S. H. Choi, "Factors affecting cultural competence of nursing students", Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol.19, No.6 pp. 3379-3390. (2017).
- M. Lee, Y. Park, "Cultural competency by multicultural experience of college students", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.14, No.12 pp. 657-665. (2016). DOI : 10.14400/JDC.2016.14.12.657 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.12.657
- H. J. Hwang, M. R. Lim, "The mediating effects that nursing college students' self-leadership and communication competence have on their profession and psychological-wellbeing", Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, Vol.7, No.10 pp. 215-227. (2017).
- E. Kim, "Convergence study on stress, stress of clinical practice, coping, and psycholgocial well-being in nursing students", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol.9, No.3 pp. 91-99. (2018). DOI : 10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.3.091 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2018.9.3.091
- Y. E. Lee, E. Kim, S. Y. Park, "Effect of self-esteem, emotional intelligence and psychological well-being on resilience in nursing students", Child Health Nursing Research, Vol.23, No.3 pp. 385-393. (2017). DOI : 10.4094/chnr.2017.23.3.385. https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2017.23.3.385
- M. K. Kang, "Factor affecting psychological well-being in nursing students", Future Convergence contents realizing the 4th industrial revolution session. (pp. 387-388). Seoul : The Korea Contents Association. (2018, May).
- K. H. Cha, "Relationships between subjective well-being and psychological well-being among Korean and American", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol.11, No.3 pp. 321-337. (2004).
- J. W. Park, The influence of cultural disposition and self-construal on university students psychological-well being. Master's thesis, Pusan National University, Pusan. (2016).
- C. D. Ryff, "Happiness is everything, or is it? Explorations on the meaning of psychological well-being", Journal of Personality and social Psychology, Vol.57, No.6 pp. 1069-1081. (1989). https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1689
- M. S. Kim, H. W. Kim, K. H. Cha, "Analyses on the construct of psychological well-being(PWB) of Korean male and female adults", The Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, Vol.15, No.2 pp. 19-39. (2001).
- Y. Kim. The mediating effects of self-esteem on the relationship between parental psychological control and social problem solving in college students. Master's thesis, Dongduk Women's University, Seoul. (2011).