- Volume 9 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Comparison Analysis of Muscle Strength and Asymmetry according to Bowler Injury Experience and Type
볼링 선수 상해 경험과 유형에 따른 근력과 비대칭 비교 분석
- Byun, Ho-Jin (Korea National Sport University)
- 변호진 (한국체육대학교)
- Received : 2018.08.04
- Accepted : 2018.10.20
- Published : 2018.10.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the differences in upper and lower strengths and symmetry between upper body injury group, lower body injury group and non-injury group of bowling athletes. The subjects were the upper body injury group (UG), n = 16, the low body injury group (LG), n = 8, the non injury group, [NG], n = 15). The isometric strength of the bowler was measured using Manual Muscle Tester 01165 (Lafayette Instrument Company, USA) and the symmetry index (SI) was calculated. The results were as follow. The symmetry index of hip extension strength and hip external rotation strength was statistically larger in NG than LG (p <.05). The above results suggest that lower body strength and bilateral symmetry was closely related to injuries of the lower body. In order to prevent injury of the bowler, strengthening of lower body strength and symmetrical training are needed.
- S. H. Kim. (2009). Comparative Analysis of Physical Strength, and Displacement of Forearm and the Pelvis. Master's Thesis. Graduate School of Keimyung University.
- J. H. Lee. (2008). A Survey on the Sport Physical Injuries Based on the Characteristics of Bowlers. Master's Thesis. Graduate School of Gongju University.
- M. R. Broer. (1979). Efficiency of Human Movement. Phildelpia : W. B Saunder co.
- B. Tan. A. R. Aziz. K. C. Teh & H. C. Lee. (2001). Grip strength measurement in competitive ten-pin bowlers. Journal of Sport Medicine and Physical Fitness, 41(1), 68-72.
- E. K. Kim. (1997). A study on the kinematical analysis of throwing motion in bowling. Master's Thesis. Graduate School of Sungkyunkwan University.
- S. Y. Lee. (2012). A Study on the Effects of Acceleration Rehabilitation Training for the Athletic Performance in Bowling Athletes. Doctor's Thesis. Graduate School of Seoul National University.
- W. Henry & B. David. (1991). Functional anatomy of the limbs and back. 6th ed, Philadelpia, W.B. Saunders co.
- Y. H. Chung. (1993). Study on Bowling Players' Sports Injuries. Master's Thesis. Graduate School of DanKook University.
- S. W. Ryu. (2008). Research on the Actual State for the Injury of Training about the General Female Bowler. Master's Thesis. Graduate School of Chungbuk National University.
- J. H. Kim. (2005). Research into conditions of sports injuries varying according to the bowler. Master's Thesis. Graduate School of Kunkook University.
- Y. J. Park. (2009). The study on the sports injuries of Bowling players. Master's Thesis. Graduate School of Woosuk University.
- J. P. Kim. (2008). The effect of balance exercise on postural control and shooting record in archers. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 18(2), 65-74. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2008.18.2.065
- I. N. Lee. (1997). Therapeutics of Disk & Low Back Pain. Seoul : JunWon Publishing.
- S. Y. Yu. (2003). A Guidebook of Chiropractic. Seoul. Journal of science and medicine in sport, 3(2):176-85.
- T. Edward. B. Howley & F. Don. (2003). Health Fitness Instructor's Handbook. 4th ed. Human Kinetics Publishers: Champaign, IL.
- K. D. Park. C. G. Kim. (2000). A factor analysis for performance by physique, physical fitness of bowler. Korea Journal of Physical Education, 39(2), 313-324.
- C. K. Park. (2010). The study of low back pain self-awareness scale and spinal lateral deformity between unilateral exercise athletics in adolescents. Journal of coaching development, 12(3), 139-144.
- J. H. Kim. S. W. Lee & S. E. Lee. (2013). The application effects of resistance training program that enhances the balance and muscular function of a bowler and improves ball speed. Journal of Wellness, 8(4), 313-324.
- J. G. Ji. Y. S. Kwak & J. S. Kim. (2016). Exercise rehabilitation on bowling injury. The Korean Journal of Sport, 14(1), 101-111.
- Y. N. Lee. (2009). Relation between Correlation analysis of bowler's physical fitness and Isokinetic muscular function and game ability. Master's Thesis. Graduate School of Chungnam National University.
- S. Y. Jung. H. J. Nam. D. S. Hong. J. H. Lee. J. K. Kim & H S. Nho. (2013). A comparison of balance activity and body alignment by sports type in unilateral exercise athletes. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 52(1), 431-442.
- J. J. Knapik. C. L. Bauman. B. H. Jones. J. M. Harris & L. Vaughan. (1991). Preseason strength and flexibility imbalances associated with athletic injuries in female collegiate athletes. American Journal of Sports Medicine, 19(1), 76-81. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354659101900113
- L. Engebretsen. T. Soligard & K. Steffen. (2013). Sports injuries and illnesses during the London Summer Olympic Games 2012. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 47, 407-414. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2013-092380
- L. Engebretsen. K. Steffen & J. M. Alonso. (2014). Sports injuries and illnesses during the Winter Olympic Games 2010. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 44, 772-780.
- T. Soligard. K. Steffen. D. Palmer-Green. (2015) Sports injuries and illnesses in the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 49, 441-447. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2014-094538
- T. Soligard. K. Steffen. D. Palmer. J. M. Alonso. R. Bahr. A. D. Lopes. J. Dvorak. M. Grant. W. Meeuwisse. M. Mountjoy. L. O. P. Costa. N. Salmina. R. Budgett & L. Engebretsen. (2017). Sports injury and illness incidence in the Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympic Summer Games: A prospective study of 11 274 athletes from 207 countries. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 51, 1265-1271. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2017-097956
- R. W. Bohannon. (1997). Reference values for extremity muscle strength obtained by hand-held dynamometry from adults aged 20 to 79 years. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 78, 26-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(97)90005-8
- Y. Ishii. H. Noguchi. J. Sato. T. Sakurai & S. Toyabe. (2017). Quadriceps strength impairment in the mid- to long-term follow-up period after total knee arthroplasty. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc, 25, 3372-3377. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-016-4333-5
- R. S. McCanna. I. D. Crossettb. M. Teradac. K. B. Kosika. B. A. Boldinga & P. A. Gribblea. (2017). Hip strength and star excursion balance test deficits of patients with chronic ankle instability. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 20, 992-996. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2017.05.005
- S. J. McLainea. K. A. Ginnb. J. W. Fell & M. Birda (2018). Isometric shoulder strength in young swimmers. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 21, 35-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2017.05.003
- C. M. Kim & J. J. Eng. (2003). Symmetry in vertical ground reaction force is accompanied by symmetry in temporal but not distance variables of gait in persons with stroke. Gait and Posture, 18(1), 23-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-6362(02)00122-4
- R. O. Robinson. W. Herzog & B. M. Nigg. (1987). Use of force platform variables to quantify the effects of chiropractic manipulation on gait symmetry. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 10, 172-176.
- F. Borden. (1991). Bowling: Ten Keys to Success. Bowling Conceps, Inc.
- J. H. Cho. (2005). Bowling. Seoul : Taeyoung.
- M. Brown. D. Sinacore & H. Host. (1995). The relationship of strength to function in the older adult. Journal of Gerontol, 50, 55-59.
- D. Daniel & E. William. (2003). Principles of Athletic Training. Mc Grow Hill., 10, 629-633.
- K. K. Lee. H. D. Kim & S. H. Back. (2009). The change of the underwater dolphin kick performance, body composition, and physical fitness after core stability exercise and circuit weight training. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, 37, 1281-1292.
- M. W. Ahn. D. M. Kim & J. C. Ihn. (1990). Low back pain in young athletes-epidemilogic study of risk factors. Journal of Korean Orthopedic Association, 25(5), 1553-1559. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.1918.104.22.1683