- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Antimicrobial Activity of Essential Oil against Oral Strain
- Park, Chungmu (Department of Clinical Laboratory Science, Dong-Eui University) ;
- Yoon, Hyunseo (Department of Dental Hygiene, Dong-Eui University)
- Received : 2018.09.06
- Accepted : 2018.12.04
- Published : 2018.12.31
Objective: In this study, we tried to investigate the antimicrobial activity of natural herbaceous plant-derived essential oils against oral disease-causing bacterial strains and establish the scientific evidences to apply them to the dentifrice, mouthwash, and other uses. Methods: We used the disk diffusion method with 23 types of 100% natural essential oils to verify the antimicrobial effect against Streptococcus mutans, Porphyromonas gingivalis, and Lactobacillus rhamnosus. After adhering to the surface of the plate culture medium,
- Park HR, Hong SJ. Research on natural medicine for wellness and oral health. J Digit Converg 2015;13:357-63.
- Baek HS, Kang SK, Auh QS, Chun YH, Hong JP. Effect of antibacterial effects of myrrh, rhatany, chamomomilla against to oral microorganisms. J Oral Med Pain 2013;38:299-312. https://doi.org/10.14476/jomp.2013.38.4.299
- de Rapper S, Kamatou G, Viljoen A, van Vuuren S. The in vitro antimicrobial activity of lavandula angustifolia essential oil in combination with other aroma-therapeutic oils. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2013;2013:852049.
- Yu MH, Chae IG, Jung YT, Jeong YS, Kim HI, Lee IS. Antioxidative and antimicrobial activities of methanol extract from Rosmarinus officinalis L. and their fractions. J Life Sci 2011;21:375-84. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2011.21.3.375
- Bhagava K, Conti DS, da Rocha SR, Zhang Y. Application of and oregano oil nanoemulsion to the control of foodborne bacteria on fresh lettuce. Food Microbiol 2015;47:69-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2014.11.007
- Oh JY, Kim YC, Lee BS. Hair growth promotion effect and anti-bacterial activity against pityrosporum ovale of peppermint dil. J Investig Cosmetol 2014;10:261-69. https://doi.org/10.15810/jic.2014.10.4.002
- Campos CA, Gerschenson LN, Flores SK. Development of edible films and coatings with antimicrobial activity. Food Bioprocess Technol 2011;4:849-75. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-010-0434-1
- Lodhia MH, Bhatt KR, Thaker VS. Antibacterial activity of essential oils from palmarosa, evening primrose, lavender and tuberose. Indian J Pharm Sci 2009;71:134-6. https://doi.org/10.4103/0250-474X.54278
- Chae IG, Kim HJ, Yu MH, Kim HI, Lee IS. Antioxidant and antibacterial activity of commercially available herbs in Korean markets. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2010;39:1411-17. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.10.1411
- Kazemzadeh R, Nikjou R, Rostamnegad M, Norouzi H. Effect of lavender aromatherapy on menopause hot flushing: a crossover randomized clinical trial. J Chin Med Assoc 2016;79:489-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcma.2016.01.020
- Sadeghzadeh J, Vakili A, Bandegi AR, Sameni HR, Zahedi Khorasani M, Darabian M. Lavandula reduces heart injury via attenuating tumor necrosis factor-alpha and oxidative stress in a rat model of infarct-like myocardial injury. Cell J 2017;19:84-93.
- Lee JY, Ko MY, Kim JS, Park CI. Inhibitory effect of lavender essential oil on formalin-induced ultrasonic vocalizations in rats. Korean Soc Cosmet Cometol 2015;5:203-8.
- Scheie AA. Modes of action currently known chemical antiplaque agents other than chlorhexdine. J Dent Res 1989;68(spec iss):1609-16.
- Lee JS, Chung KH. Antimicrobial effect of Prunus mume extracts against cariogenic bacteria. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2017;41:65-70. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2017.41.1.65
- Oh HN, Choi CH. Effect of bamboo salt on the caries activity of Streptococcus mutans. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2016;40:238-43. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2016.40.4.238
- Kim SS, Won JH, Lee GE, Lee RR, Lee SM, Lee JH, et al. Anti-bacteria effect of green tea, mulberry, and mate leaves extracts on S. mutans. J Digit Converg 2017;15:347-53.
- Choi TR, Kang MK. Antibacterial effect of tea tree on Streptococcus mutans. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2017;17:613-20.
- Kim SY, Kim HN, Jun EJ, Kim JB, Jeong SH. The growth inhibitory effect of some vegetable oils on Streptococcus mutans and Lactobacillus casei. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2016;40:24-30. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2016.40.1.24
- Choi HJ, Heo NS, Choi TW, Lee YG, Jeong YK, Joo WH. Antimicrobial and anti-halitosis effects of alnus firma extracts. J Life Sci 2012;22:1071-6. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.8.1071
- Lee YS, Kim SK, Yang TC, Kim GS, Jeon JG, Chang KW. The antibacterial and growth inhibitory effect of some essential oils against the oral micro-organisms. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2006;30:490-6.
- Balouiri M, Sadiki M, Ibnsouda SK. Methods for in vitro evaluating antimicrobial activity: a review. J Pharm Anal 2016;6:71-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpha.2015.11.005
- Wilson R. Aromatherapy: essential oils for vibrant health and beauty. New York: Penguin Putnam Inc.; 2002:107-9.
- Lee SY, Kim JG, Baik BJ, Yang YM, Lee KY, Lee YH, et al. Antimicrobial effect of essential oils on oral bacteria. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 2009;36:1-11.
- Kim MS, Lee KW, Park EJ. Antimicrobial activity of lavender and rosemary essential oil nanoemulsions. Korean J Food Cook Sci 2017;33:256-63. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2017.33.3.256
- Feniman CM, Rall VL, Doyama JT, Junior AF. Cell enumeration and visualisation by transmission electron microscopy of Lactobacillus rhamnosus treated with cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum B.) essential oil. Nat Prod Res 2012;26:1721-3. https://doi.org/10.1080/14786419.2011.605365