- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Aging Anxiety and Successful Aging on Retirement Preparation in Middle Aged Women
중년여성의 노화불안, 성공적노화가 노후준비에 미치는 영향
- Choi, Young Mi (Maumpyohan Convalescent Hospital) ;
- Choi, Seong Hui (Department of Nursing, Doctor of Hanyang University) ;
- Ahn, Okhee (Department of Nursing, Woosuk University)
- Received : 2019.02.01
- Accepted : 2019.08.30
- Published : 2019.12.31
Purpose: This is a descriptive research examining the relationships between aging anxiety, perceived level of successful aging, and preparation for aging as well as factors influencing preparation for aging. Methods: Subjects of this study were 221 women aged between 40 and 59 years residing in area J. Data were collected from October 27, 2017 to November 9, 2017, using a structured questionnaire. The collected data were analyzed using the statistical program SPSS/WIN 24.0. Results: Regression analysis revaled that factors having a significant effect on the preparation for aging of the subjects were age, perceived health status, exercise, leisure activity, aging anxiety, and perception of successful aging. The total explanatory power was 42.3%. Conclusion: Based on the results of this study, it was found that aging anxiety and successful aging influenced the preparation for aging of middle-aged women. Therefore, it is necessary to develop a nursing intervention that properly manage aging anxiety and improves successful aging, in order to encourage middle-aged women to actively prepare for their later lives.
- Ahn, H. S., Kim, H. M., Anh, J. K., & Kim, Y. H. (2009). Effects of preparation for old age and perception of the successful aging on life satisfaction of middle-aged women. Korea Family Resource Management Association, 13(3), 137-155.
- Bae, K. H. (1988). A study on preparation for old age of adulthood. Unpublished master's thesis, Dongguk University, Kungpook.
- Barrett, A. E., & Robbins, C. (2008). The multiple sources of women's aging anxiety and their relationship with psychological distress. Journal of Aging Health, 20(1), 32-65. https://doi.org/10.1177/2F0898264307309932
- Cho, I. Y. (2007). Research on sense of value and perception on successful aging of Korean middle aged people. Korean Association of Family Relation, 14(1), 81-109.
- Deborach, A., Clark, C., & Stillman, S. (2006). The retirement expectations of middle-aged individuals (Report No. 2449). IZA Discussion Papers.
- Han, M. R. (2009). A study on the recognition of nurses about the preparation and successful life for old age. Unpublished master's thesis, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul.
- Hawang, S. I. (2000). A study on the attitude of elderly life and the preparation for elderly life of the young - aged. Unpublished master's thesis, Catholic University of Taegu-Hyosung, Daegu.
- Hong, H. B., & Choi, H. K. (2003). In search of a definition of successful aging: A review of literature. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 21(2), 145-154.
- Javadi-Pashaki, N., Mohammadi, F., Jafaraghaee, F., & Mehrdad, N. (2015). Keeping up with the caravan of life: Successful aging strategies for Iranian women. International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-being, 24(10), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.3402/qhw.v10.29500
- Jeong, S. S., & Park, S. B. (2015). Effect of expectation for aging anxiety about successful aging and retirement preparation. Productivity Review, 29(2), 97-120.
- Joung, Y. O., & Oh, H, S. (2016). The effects of social support, self-efficacy and perceived health status on aging anxiety of the middle-aged women. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 30(1), 30-41. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2016.30.1.30
- Kail, B, L., & Carr, D, C. (2017). Successful aging in the context of the disableent process: Working and volunteering as moderators on the association between chronic conditions and subsequent functional limitations. The Journals of Gerontology: Series, B, 72(2), 340-350. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/gbw060
- Kang, I. (2016). Perceptions of successful aging and preparations for the later life among the baby boom cohort. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 16(9), 460-472. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.09.460
- Kang, J. H., & Seo, Y. W. (2012). A qualitative study of unmarried middle-aged women's perceptions and preparation efforts for successful aging. Korean Journal of Family Welfare, 17(2), 127-151. https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2014.23.2.231
- Kang, S. O., & Ha, K. S. (2013). Relations between the middle aged's perception of successful aging and their preparations for the old age. Journal of Digital Policy & Management, 11(12), 121-144. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.12.121
- Kim, W. (2010). A comparative study on anxiety about aging of older adults in Korea and the United States. Korean Journal of Gerontological Social Welfare, 47, 71-94
- Korea Statistics Promotion Institute. (2017, November). Report on the social survey (Issue Brief No. 23). Seoul: Author
- Lasher, K. P., & Faulkender, P. J. (1993). Measurement of aging anxiety: Development of the anxiety about aging scale. International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 37(4), 247-259. https://doi.org/10.2190%2F1U69-9AU2-V6LH-9Y1L
- Lee, E. J., & Sung, M. H. (2017). Impacts of health perception, aging anxiety and perception of successful aging on health promotion behavior of late middle-aged women. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 23(3), 181-190. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2017.23.3.181
- Lynch, S. M. (2000). Measurement and prediction of aging anxiety. Research on Aging, 22(5), 533-558. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0164027500225004
- Paik, J. E., & Choi, H. K. (2005). Successful aging according to Korean elderly: The definition, type, and predicting variable. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 23(3), 1-16
- Park, H. J. (2015). A study on economic preparations for aging of middle-old aged women. Korea Academy Industrial cooperation Society, 16(10), 6618-6626. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.6618
- Rowe, J. W., & Kahn, R, L. (2007). Successful aging. The Gerontologist, 37(4), 433-440.
- Silverstein, M., & Abramson, A. (2008). The Silver Market Phenomenon: Business Opportunities in an Era of Demographic Change. Germany: Springer.
- Slevec, J., & Tiggemann, M. (2010). Attitude toward cosmetic surgery in middle-aged women: Body image aging anxiety, and the media. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 34(1), 65-74. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-6402.2009.01542.x
- Smith, L, H. (2014). Aging, anxiety and appearance: Exploring the body image of women in midlife. Journal of Aesthetic Nursing, 3(3), 134-135. https://doi.org/10.12968/joan.2014.3.3.134
- Song, E. M., & Lee, E. Y. (2015). The relation between the middle class married middle-aged women's health stress and depression, anxiety: Moderation effect of ego-identify. Korean Journal of Woman Psychology, 20(4), 531-549. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2018.24.4.336
- Tomlin, V. (2006). Age Group and Differences in Fears of Aging. Unpublished master's, Rowan University, New Jersey, U.S.A.
- Yeom, J. H., & Kim, S. J. (2013). Korean baby boomers' preparedness for later life: Perspectives on health and social participation. Health and Welfare Policy Forum, 204, 21-31.