- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Validation of a 750 kW semi-submersible floating offshore wind turbine numerical model with model test data, part I: Model-I
- Pham, Thanh Dam (School of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, University of Ulsan) ;
- Shin, Hyunkyoung (School of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, University of Ulsan)
- Received : 2018.12.24
- Accepted : 2019.04.29
- Published : 2019.02.18
This paper describes a model test and numerical simulation of a 750-kW-semi-submersible platform wind turbine under several wind and wave conditions for validation of the numerical simulation model. The semi-submersible platform was designed to support the 750-kW-wind turbine class and operate at a water depth of 50 m. The model tests were performed to estimate the performance characteristics of the wind turbine system in the wide tank of the University of Ulsan. Motions and loads of the wind turbine system under the wind and wave conditions were measured and analyzed. The NREL-FAST code was used to simulate the wind turbine system, and the results were compared with those of the test model. The results demonstrate that the numerical simulation captures noticeably the fully coupled floating wind turbine dynamic responses. Also, the model shows a good stability and small responses during waves, wind, and operation of the 750-kW-floating offshore wind turbine.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP), Korea Electric Power Corporation
- Ahn, H.-J., Shin, H., 2017. Model test & numerical simulation of OC3 spar type floating offshore wind turbine. Int. J. Nav. Archit. Ocean Eng. https://doi.org/ https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnaoe.2017.09.010.
- Coulling, A.J., Goupee, A.J., Robertson, A.N., Jonkman, J.M., Dagher, H.J., 2013. Validation of a FAST semi-submersible floating wind turbine numerical model with DeepCwind test data. J. Renew. Sustain. Energy 5, 023116. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4796197.
- Hall, M., Goupee, A., Jonkman, J., 2018. Development of performance specifications for hybrid modeling of floating wind turbines in wave basin tests. J. Ocean Eng. Mar. Energy 4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40722-017-0089-3.
- Jonkman, J.M., Buhl Jr., M.L., 2005. Fast User's Guide-Updated August 2005. National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), Golden, CO.
- Martin, H.R., 2011. Development of a Scale Model Wind Turbine for Testing of Offshore Floating Wind Turbine Systems. Vasa.
- Martin, H.R., Kimball, R.W., Viselli, A.M., Goupee, A.J., 2014. Methodology for wind/wave basin testing of floating offshore wind turbines. J. Offshore Mech. Arct. Eng. 136, 021902. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4025030.
- Muller, K., Sandner, F., Bredmose, H., Azcona, J., Manjock, A., Pereira, R., 2014. Improved tank test procedures for scaled floating offshore wind turbines. Int. Wind Eng. Conf. (IWEC 2014) 1-12.
- Oguz, E., Clelland, D., Day, A.H., Incecik, A., Lopez, J.A., Sanchez, G., Almeria, G.G., 2018. Experimental and numerical analysis of a TLP floating offshore wind turbine. Ocean Eng. 147, 591-605. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2017.10.052.
- Robertson, A.N., Wendt, F., Jonkman, J.M., Popko, W., Dagher, H., Gueydon, S., Qvist, J., Vittori, F., Azcona, J., Uzunoglu, E., Soares, C.G., Harries, R., Yde, A., Galinos, C., Hermans, K., de Vaal, J.B., Bozonnet, P., Bouy, L., Bayati, I., Bergua, R., Galvan, J., Mendikoa, I., Sanchez, C.B., Shin, H., Oh, S., Molins, C., Debruyne, Y., 2017. OC5 project phase II: validation of global loads of the DeepCwind floating semisubmersible wind turbine. Energy Procedia 137, 38-57. https://doi.org/ https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2017.10.333.
- Robertson, A.N., 2017. Uncertainty Analysis of OC5-DeepCwind Floating Semisubmersible Offshore Wind Test Campaign, vol. 2017. Prepr. United States N. p.. Web. https://doi.org/https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1373490
- Shin, H., 2011. Model test of the OC3-hywind floating offshore wind turbine. Twenty-first Int. Offshore Polar Eng. Conf.
- Shin, H., Dam, P.T., Jung, K.J., Song, J., Rim, C., Chung, T., 2013a. Model test of new floating offshore wind turbine platforms. Int. J. Nav. Archit. Ocean Eng. 5, 199-209. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.2478/IJNAOE-2013-0127.
- Shin, H., Kim, B., Dam, P.T., Jung, K., 2013b. Motion of OC4 5MW Semi-submersible Offshore Wind Turbine in Irregular Waves.