- Volume 38 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effect of compassion experienced by social workers on Affective Commitment - Mediating Effect of Positive Psychological Capital and Moderating Effect of Organizational Identification -
사회복지사들이 경험하는 컴페션이 정서적 몰입에 미치는 영향 - 긍정심리자본의 매개효과와 조직 동일시의 조절효과 -
- Ryu, In-Ae (Department of Social Welfare, Pyeongtaek University) ;
- Ko, Sung-Hoon (Department of Business Administration, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Moon, Tae-Won (Department of Business Administration, Hongik University)
- Received : 2018.06.19
- Accepted : 2019.02.08
- Published : 2019.03.31
It is true that there are not enough empirical studies on the companionship to social welfare workers until now. Thus, this study has reduced the need to demonstrate the causal relationship between compassion experienced and outcome variables by social workers. The purpose of this study is to demonstrate the impact of the compassion experienced by social workers in social welfare facilities on positive psychological capital, and to the psychological effect formed by the psychosomatic concentration. Third, the purpose of this study is to verify the effect of positive psychological capital on the relationship between compassion and affective commitment, and fourth, the relationship between positive psychological capital and organizational identification. For empirical research, the hypothesis was verified after a survey of 369 social workers at social welfare facilities in Seoul and Gyeonggi Province. The study showed that the compassion experienced by social workers had a positive(+) effect on positive psychological capital, and that positive psychological capital had a positive(+) effect on affective commitment. In the relationship between compassion and affective commitment, the effect of the mediation of positive psychological capital has also been proven to be significant. In addition in the relationship between positive psychological capital and affective commitment, it has been noted that organizational identification has also been proven to be significant. Therefore, this study has theoretical implications for the mediating effect of the positive psychological capital and the moderating effect of organizational identification in relation to the compassion. This study will have practical implications for enhancing social workers' behavior to be more compassionate in their attitude to customers.
- 고성훈.문태원(2012), "공감이 이직의도에 미치는 영향: 긍정적 정체성과 조직몰입의 이중 매개 효과를 중심으로," 인사조직연구, 20(3), 29-76.
- 고성훈.문태원(2013), "기업의 사회적 책임활동 인식이 조직몰입에 미치는 영향에 미치는 연구 컴패션을 매개효과로," 경영과 정보연구, 32(3), 139-220.
- 구소연.고성훈.문태원(2018), "오케스트라 조직 내에서 경험한 컴페션이 직무성과에 미치는 영향-심리적 안녕감과 자기효능감을 매개로," 경영과 정보연구, 37(2), 43-62.
- 문태원.고성훈(2017), "The Effect of Acts of Compassion Within Organizations on Corporate Reputation: Contributions to Employee Volunteering," 경영과 정보연구, 36(2), 133-156.
- 주보름(2012), "다국적기업 구성원의 긍정심리 자본과 조직몰입이 직무성과에 미치는 영향," 고려대학교 대학원 석사학위논문.
- Adams V. H, C. R. Snyder, K. L. Rand, E. A. King, D. R. Seligman and K. M. Pulvers (2002), Hope in the workplace, In R. Giacolone and C. Jurkiewicz(Eds.), Workplace spirituality and organization performance, New York, Sharpe, 367-377.
- Abrams, D. & Hogg, M. A.(1988), "Comments on the motivational status of self-esteem in social identity and intergroup discrimination," European Journal of Social Psychology, 18(4), 317-334. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejsp.2420180403
- Abrams, D, K. Ando, & Hinkle, S.(1998), "Psychological attachment to the group," Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 24(10), 1027-1039. https://doi.org/10.1177/01461672982410001
- Ashforth, B. E, & Mael, F.(1989), "Social Identity Theory and the Organization," Academy of Management Review, 14(1), 20-39. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1989.4278999
- Ashforth, B. E. & Mael, F. A.(1996), "Organizational Identity and Strategy as a Context for the Individual," Advances in Strategic Management, 13, 19-64.
- Ashkanasy, N. M. & Daus, C. S.(2002), "Emotion in the workplace The new challenge for managers, Academy of Management Executive, 16(1), 76-86.
- Allen, T. D & M. C. Rush.(1998), "The effect of Organizational Citizenship Behavior on Performance Judgements: A Feild Study and a Laboratory Experiment," Journal of Applied Psychology, 83, 247-269. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.83.2.247
- Avey, J. B. Wernsing, T. S. & Luthans, F.(2008), "Can positive employees help positive organizational change," Journal of Applied Behavioral Science. 44(1), 48-70. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021886307311470
- Bhave, D. P. & Glomb, T. M.(2009), "Emotional labour demands, wages and gender: A within-person, between-jobs study," Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 82(3), 683- 707. https://doi.org/10.1348/096317908X360684
- Batson, C. D.(1994), "Why act for the public good-Four answers," Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 20, 603-610. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167294205016
- Blum, L.(1980). Compassion. In A. O. Rorty (Ed.), Explaining emotions, Berkeley : University of California Press.
- Brief, A. P., & Weiss, H. M.(2002), "Organizational behavior: Affect in the workplace," Annual review of psychology, 53(1), 279-307. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.53.100901.135156
- Cohen, S. & McKay, G.(1984), "Social support, stress, and the buffering hypothesis: A theoretical analysis," In A. Baum, J.E. Singer, and S. E. Taylor(Eds.), Handbook of psychology and health, 4, 253-268.
- Dutton, J. E. & Dukerich, J. M.(1991), "Keeping an eye on the mirror: Image and identity In organizational adaptation," Academy of Management Journal, 34, 517-554.
- Dutton, J. E, Frost, P. J, Worline, M. C, Lilius, J. M, & Kanov, J. M.(2002), "Leading in times of trauma," Harvard Business Review, 80(1), 54-61.
- Dutton, J. E. & Heaphy, E. D.(2003), "The power of high-quality connections," In Cameron K. S, Dutton J. E, Quinn R. E(Eds.), Positive organizational scholarship: 264-278, San Francisco: Berrett Koehler.
- Dutton, J. E. & Ragins, B. R.(2007), "Exploring positive relationships at work: buildings theoretical and research foundation," Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers.
- Dutton, J. E, Worline, M. C, Frost, P. J., & Lilius, J. M.(2006), "Explaining compassion organizing, Administrative Science Quarterly, 51, 59-96. https://doi.org/10.2189/asqu.51.1.59
- Dutton, J. E, Roberts, L. M, & Bednar, J.(2010), "Pathways for positive identity construction atwork: four types of positive identity and the building of social resources," Academy of Management Review, 35, 265-293.
- Fredrickson, B. L.(1998), "What good are positive emotions?," Review of General Psychology, 2, 300-319. https://doi.org/10.1037/1089-26188.8.131.520
- Fredrickson, B. L, & Joiner, T.(2002). "Positive emotions trigger upward spirals toward emotional well-being," Psychological Science, 13, 172-175. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9280.00431
- Fredrickson, B. L.(2003), "The value of positive emotions: The emerging science of positive psychology in understanding why it's good to feel good," American Scientist, 91, 330-335. https://doi.org/10.1511/2003.4.330
- Fredrickson, B. L, Tugade, M. M., Waugh, C. E., & G. R. Larkin(2003), "What goodare positive emotions in crises? A prospective study of resilience and emotions following the terrorist attacks on the United States on September11, 2001," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 84(2), 365-376. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2065
- Frost, P. J.(1999), "Why compassion counts," Journal of Management Inquiry, 8, 127-133. https://doi.org/10.1177/105649269982004
- Frost, P. J, Dutton, J. E., Worline, M. C., & Wilson, A.(2000), "Narratives of compassion in organizations," In S. Fineman (Ed.), Emotion in organizations, 25-45, London: Sage.
- Frost, P. J.(2003), "Toxic emotions at work: How compassionate managers handle pain and conflict," Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press.
- Lilius, J. M, Worline, M. C, Maitlis, S, Kanov, J, Dutton, J. E, & Frost, P.(2008), "The contours and consequences of compassion at work," Journal of Organizational Behavior, 29, 193-218. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.508
- Luthans, F, Avolio, B. J, Avey, J. B. & Norman, S. M.(2007), "Positive Psychological Capital: Measurement and Relationship with Performance and Satisfaction," Personnel Psychology, 60(3), 541-572. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2007.00083.x
- Luthans, F, Avolio, B. J, Walumbwa, F. O., & Li, W.(2005), "The Psychological Capital of Chinese Workers: Exploring the Relationship with Performance," Management and Organization Review, 1, 247-269.
- Luthans, F. Norman, S. M, Avolio, B. J, & Avey, J. B.(2008), "The Mediating Role of Psychological Capital in the Supportive Organizational Climate-Employee Performance Relationship," Journal of Organizational Behavior, 29, 219-238. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.507
- Luthans, F, Vogelgesang, G. R, & Lester, P. B.(2006), "Developing the Psychological Capital of Resiliency," Human Resource Development Review, 5, 25-44. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534484305285335
- Luthans, F. & B. J. Avolio(2009), "The 'Point' of positive organizational behavior," Journal of Organizational Behavior, 30(2), 291-307. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.589
- Luthans, F. & Youssef, C. M.(2004), "Human, Social and Now Positive Psychological Capital Management: Investing in People for Competitive Advantage," Organizational Dynamics, 33, 143-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orgdyn.2004.01.003
- Luthans, F. & Youssef, C. M.(2007), "Emerging Positive Organizational Behavior," Journal of Management, 33 321-349.
- Luthans, F, Youssef, C. M., & Avolio, B. J.(2007), Psychological Capital: Developing the Human Competitive Edge, Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Meyer, J. P. & Allen, N. J.(1991), "A three-component conceptualization of organizational commitment," Human Resource Management Review, 1, 61-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/1053-4822(91)90011-Z
- Weiss, H. M, & Cropanzano, R.(1996), "Affective events theory: A theoretical discussion of the structure, causes, and con sequences of affective experiences at work," In B. M. Staw, and L. L. Cummings (Eds.), Research in Organizational Behavior, 18, 1-74, New York: Elsevier Science.
- Wiesenfeld, B, Raghum, S. & Garud, G.(2001), "Organizational identification among virtual workers: The role of need for affiliation and perceived work based social support," Journal of Management, 27(2), 213-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0149-2063(00)00096-9
- Wispe, L.(1986), "The distinction between sympathy and empathy: to call forth a concept, a word is needed," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 50(3), 14-321. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.11
- Wuthnow, R.(1991), Acts of compassion: caring for others and helping ourselves Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Youssef, C. M., & Luthans, F.(2007). "Positive Organizational Behavior in theWorkplace: The Impact of Hope, Optimism, and Resilience," Journal of Management, 33, 774-800.