- Volume 26 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Estimation on a two-parameter Rayleigh distribution under the progressive Type-II censoring scheme: comparative study
- Seo, Jung-In (Department of Statistics, Daejeon University) ;
- Seo, Byeong-Gyu (Department of Statistics, Yeungnam University) ;
- Kang, Suk-Bok (Department of Statistics, Yeungnam University)
- Received : 2018.08.06
- Accepted : 2019.01.16
- Published : 2019.03.31
In this paper, we propose a new estimation method based on a weighted linear regression framework to obtain some estimators for unknown parameters in a two-parameter Rayleigh distribution under a progressive Type-II censoring scheme. We also provide unbiased estimators of the location parameter and scale parameter which have a nuisance parameter, and an estimator based on a pivotal quantity which does not depend on the other parameter. The proposed weighted least square estimator (WLSE) of the location parameter is not dependent on the scale parameter. In addition, the WLSE of the scale parameter is not dependent on the location parameter. The results are compared with the maximum likelihood method and pivot-based estimation method. The assessments and comparisons are done using Monte Carlo simulations and real data analysis. The simulation results show that the estimators
- Bader MG and Priest AM (1982). Statistical aspects of fiber and bundle strength in hybrid composites. In Hayashi T, Kawata K, and Umekawa S (Eds), Progressive in Science and Engineering Composites, (pp. 1129-1136), Tokyo.
- Balakrishnan N and Aggarwala R (2000). Progressive Censoring: Theory, Methods, and Applications, Birkhauser, Boston.
- Balakrishnan N and Cramer E (2014). The Art of Progressive Censoring, Springer, New York.
- Dey S, Dey T, and Kundu D (2014). Two-parameter Rayleigh distribution: different methods of estimation, American Journal of Mathematical and Management Sciences, 33, 55-74.
- Dey T, Dey S, and Kundu D (2015). On progressively Type-II censored two-parameter Rayleigh distribution, Communications in Statistics - Simulation and Computation, 45, 438-455.
- Fundi MD, Njenga EG, and Keitany KG (2017) Estimation of parameters of the two-parameter Rayleigh distribution based on progressive Type-II censoring using maximum likelihood method via the NR and the EM algorithms, American Journal of Theoretical and Applied Statistics, 6, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.11648/j.ajtas.20170601.11
- Han JT and Kang SB (2006). Estimation for the double Rayleigh distribution based on multiply Type-II censored sample, Journal of the Korean Data and Information Science Society, 17, 1319-1328.
- Johnson N, Kotz S, and Balakrishnan N (1994) Continuous Univariate Distribution,Wiley, New York.
- Lu HL and Tao SH (2007). The estimation of Pareto distribution by a weighted least square method, Quality & Quantity, 41, 913-926. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11135-007-9100-8
- Mkolesia AC and Shatalov MY (2017). Exact solutions for a two-parameter Rayleigh distribution, Global Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, 13, 8039-8051.
- Rayleigh JWS (1880). On the resultant of a large number of vibrations of the some pitch and of arbitrary phase, Philosophical Magazine, 5-th Series, 10, 73-78. https://doi.org/10.1080/14786448008626893
- Seo JI, Jeon JW, and Kang SB (2016). Exact interval inference for the two-parameter Rayleigh distribution based on the upper record values, Journal of Probability and Statistics, 2016, 1-5.
- Seo JI and Kang SB (2015). Pivotal inference for the scaled half logistic distribution based on progressively Type-II censored samples, Statistics and Probability Letters, 104, 109-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spl.2015.05.011
- Seo JI and Kang SB (2016). More efficient approaches to the exponentiated half-logistic distribution based on record values, SpringerPlus, 5, 1433. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40064-016-3047-y
- Seo JI and Kang SB (2017). Inference for the two-parameter half logistic distribution using pivotal quantities under progressively Type-II censoring schemes, Communications in Statistics-Simulation and Computation, 46, 5462-5478. https://doi.org/10.1080/03610918.2016.1161795
- Viveros R and Balakrishnan N (1994). Interval estimation of parameters of life from progressively censored data, Technometrics, 36, 84-91. https://doi.org/10.1080/00401706.1994.10485403
- Wang B (2009). Interval estimation for the scaled half-logistic distribution under progressive Type-II censoring, Communications in Statistics: Theory and Methods, 38, 364-371.