- Volume 27 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Changes in athleisure wear trade networks - A social network approach -
애슬레저 웨어의 무역 네트워크 변화 - 사회연결망 분석 -
- Ju, Naan (A Lounge) ;
- Lee, Hyun-Jung (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Hanyang University) ;
- Lee, Kyu-Hye (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2019.05.15
- Accepted : 2019.06.21
- Published : 2019.06.30
As the spread of the health and wellness trend continues worldwide, many consumers are spending much time on sports activities and expressing their individuality through sportswear. This study analyzes the trade networks of major exporters and importers of athleisure wear to provide an exporting policy for Korean apparel companies. As a result, The USA was found to import the most athleisure wear. On the other hand, China had the largest number of athleisure wear exports, and India's exports, which are becoming increasingly important as apparel producers were notable. Next, using the concept of the centrality of social network analysis, it was found that the USA was the largest importer and the center of athleisure wear's export network, but its influence has decreased gradually since 2010. China has the highest out-degree and betweenness centrality and center in the export of athleisure wear. The centrality of Asian countries such as India and Vietnam has increased. In Korea, the import of athleisure wear has increased greatly, but the export of athleisure wear has continuously decreased. Korea has less price competitiveness than other developing countries in Asia, but many Korean athleisure wear clothing brands are now attracting popularity not only in Korea but also in other countries with their excellent technology and design. In the future, the exporting policy of Korea's athleisure wear should focus on high value-added and differentiated products.
- Driver, R. (2018, August 22). Athleisure now accounts for 24% of US apparel sales, study says. Fashion Network, Retrieved May 1, 2019, from https://uk.fashionnetwork.com/news/Athleisure-now-accounts-for-24-of-US-apparel-sales-study-says,1006502.html
- Freeman, L. C. (2004). The development of social network analysis: A study in the sociology of science. Vancouver, BC: Empirical Press.
- Hofmann, A., Gold, N., & Curtin, C. (2019). Nike, Inc: Late arrival to the 'athleisure-wear' trend. Erasmus, Retrieved June 15, 2019, from http://hdl.handle.net/1765/116051
- Hong, J. Y., & Lee, J. Y. (2012). Global production network implemented in China. The Journal of Modern China Studies, 14(1), 193-230.
- Jang, J. W. (2015, December 17). 애슬레저, 내가 제일 잘나가! [Athleisure, I am the best!]. Hana Financial Investment, Retrieved May 1, 2019, from https://www.hanaw.com/download/research/FileServer/WEB/strategy/market/2015/12/16/What%A1%AFs%20Hot_Athleisure.pdf
- Ji, H.-K., & Rhee, E.-Y. (2006a). Intra-industry phenomena of clothing trade in Korea. Journal of the Korea Fashion & Costume Design Association, 8(1), 37-48.
- Ji, H.-K., & Rhee, E.-Y. (2006b). The pattern of clothing export in leading countries. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 56(3), 81-90.
- Jo, H. W. (2019, June 13). 중국 스포츠웨어 시장동향 및 트렌드 [Chinese sportswear market trends]. Kotra News, Retrieved June 15, 2019, from http://news.kotra.or.kr/user/globalBbs/kotranews/782/globalBbsDataView.do?setIdx=243&dataIdx=175481
- Kantar. (2019, June 11). BrandZ top global brands. Kantar Millward Brown, Retrieved June 15, 2019, from http://www.millwardbrown.com/brandz/rankingsand-reports/top-global-brands/2019
- Kim, E. Y. (2017, January 19). "예뻐야 운동이다" 나홀로 운동 '혼동족'을 위한 스포츠 웨어 뜬다 ["Pretty is a sport" Sportswear for people who exercise alone become trendy]. Chosun Biz, Retrieved May 1, 2019, from http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2017/01/17/2017011702108.html
- Kim, K.-H. (2009). Sportswear purchase decision factors and brand preference among college students. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 11(4), 583-591.
- Kim, S. J. (2019, February 11). 韓 애슬레져, 일본에서 가능성 찾자 [Korea athleisure, look for possibilities in Japan]. The Industry News, Retrieved May 1, 2019, from http://tinnews.co.kr/16425
- Kim, S. N., Jung, H. J., & Oh, K. W. (2017). The effects of lifestyles on pursuing benefits and purchase intention of athleisure wear. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 19(6), 723-735. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2017.19.6.723
- Korea Bizwire. (2018, April 16). S. Korea's sportswear market expected to top 2 tln won this year: Report. The Korea Bizwire, Retrieved May 1, 2019, from http://koreabizwire.com/s-koreassportswear-market-expected-to-top-2-tln-won-thisyear-report/117090
- Kwon, J. (2016). A study on the athleisure of characteristics in modern fashion. Journal of the Korea Fashion & Costume Design Association, 18(4), 101-116.
- Kwon, J.-S. (2017). Athleisure of the expression tendency and characteristics in fashion industry. Journal of Korea Entertainment Industry Association, 11(2), 25-35. dol:10.21184/jkeia.2017.02.11.2.25
- Lee, D. A., & Ahn, I. S. (2016). A study on characteristics of athleisure design in domestic and international brands. Illustration Forum, 48, 27-36.
- Lee, J., Choi, S., & Do, W. (2017). A study on the wearing condition of athleisure wear of Korean women in their 20's. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 19(5), 579-588. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2017.19.5.579
- Lee, J. W. (2018, August 9). 트렌드에 맞추어 변화하는 프랑스 스포츠웨어시장 [French sportswear market changing according to trend]. Kotra News, Retrieved June 15, 2019, from http://news.kotra.or.kr/user/globalBbs/kotranews/782/globalBbsDataView.do?setIdx=243&dataIdx=168844
- Lee, K. Y. (2018). A study on athleisure look in current fashion. Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture, 24(1), 443-453. doi:10.18208/ksdc.2018.24.1.443
- Lee, S. E. (2019, June 17). 미국, 애슬레저(Athleisure) 트렌드에 열광하다 [USA is enthusiastic about athleisure]. Kotra News, Retrieved June 18, 2019, from http://news.kotra.or.kr/user/globalBbs/kotranews/782/globalBbsDataView.do?setIdx=243&dataIdx=174863
- Lee, S. J. (2018, November 15). 스포츠에 과학을 더하다, 네덜란드 스포츠 혁신 아젠다 2015-2020 [Adding Science to Sports, The Netherlands Sports Innovation Agenda 2015-2020]. Kotra News, Retrieved June 15, 2019, from http://news.kotra.or.kr/user/globalBbs/kotranews/782/globalBbsDataView.do?setIdx=243&dataIdx=171008
- Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism. (2018). 2018 국민생활체육참여실태조사 [2018 trend of daily sports participation in Korean]. Retrieved May 1, 2019, from https://www.mcst.go.kr/kor/s_policy/dept/deptView.jsp?pDataCD=0408010000&pSeq=1228
- Moon, B. H. (2016, October 20). 나이키․언더아머 가 잘 나가는 이유 [The reasons why Nike and Under Armor are selling well]. Fashion Seoul, Retrieved May 1, 2019, from https://www.fashionseoul.com/125332
- Musante, G. (2016). Trending near you: Athleisure. AATCC Review, 16(4), 40-44.
- Park, H., & Lee, J. Y. (2018). 한국 패션의류산업의 구조고도화 전략 [Structure upgrading strategy of Korea fashion industry]. Korea Institute for Industrial Economics & Trade, Retrieved May 1, 2019, from www.kiet.re.kr/part/sDownload.jsp?s_idx=46871
- Park, J. H., & Chun, J. H. (2018). The characteristics of styling of a mix and match of an athleisure wear: Focused on street fashion. Journal of Fashion Design, 18(2), 55-72. doi:10.18652/2018.18.2.4
- Petriccione, A. (2018). Fashion vs. function: A look at new opportunities for fashionable and functional travel wear. Advertising & Society Quarterly, 19(3). doi:10.1353/asr.2018.0029