- Volume 24 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Test on the anchoring components of steel shear keys in precast shear walls
- Shen, Shao-Dong (Department of Civil Engineering, Tsinghua University) ;
- Pan, Peng (Key Laboratory of Civil Engineering Safety and Durability of China Education Ministry, Tsinghua University) ;
- Li, Wen-Feng (Complex Structural Design Division, Beijing Institute of Architectural Design) ;
- Miao, Qi-Song (Complex Structural Design Division, Beijing Institute of Architectural Design) ;
- Gong, Run-Hua (Department of Civil Engineering, Tsinghua University)
- Received : 2019.05.16
- Accepted : 2019.08.08
- Published : 2019.12.25
Prefabricated reinforced-concrete shear walls are used extensively in building structures because they are convenient to construct and environmentally sustainable. To make large walls easier to transport, they are divided into smaller segments and then assembled at the construction site using a variety of connection methods. The present paper proposes a precast shear wall assembled using steel shear keys, wherein the shear keys are fixed on the embedded steel plates of adjacent wall segments by combined plug and fillet welding. The anchoring strength of shear keys is known to affect the mechanical properties of the wall segments. Loading tests were therefore performed to observe the behavior of precast shear wall specimens with different anchoring components for shear keys. The specimen with insufficient strength of anchoring components was found to have reduced stiffness and lateral resistance. Conversely, an extremely high anchoring strength led to a short-column effect at the base of the wall segments and low deformation ability. Finally, for practical engineering purposes, a design approach involving the safety coefficient of anchoring components for steel shear keys is suggested.
Supported by : Natural Science Foundation of China
- Ameli, M.J., Brown, D.N., Parks, J.E. and Pantelides, C.P. (2016), "Column-to-footing connections using grouted splice sleeves", ACI Struct. J., 113(5), 1021-1030. DOI: 10.14359/51688755. https://doi.org/10.14359/51688755
- Boafo, F.E., Kim, J.H. and Kim, J.T. (2016), "Performance of modular prefabricated architecture: case study-based review and future pathways", Sustainability, 8(6), 558. DOI:10.3390/su8060558. https://doi.org/10.3390/su8060558
- Cui, Y., Gao, X.Y and Liu, H.T. and Yamada, S. (2018), "Experimental study on seismic behavior of roof joint", Int. J. Steel Struct., 18(4), 1373-1383. DOI: 10.1007/s13296-018-0142-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-018-0142-7
- Cui, Y., Liu, H.T. and Gao, X.Y. (2019) "Experimental study on seismic behavior of roof joint with different seismic isolation measure", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 39(1), 180-188. (in Chinese)
- Deng, K.L., Pan, P., Wang, H.S. and Shen, S.D. (2017), "Experimental study on slotted RC wall with steel energy dissipation links for seismic protection of buildings", Eng. Struct., 145, 1-11. DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.05.006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.05.006
- El-Tawil, S., Harries, K.A., Fortney, P.J., Shahrooz, B.M. and Kurama, Y. (2010) Seismic design of hybrid coupled wall systems: state of the art. J. Struct. Eng., 136(7), 755-769. DOI:10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000186. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000186
- Fintel, M. (1977), "Performance of precast concrete structures during rumanian earthquake of March 4", PCI J., 22(2), 10-15. https://doi.org/10.15554/pcij.03011977.10.15
- Fintel, M. (1995), "Performance of buildings with shear walls in earthquakes of the last thirty years", PCI J., 40(3), 62-80.
- Ghosh, S.K. (1995), "Observations on the performance of structures in the Kobe Earthquake of January 17", PCI J., 40(2), 14-22.
- Guo, W., Zhai, Z.P., Cui, Y. Yu, Z.W. and Wu, X.L. (2019), "Seismic performance assessment of low-rise precast wall panel structure with bolt connections", Eng. Struct., 181, 562-578. DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.12.060. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.12.060
- Haber, Z.B. Saiidi, M.S. and Sanders D.H. (2014), "Seismic performance of precast columns with mechanically spliced column-footing connections", ACI Struct. J., 111 (3), 639-50. https://doi.org/10.14359/51686624
- Henin, E. and Morcous, G. (2015), "Non-proprietary bar splice sleeve for precast concrete construction", Eng. Struct., 83, 154-162. DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.10.045. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.10.045
- Khaled, A.S., Sami, H.R. and Robert, W.D. (1995), "Horizontal connections for precast concrete shear walls subjected to cyclic deformations Part 2: Prestressed connections", PCI J., 40(5), 82-96. DOI: 10.15554/pcij.09011995.82.96.
- Lin, F. and Wu, X.B. (2016), "Effect of sleeve length on deformation properties of grouted splices", Gradev., 69(7), 537-546. DOI: 10.14256/JCE.1553.2016.
- Ling, J.H., Abd Rahman, A.B., Ibrahim, I.S. and Hamid, Z.A. (2016), "Tensile capacity of grouted splice sleeves", Eng. Struct., 111, 285-296. DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.12.023. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.12.023
- Ling, J.H., Abd Rahman, A.B., Ibrahim, I.S. and Hamid, Z.A. (2017), "An experimental study of welded bar sleeve wall panel connection under tensile, shear, and flexural loads", Int. J. Concrete Struct. Mater., 11(3), 525-540. DOI: 10.1007/s40069-017-0202-y. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40069-017-0202-y
- PRC National Standard (GB 50017-2017). (2017), "Standard for design of steel structures", Beijing, China, Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Construction of the People's Republic of China Press. (in Chinese)
- Scanlon, A., Kianoush, M.R. (1988), "Behavior of large panel precast coupled wall systems subjected to earthquake loading", PCI. J., 33 (5), 124-151.
- Smith, B.J., Kurama, Y.C. and McGinnis, M.J. (2007), "Design and measured behavior of a hybrid precast concrete wall specimen for seismic regions", J. Struct. Eng., 137 (10), 58-79. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000327.
- Sritharan, S., Aaleti, S., Henry, R.S., Liu, K.Y. and Tsai, K.C. (2015), "Precast concrete wall with end columns (PreWEC) for earthquake resistant design", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 44, 2075-2092. DOI: 10.1002/eqe.2576. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2576
- Shen, S.D., Pan, P., Sun, J.B., Gong, R.H., Wang, H.S. and Li, W. (2017), "Development of a double-sliding friction damper (DSFD)". Smart. Struct. Syst., 20(2): 151-162. DOI:10.12989/sss.2017.20.2.151. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2017.20.2.151
- Shen, S.D., Cui, Y., Pan, P., Gong, R.H., Miao, Q.S. and Li, W.F. (2019a), "Experimental study of RC prefabricated shear walls with shear keys affected by a slotted floor slab", J. Aerosp. Eng., 32(3), 04019013. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)AS.1943-5525.0001000. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)AS.1943-5525.0001000
- Shen, S.D., Pan, P., Miao, Q.S., Li, W.F. and Gong, R.H. (2019b), "Behaviour of wall segments and floor slabs in precast reinforced concrete shear walls assembled using steel shear keys (SSKW)", Struct. Control. Health Monit., 26: e2418.
- VanGeem, M. (2006), "Achieving sustainability with precast concrete", PCI J., 51 (1), 42-61. DOI:10.15554/pcij.01012006.42.61.
- Wu, D.Y., Liang, S.T., Guo, Z.X., Zhu, X.J. and Fu Q. (2016), "The development and experimental test of a new pore-forming grouted precast shear wall connector", J. Civ. Eng., 20(4), 1462-1472. DOI: 10.1007/s12205-015-0071-3.
- Yi, T.H., Li, H.N. and Gu, M. (2010), "Full-scale measurement of dynamic response of a suspension bridge subjected to environmental loads using GPS technology", Sci. China-Technol. Sci., 53(2): 469-479. DOI: 10.1007/s11431-010-0051-2. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11431-010-0051-2
- Yi, T.H., Yao, X.J., Qu, C.X. and Li, H.N. (2019), "Clustering number determination for sparse component analysis during output-only modal identification", J. Eng. Mech., 145(1):04018122. DOI: 10.1061/(asce)em.1943-7889.0001557. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0001557
- Ye, X.W., Ni, Y.Q., Wong, K.Y. and Ko, J.M. (2012), "Statistical analysis of stress spectra for fatigue life assessment of steel bridges with structural health monitoring data", Eng. Struct., 45, 166-176. DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.06.016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.06.016
- Ye, X.W., Ni, Y.Q., Wai, T.T., Wong, K.Y., Zhang, X.M. and Xu, F. (2013), "A vision-based system for dynamic displacement measurement of long-span bridges: algorithm and verification", Smart. Struct. Syst., 12(3-4), 363-379. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2013.12.3_4.363. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2013.12.3_4.363
- Ye, X.W., Yi, T.H., Wen, C. and Su, Y.H. (2015a), "Reliabilitybased assessment of steel bridge deck using a mesh-insensitive structural stress method", Smart. Struct. Syst., 16(2), 367-382. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2015.16.2.367. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2015.16.2.367
- Ye, X.W., Yi, T.H., Dong, C.Z., Liu, T. and Bai, H. (2015b), "Multi-point displacement monitoring of bridges using a visionbased approach", Wind Struct., 20(2), 315-326. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2015.20.2.315. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2015.20.2.315
- Ye, X.W., Dong, C.Z. and Liu, T. (2016a), "Image-based structural dynamic displacement measurement using different multi-object tracking algorithms", Smart. Struct. Syst., 17(6), 935-956. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2016.17.6.935. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2016.17.6.935
- Ye, X.W., Su, Y.H., Xi, P.S., Chen, B. and Han, J.P. (2016b), "Statistical analysis and probabilistic modeling of WIM monitoring data of an instrumented arch bridge", Smart. Struct. Syst., 17(6), 1087-1105. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2016.17.6.1087. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2016.17.6.1087
- Ye, X.W., Yi, T.H., Dong, C.Z. and Liu, T. (2016c), "Visionbased structural displacement measurement: system performance evaluation and influence factor analysis", Measurement, 88, 372-384. DOI:10.1016/j.measurement.2016.01.024. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2016.01.024
- Zhu, Z.F. and Guo, Z.X. (2018), "Reversed cyclic loading test on emulative hybrid precast concrete shear walls under different vertical loads", J. Civ. Eng., 22(11), 4364-4372. DOI:10.1007/s12205-018-0736-9.