- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Biofortification of mushroom (Pleurotus floridanus) using calcium based supplements
- Odiketa, J.K (Department of Crop and Soil Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Port-Harcourt) ;
- Whitehall, S. (Nutrigain Limited) ;
- Adedokun, O.M. (Department of Crop and Soil Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Port-Harcourt)
- Received : 2020.09.05
- Accepted : 2020.12.16
- Published : 2020.12.31
The nutritional value and yield of mushrooms depend on the substrate on which it is grown. This study sought to biofortify Pleurotus floridanus with calcium supplements and assess its effect on the yield and calcium levels. The experiment was set up in a 2 × 5 factorial and replicated thrice in a completely randomized design. Two calcium supplements, OML and OMW, were added to two growth media. The examination of total dry weight yield showed that calcium supplements OML and OMW in the sawdust medium containing wheatbran in the ratio 1:10 had a mean value of 4.37 g, which was significantly higher (P < 0.05) than that in the control (1.29 g). However, in the sawdust-only medium, there was no significant difference (p > 0.05) in the application of treatments. No significant difference (p > 0.05) was observed between the calcium types in both growth media. The mineral analysis showed that calcium levels were increased in harvested mushrooms with the addition of calcium OML and OMW to the growth media.
- Akindahunsi AA, Oyetayo FL. 2006. Nutrient and antinutrient distribution of edible mushroom, Pleurotus tuber-regium. Lebensm Wiss Technol 548-553.
- Association of Official Analytical Chemistry (AOAC). 2005. Official method of analysis, 18th edition. Association of Official Chemists, Maryland, USA.
- Carrasco J, Diego CZ, Jose EP, Gail MP, Arturo PG. 2018. Supplementation in mushroom crops and its impact on yield and quality. AMB Express 8:146. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13568-018-0678-0. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13568-018-0678-0
- Chiu SW, Chan YH, Law SC, Cheung KT, Moore D. 1998. Cadmium and manganese in contrast to calcium reduce yield and nutritional values of the edible mushroom Pleurotus pulmonarius. Mycol Res 102: 449-457. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0953756297005728
- IPCC. 2007. Summary for Policymakers. In: The Physical Science Basis. Geneva, Switzerland: IPCC Secretariat.
- Jan KK, Moll HC, Nonhebel S, Wilting HC. 1999. Greenhouse gas emissions related to Dutch food consumption. Energy Policy 27: 203-216. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-4215(99)00014-2
- Ofomana F, Adedokun OM. 2020. Can fluted pumpkin (Telfairia occidentalis) Hook.f. serve as supplement for production of oyster mushroom (Pleurotus floridanus) Singer? J Exp Agric Int 42: 47-54. https://doi.org/10.9734/jeai/2020/v42i330483. https://doi.org/10.9734/jeai/2020/v42i330483
- Porter JR, Xie L, Challinor AJ, Cochrane K, Howden SM, Iqbal MM, Lobell DB, Travasso MI. 2014. Food security and food production systems. In: Working Group II to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (Field, C.B., V.R. Barros, D.J. Dokken, K.J. Mach, M.D. Mastrandrea, T.E. Bilir, M. Chatterjee, K.L. Ebi, Y.O. Estrada, R.C. Genova, B. Girma, E.S. Kissel, A.N. Levy, S. MacCracken, P.R. Mastrandrea, and L.L. White [eds.]), Climate Change 2014: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability. Part A: Global and Sectoral Aspects. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA. pp. 485-533.
- Salami AO, Bankole FA. 2017. Use of agro-wastes for tissue culture process and spawn production of oyster mushroom (Pleurotus florida) cultivated on corncobs. SF J Mycol 1: 1-9.
- Singh U, Praharaj CS, Chaturved SK, Bohra A. 2016. Biofortification: introduction, approaches, limitations and challenges. In: U. Singh, C.S. Praharaj, S.S. Singh, N.P. Singh, N.P. (eds.), Biofortification of Food Crops, Springer, India. pp. 3-18. ISBN: 978-81-322-2714-4
- Stamets P. 2000. Growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms. Ten speed press, California, USA. pp 574.
- WHO/FAO. 1998. Vitamin and mineral requirements in human nutrition: report of a joint FAO/WHO expert consultation, 2nd Edition. Bangkok, Thailand. http://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/42716#sthash.niRWmJ9o.dpuf.
- World Health Organisation. 2019. Biofortification. www.who.int/elena/titles/biofortification/en/ [accessed April 12, 2019].