- Volume 21 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The effect of Horse riding exercise, McKenzie Exercise on back pain and muscle activity in patients with low back pain
승마 운동과 McKenzie 운동이 만성허리통증환자의 허리통증과 근활성도에 미치는 영향
- Jung, Nam-Jin (Department of Physical Therapy, Kyungwoon University) ;
- Kim, Ki-Hyun (Department of Physical Therapy, Kyungwoon University) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Sung (Department of Physical Therapy, Kyungwoon University)
- Received : 2020.10.27
- Accepted : 2020.12.04
- Published : 2020.12.31
The aim of this study was to compare the effects of a horseback riding simulator, McKenzie, and gym ball exercises on the Korean-Oswestry Disability Index (K-ODI) and muscle activation in people suffering from chronic low back pain. The study was conducted on 30 adults with a K-ODI of 5 or more and chronic low back pain. This experiment was conducted from May to June 2020. They were randomly divided into the horse-riding exercise group (HEG), McKenzie exercise group (MEG), and the gym ball exercise group (GEG). Each group performed the relevant exercises for six weeks, three times a week. The low back pain was measured with K-ODI, and muscle activation was measured with surface electromyography (SEMG). A paired t-test was conducted to verify the change before and after the experiment in the groups, and a one-way ANOVA was conducted to verify the difference between the three groups. The results of the study showed significant differences before and after the experiment. K-ODI and muscle activity improved (p>.05), and significant differences were also found between the groups (p<.05). This study concluded that horse riding and McKenzie exercises could be effective methods for the treatment of pain and to stabilize the lumbar region in patients with chronic low back pain.
- C. H. Lee, C. K. Chung, C. H. Kim, J. W. Kwon, " Health care burden of spinal diseases in the Republic of Korea: analysis of a nationwide database from 2012 through 2016", Neurospine, Vol.15, No.1, pp66, Mar. 2018. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14245/ns.1836038.019 https://doi.org/10.14245/ns.1836038.019
- J. H. Seong, O. Y. Kwon, C. H. Yi, H. S. Cynn, Y. K. Cho, "Comparison of the Anaerobic Threshold Level between Subjects with and without Non-Specific Chronic Low Back Pain", Physical Therapy, Vol.18, No.1, pp.74-82. Feb. 2011.
- C. Y. Barrey, J. C. Le Huec, "Chronic low back pain: Relevance of a new classification based on the injury pattern", Orthop Traumatol Surg Res, Vol.105, No.2, pp.339-346. April. 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otsr.2018.11.021 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otsr.2018.11.021
- Y. T. Doo, W. S. Eom, "Effect of Short Term Static·Dynamic Lumbar Stability Exercise on the Trunk Muscles Strength and Endurance of Chronic Low Back Pain Female College Students in Their 20's", The Official Journal of the Korean Academy of Kinesiology, Vol.18, No.2, pp.63-69. May. 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15758/jkak.2016.18.2.63 https://doi.org/10.15758/jkak.2016.18.2.63
- M. I. Hasenbring, D. Hallner, A. C. Rusu, "Fear-avoidance- and endurance-related responses to pain: Development and validation of the Avoidance-Endurance Questionnaire (AEQ)", European Journal of Pain, Vol.13, No.6, pp.620-628, Jul. 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpain.2008.11.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpain.2008.11.001
- N. Geva, R. Defrin, "Opposite effects of stress on pain modulation depend on the magnitude of individual stress response", J Pain, Vol.19, No.4, pp.360-371. Apr. 2018. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2017.11.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2017.11.011
- P. Page, C.C. Frank, R. Lardner, Assessment and treatment of muscle imblaance: the Janda approach. HumanKinetics, 2010.
- T. S. Kim, S. S. Kim, B. S. Oh, "The Influence of Combined Exercise and Functional Electrical Stimulation after Core Exercise on Transversus Abdominis Thickness, Lumbar Extension Strength, and Visual Analog Scale of Pain for College Students with Chronic Low Back Pain", Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, Vol.0, No.61, pp549-560, Aug. 2015.
- Z. Liang, C. Fu, Q. Zhang, F. Xiong, L. Peng, L. Chen, Q. Wei, "Effects of water therapy on disease activity, functional capacity, spinal mobility and severity of pain in patients with ankylosing spondylitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis", Disability and Rehabilitation, pp.1-8. Jul. 2019. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1080/09638288.2019.1645218 https://doi.org/10.1080/09638288.2019.1645218
- E. S.Kim, D. S. Gil, S. B. Kim, J. H. Hong, D. Y. Lee, J. H. Yu, J. S. Kim, "The Comparisons of Different Abdominal Drawing-in Maneuver During Plank exercises on trunk stability". Medico Legal Update, Vol.19, No.2, pp.404-410. 2019 DOI:https://doi.org/10.5958/0974-1283.2019.00211.1 https://doi.org/10.5958/0974-1283.2019.00211.1
- E. Y. Park, W. H. Kim, "Effect of Spinal Stabilization Exercise and Manual Therapy on Visual Analogue Scale and Oswestry Disability Index in Acute or Subacute Patients with Low Back Pain", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.14, No.4, pp.1792-1798, Apr. 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.4.1792 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.4.1792
- D. H. Kim, T. H. Kim, "The Effects of Sling and Resistance Exercises on Muscle Activity and Pelvic Rotation Angle During Active Straight Leg Raises and Pain in Patients with Chronic Low Back Pain", Korean Society of Physical Medicine, Vol.13, No.4, pp.113-121, Nov. 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2018.13.4.113 https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2018.13.4.113
- A. G. Moraes, F. Copetti, V. R. Angelo, L. L Chiavoloni, A. C. David, "The effects of hippotherapy on postural balance and functional ability in children with cerebral palsy", J Ohys Ther Sci, Vol. 28, No.8, pp.2220-2226. Sept. 2016. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1590/1980-5918.029.003.AO07 https://doi.org/10.1590/1980-5918.029.003.AO07
- E. A. Bhadauria, P. Gurudut, "Comparative effectiveness of lumbar stabilization, dynamic strengthening, and Pilates on chronic low back pain: randomized clinical trial", Journal of exercise rehabilitation, Vol.13, No.4, pp.477. Aug. 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12965/jer.1734972.486 https://doi.org/10.12965/jer.1734972.486
- J. A. Hides, C. A. Richardson, G. A. Jull, "Multifidus muscle recovery is not automatic after resolution of acute, first-episode low back pain", Spine, Vol.21, No.23, pp.2763-2769, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199612010-00011
- L. A. C. Machado, M. V. S. De Souza, P. H. Ferreira, M. L. Ferreira, "The McKenzie method for low back pain: a systematic review of the literature with a meta-analysis approach", Spine, Vol.31, No.9, pp.254-262, Apr. 2006. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000214884.18502.93 https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000214884.18502.93
- B. D. Seo, Y. D. Yun, H. R. Kim, S. H. Lee, "Effect of 12-week swiss ball exercise program on physical fitness and balance ability of elderly women", Journal of Physical Therapy Science, Vol.24, No.1, pp.11-15, Jan. 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.24.11 https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.24.11
- A. Mori, "Electromyographic activity of selected trunk muscles during stabilization exercises using a gym ball" Electromyography and clinical neurophysiology, Vol.44, No.1, pp.57-64, Jan. 2004.
- J Michael, N. P. Andre, "The great body ball handbook(2nd printing), Production fitness products, 2000.
- P. M. Wippert, A. K. Puschmann, D. DrieBlein, A. Arampatzis, W. Banzer, H. Beck, H., F. Maye, "Development of a risk stratification and prevention index for stratified care in chronic low back pain. Focus: yellow flags (MiSpEx network)", Pain Reports, Vol.2, No.6, pp.e623. Nov. 2017. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1097/PR9.0000000000000623 https://doi.org/10.1097/PR9.0000000000000623
- E. T. Maas, J. N. S. Juch, R. W. J. G. Ostelo, J. G. Groeneweg, J. W. Kallewaard, B. W. Koes, M. W. van Tulder, "Systematic review of patient history and physical examination to diagnose chronic low back pain originating from the facet joints" Eur J Pain, Vol.21, No.3, pp.403-414. 2017 https://doi.org/10.1002/ejp.963
- H. S. Kim, J. Y. Park, "The effect of Horseback riding simulat or, Sling and Kendall Exercise on a cranio-vertebral angle and neck pain in Young Adults with Forward Head Posture", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.21, No.6, pp.468-474. Jun. 2020. DOI:https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2020.21.6.468 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2020.21.6.468
- Y. J. Cha, K. Kim, "Reliability and validity of the Korean version of the fear of daily activities questionnaire for patients with low back pain", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.11, No.5, pp.224-232, Jan. 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.5.224 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.5.224
- W. Y. Oh, C. C. Ryew, J. H. Kim, S. H. Hyun, " Kinematic analysis of horse-riding posture according to skill levels during rising trot with JeJu-horse", Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, Vol.19, No.3, pp.467-479. Sept. 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2009.19.3.467 https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2009.19.3.467
- R. Mckenzie, "A perspective on manipulative therapy" Physiotherapy, Vol.75, No.8, pp.440-444, Aug. 1989. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9406(10)62622-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9406(10)62622-3
- H. Y. Cho, "Comparing the effects of core stability exercise between using treatment ball and fixed support", Graduate School of Special Education, Dankook University, Cheonan, Korea. 2006.
- A. Chiarotto, L. J. Maxwell, C. B. Terwee, G. A. Wells, P. Tugwell, R. W. Ostelo, "Roland-Morris Disability Questionnaire and Oswestry Disability Index: which has better measurement properties for measuring physical functioning in nonspecific low back pain? Systematic review and meta-analysis", Phys Ther, Vol.96, No.10, pp.1620-1637. Oct. 2016. DOI:https://doi.org/10.2522/ptj.20150420 https://doi.org/10.2522/ptj.20150420
- G. Meregillano, "Hippotherapy" Physical medicine and rehabilitation clinics of North America, Vol.15, No.4, pp.843-54, Nov. 2004. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmr.2004.02.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmr.2004.02.002
- D. Silkwood-Sherer, H. Warmbier "Effects of hippotherapy on postural stability, in persons with multiple sclerosis: a pilot study" Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy, Vol.31, No.2, pp.77-84, Jun. 2007. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1097/NPT.0b013e31806769f7 https://doi.org/10.1097/NPT.0b013e31806769f7
- S. H. Cho, B. H. Oh, B. G. Hwang, "The effects of hippotherapy on the activities of trunk muscles in preterm born children with spastic cerebral palsy", Journal of Special Education & Rehabilitation Science, Vol.51, No1, pp.349-364, 2012.
- E. Krejci, M. Janura, Z. Svoboda, "The benefit of hippotherapy for improvement of attention and memory in children with cerebral palsy: A pilot study", Acta Gymnica, Vol.45, No.1, pp.27-32, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5507/ag.2015.004 https://doi.org/10.5507/ag.2015.004
- C. Lee, I. Lee, H. Kim, "The effect of horse-riding exercise on pain and body flexibility for the patient with chronic low back pain" Journal of The Korean Society of Integrative Medicine, Vol.1, No.4, pp.67-74, Dec. 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2013.1.4.067 https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2013.1.4.067
- M. Czajka, A. Truszczynska-Baszak, M. Kowalczyk, "The effectiveness of McKenzie Method in diagnosis and treatment of low back pain-a literature review", Advances in Rehabilitation, Vol.2018, No.1, pp.5-11. 2018
- D. H. Kim, "A Comparison of Effects between Trunk Stabilization Exercises and Balacne Exercises's Muscle Activaity on Female Patients of Chronic Low Back Pain", aster's thesis, Daegu University of Rehabilitation Science, Daegu, Korea. 2016
- P. B. O'Sullivan, A. Burnett, A. N. Floyd, K. Gadsdon, J. Logiudice, D. Miller, H. Quirke,, "Lumbar repositioning deficit in a specific low back pain population", Spine, Vol.28, No.10, pp.1074-1079, May. 2003. DOI: http://DOI.org/10.1097/01.BRS.0000061990.56113.6F https://doi.org/10.1097/01.BRS.0000061990.56113.6F
- M. H. Halliday, E. Pappas, M. J. Hancock, H. A. Clare, R. Z. Pinto, G. Robertson, P. H. Ferreira, "A randomized controlled trial comparing the McKenzie method to motor control exercises in people with chronic low back pain and a directional preference", J Orthop Sports Phys Ther, Vol.46, No.7, pp.514-522. Jun. 2016. DOI:https://www.jospt.org/doi/10.2519/jospt.2016.6379 https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2016.6379
- S. H. Kim, W. H. Lee, "Effects of spinal stabilization training on Chronic Low Back Pain in Private Guard and Security" Korean Security Journal, No..20, pp.71-93, Jul. 2009.
- C. B. Park, E. H. Jung, H. S. Lee, "A Study on Bodyblade Training of Convergency Relation of Trunk Muscles Activity and Pain in Patients with Low Back Pain", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol.8, No.11, pp.123-131, Sept. 2017. DOI:https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.11.123 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.11.123